Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illinois toll roads

Boolit Master

Paying tolls on roads you’ve already paid for through taxation is theft by any other name. If they want to charge a fee for driving on state roads let them refund the gas tax you pay every time you fill up.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Paying tolls on roads you’ve already paid for through taxation is theft by any other name. If they want to charge a fee for driving on state roads let them refund the gas tax you pay every time you fill up.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Moderator Emeritus

Last toll road I was on was back in the early 80's. We were headed east on I90 and had to go thru Chicago... it was 3AM so not much traffic and we made good time.

Between 2 toll booths a pickup entered form the ditch and started following a semi, then the pickup spun around and backed up to the truck at 60mph, they cut the door seal and proceeded to unload sides of beef. Pickup took off back the way they came leaving the truck doors flapping in the breeze. We hollered at the trucker as we slowed for the toll lane, he hollered back, "I know, that was the mob taking their cut"... we made tracks in the next stretch to get away from his truck LOL did 80mph to the next toll booth.

Coming back we took a different route around south of Chicago because it was going to be rush hour on a Friday with bad thunderstorms/tornadoes tossed in for fun. We missed one tornado by 1/2 mile... drove thru large hail and torrential downpours... I can only imagine the mess the I90 loop was around Chicago!

Illinois could be a beautiful state if Aliens abducted all of the politicians and Chicago sank into the lake.

I would even settle for domestic aliens if they would drag them back to Mexico with them.
    I just want to say, I have many Mexican friends or should I say Hispanic.
    I welcome anybody who enters this country legally.

Boolit Buddy
    i will take my plate off if i ever go thru Chicago again

Boolit Master
    Back when pavement was new, New Hampshire paved the Fred Everette Turnpike, a marvel of it's day. My Dad bought tokens at a discount, quarter and dime looking coins, to pay for the road. We usually rode the road going home on a Sunday night. Sometimes we would shun-pike down old RT 3A to save a quarter, and Dad taught me how to chain up our Impala for the project. The toll road would be jammed for a wreck every time it snowed a little, so we rattled down the old road on chains. That heavy old Impala was a beast in snow on chains.

NH said they would remove the tollbooths, but built a state liquor store instead.
    AFAIK NH has the only tollbooth/ liquor stores.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I don't like driving through that state.
    Boy i hear you! Drove through Cairo, Illinois a few weeks back after staying in Hannibal, Missouri. It is much worse than even Gary, Indiana.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    I've been going from MN to Louisville, KY every year for several decades. First trips were through Chicago and never pleasant. Finally figured it made more sense to bypass Chicago and go south on I-39 from Rockford to Bloomington, then east to Indy and south to Louisville. A few more miles but time was comparable and certainly less stress. Breezing through Rockford and Bloomington is easy. Tolls are less also. IL line to Rockford then the toll bridge in Louisville. Even if going east I'll drop down to I-80, go through Joliet and catch the far south side of Chicago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12