MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mould Recommendation for 50 cal 1:28

Boolit Master

Mould Recommendation for 50 cal 1:28

So far I've tried 490 round ball, Lee REALs and the Lee improved mini. All shoot OK but not real tight. I can only get the REAL to shoot a nice clover at 50 keeping the speed below 900fps.

I'm thinking I need something heavier like 500gr or more. Can anyone recommend a good 50cal mould for a 1:28 twist?

Boolit Master
    I would start with a lubed wad over the powder.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    I shoot everything but the Mini with a wonder wad.

I just ordered this because they only had one left. Now none. It's a 500S&W boolit with small little lube groves but I guess if it doesn't work out I now have a good excuse to buy a 500 S&W revolver
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...2-2-cavity-pb/

Boolit Grand Master

The TC maxiball. You can get them from Track of the Wolf.

I shoot 260 to 300 gr. 44cal. pistol boolits in a sabot in my 1/20 twist. 70 to 90 grs. 2f, 3"groups @ 100yds all day long. Every corn cruncher I've shot was DRT, and all were pass throughs.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The TC maxiball. You can get them from Track of the Wolf.
    Everything is out of stock there

Boolit Master
    Look on Gunbroker, there's usually someone selling maxi's there

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 for the maxi-ball. Didn't have as good luck with the maxi-hunter. Some like 'em better but having shot hundreds of 'em, I stayed with the maxi-ball.

Hello Super Sneaky Steve,

I've been shooting the RCBS 45-300-FN with a MMP Sabot in a Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1:32.
    They shoot well.
    We've experimented with the LEE 452-255-RF with a Thompson Center 1:48, but have not finished experimenting.

AntiqueSledMan.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    Myself and some friends shoot the Lyman Great plains 50 caliber bullet, weight about 385 grains in soft lead, ahead of 100 to 120 grains of FF-G and a lubed felt wad, from Remington 700 in-lines. The bullets are sized to groove diameter and lubed with SPG. It's not uncommon to see some very good groups, under 2"" at 100 yards with iron sights. Unfortunately I'm not one of those that shoot those small groups. Declining eyesight and shaky hands don't make for small groups.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

I shoot 429421 in a sabot in my T/C Hawken in it's factory barrel. Shoots very well with 80 gr Pyrodex RS. Doesn't kick as bad as Maxiballs and is much more available. I know it's not a 28 twist, but I bet 28 twist would work well since it's in the neighborhood of 44 mag rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

+ another for the TC Maxi, I belive there is a mould for it on the for sale forum(?).

I use the Maxi-Ball in my TC Black Mtn Magnum 50 cal which has a 1-28" twist. This 6 shots at 100 yards; first from the barrel then 5 from the speed loaders w/o cleaning or wiping between shots. I cast them out of 16-1 alloy and lube with my beeswax/olive oil lube. I load over Triple 7 3fg. Velocity is 1550 fps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	504.1 KB 
ID:	302583
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

TOTW has a 6 hole maxiball mold for 61.99 I just looked.

Boolit Master
    Check out my post on paper patching.

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Myself and some friends shoot the Lyman Great plains 50 caliber bullet, weight about 385 grains in soft lead, ahead of 100 to 120 grains of FF-G and a lubed felt wad, from Remington 700 in-lines. The bullets are sized to groove diameter and lubed with SPG. It's not uncommon to see some very good groups, under 2"" at 100 yards with iron sights. Unfortunately I'm not one of those that shoot those small groups. Declining eyesight and shaky hands don't make for small groups.
    That's gotta hurt at both ends...
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    My Lyman GPH (1-32 twist) likes the Hornady Great Plains. But, I also shoot paper patched, 450gn from BACO or cast Lee 500S&W mold. They are all sized to be a slip fit in the bore, including the Hornady bullets (.502 for my rifle). Load powder charge, card wad, lubed felt wad, then bullet. I can usually shoot 4 or 5 shots with decent accuracy without wiping the bore. The Hornady bullets shoot best with 100gn powder, the 450 BACO and Lee design work best for me at around 80gn.

I tried the 500gn BACO bullets, but, I could not get them fast enough to stabilize with my barrel. Yours might be fast enough to work.

When casting I use a soft alloy 8-10bhn.

Yes, on a bare shoulder it hurts I use a PAST recoil pad so I don't have any bruises the following days.

PS with these kinds of loads you will wear out percussion nipples on a regular basis.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    TOTW has a 6 hole maxiball mold for 61.99 I just looked.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...LEE-32-MAXI-6C

They do but only in 32 caliber as far as I can see. Their website is confusing.

Boolit Grand Master

It's right under their maxiball molds by Lee. They only have 32 and 50 calibers. Link below. All I can say is wow. I think I paid $50 for my Thompson Center single cavity mold. That 6 cavity Lee is a no brainer. I think I'm going to buy one myself.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...LEE-50-MAXI-6C

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Everything is out of stock there
    I just checked. 50 caliber Maxiballs are definitely in stock.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/129/1

Boolit Master
    I just ordered the Maxi Ball mould. I bought a box of them long ago and I still have a few left. I never got them to shoot very well. They are tight in my bore.

I'm going to try and size mine down to .501 and only lube the bottom grove. The store bought ones have old crusty yellow bore butter all the way up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast