Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Look At What I Found In The Road Today!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    Having worked on the road for almost 40 years with my own expensive tools, how about trying to find who it belongs to?

I mean a Facebook/social media post to identify said item found at the spot.

Might be a Dad trying his best to support a family with what he has.

I never liked the gun show rip off threads. "Look what I bought for $$!!", about half what it is worth. Why cheat some one and then brag about it?

Don
    Dodge enough ladders laying on the highway because they weren't secured and you'll develop a pretty callous attitude about stuff lost on the road. Add the bags of trash, furniture and yard waste and I'd say not bothering to secure loads is an epidemic. Local cop got shot and killed last week when he stopped a scumbag for an expired temporary tag so I honestly don't blame them for looking the other way. If it's someone who would be hard pressed to replace the loss then I'd suggest they make sure everything is secure and not expect everyone else to try to return things lost due to carelessness or inattention.

So far as buying used firearms it's rare to be able to return an item found to be defective so I consider a used firearm is only worth what it could be parted out for at the most. If you place any value on your time and add shipping then used firearms at a gun show have to be bought cheap unless you're a gambler.

Moderator Emeritus

3-4 years ago, a semi driver saw something odd on the interstate very early in the morning and backed up to make sure. It was friends, son's body after a rollover and toss out the side door of the car. Broken arms, shoulders, cracked skull, broken hips and legs and his soles separated from his feet. After some really good surgeons, Mike is kicking it today. I am really glad some folks stop.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    My first big spanner was a Crescent 12" shifter I found half buried in the dirt road on the way to school....somewhat worn out before loss,and bent as well,I used it to work on Harleys and Indians in the days a kid could get them for pocket money.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice find! Reading the title my first thoughts were that you found a wheelwright!

Boolit Master
    i have seen complete sets of dual wheels from a truck still bolted to the hub.....from a truck the company owned....

Years ago had a pick up had the tail gate down and came flying out of the parking lot of the liquor store and a case of beer drop out in front me. I had to stop before I hit it , they did not know what happened. I picked it up and only lost one beer from the case. It was the brand I had drink .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Nice find! Reading the title my first thoughts were that you found a wheelwright!
    Almost exactly what I was thinking.
    Almost.

Boolit Master

Intersection Tools! Love them! Some are roadside gems...
    Dodge cars? Not on YOUR life. When it is clear from Maine to Miami - go get 'em.

Carpenter's hammers
    Socket wrenches
    Sockets
    Steamboat ratchet jack
    Wheel weights
    4# sledgehammer
    Screw drivers
    400 Lumen flashlight, Bushnell Pro, on a bridge shoulder, before dawn, lit, which made me look and facing traffic (none at that hour)
    2200 Lumen flashlight, Stanley "Fatmax" rechargeable, on a roadside, middle of the day, tiny scratch, works great
    20-ft. chain with hooked ends
    Ratchet straps, 10K test

Who is the "rightful" owner? I am!
    If I see you lose it, or you are about to, I will track you and tell you. That is fair play.
    If it is lying there, no distinguishing marks, it is free-Free-FREE!
    Last edited by Land Owner; 07-27-2022 at 09:25 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Back in the day when I was working convicts on a road crew cleaning ditches, got everything from crescent wrenches/crowbars to steak knives to hot beers, and ONE .25 caliber pocket pistol ! Thought either me or the guard was gonna have to shoot the vic that found it as he was trying to do the wild west twirl with it before giving it up. Had 3 in the mag, none in the chamber. Different con found it, mighta been pocketed and caused some real trouble.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a yeti cooler full of beer and liquor including a yeti 32oz mug. We drank the beer and left the liquor near a garbage can for a lucky Cleveland hobo!

Boolit Master
    I was working on a truck beside the expressway,couldnt get at a nut behind the turbo,so I went to bend a spanner .....hit it hard ,it sprung way across the lanes of traffic and bounced off a car .....one spanner I was leaving for someone else.

Boolit Master

Found a few small tools but my best find was a 10 foot, 1" hex brass bar. Two nights in a row I noticed something blink of the shoulder of the freeway, stopped the third night and picked up the bar.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    I WAS BEHIND A ROOFING COMPANY TRUCK YEARS AGO ON THE FREWAY A NEW BOX 25lb BOX OF ROOFING NAILS FELL OFF AND EXPLODED ON THE HIGHWAY IN HEAVY TRAFIC I WAS LUCKY THE CARS BEHIND ME NOT SO MANY FLAT TIRES TIRES

I found a pouch full of sheet metal tools years ago and two days later saw the add in the paper. Young kid lost them on the way to work off the back of his motorcycle. Was happy to return them and declined the reward.

Found a purse and tracked the owner 3 hours before her flight back to England, again declined the reward. She sent a gift card once she got home.

Found a wallet a guy lost off the back of of his bike, tracked him down and returned it. He acted like I stole it. You never know who you meet now a day.

Found $110 in a bar, told bartender if anyone reports lost money to send them my way. Never happened, lucky me and the bartender as a tip was left.

Tools I keep unless I find a post of them being lost. Still looking for that treasure chest.

Wheel weights were always mine, worked on roadways for 40+ years. Still look for them out of habit.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hmmmm . . . in Michigan, you don't have to worry about stuff falling out of an open tailgate, etc. . . . with all the potholed stuff just sort of bounces out . . .

Boolit Grand Master

When my buddy retired from farming his Son and Nephew took over the ground. We would run parts for them, sometimes even out of State. So we covered a lot of miles.

We made a game of picking up weights at intersections and on/off ramps. We often found tools, mostly cheap ones but the occasional nee one. Out oddest find was a Lyman ingot! Would love to know its story. I carried a magnet on a stick and could often reach weights out of the window.

As a disclaimer, we were very cautious about traffic and very conscience of causing congestion to other traffic.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Found a few small tools but my best find was a 10 foot, 1" hex brass bar. Two nights in a row I noticed something blink of the shoulder of the freeway, stopped the third night and picked up the bar.
    drool!!!

Boolit Master
    I was driving I5 in the dense Tule Fog of the central valley trying to keep my attention on driving. Mile after mile of Grey and you just want to go to sleep so I started scanning side to side. A 5 foot tall full size camper shell appeared 50 feet ahead in the middle of my lane and I missed it.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Driving almost 4,000,000 ive found a bunch of stuff. Canoe paddles, life jackets, coolers, tools, ladders, case of beer, Nikon Camera in case, AR-15 (called cops on that one and stood guard), lumber, cubes of peat moss. Tons of stuff
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Found some things, lost some. Heading to the hunting lease a few years ago I let the teenager riding shotgun close the tailgate of my truck. He was born around trucks so no need to doubt his ability. My mistake. Lost the cooler with our food and drinks for the weekend. Cost me a replacement for his dad’s cooler and a new batch of food and drinks.

After getting the truck reassembled one evening after dark I went for a test drive. I heard the creeper rolling around but forgot that the tailgate was down. It was a brand new creeper.

Best find was around 1980, long before the Internet and social media. I found a metal toolbox in the road in front of where I worked. Picked it up, brought it inside and found welding torches and associated items. Kept it there for a couple of weeks in case someone came looking for it and eventually took it home. It contained a Victor 315 torch with a cutting head, several tips, a rosebud, three welding tips and small stuff like a soapstone holder, goggles, tip cleaners, etc. I still have and use it.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast