Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a difference from 100 yrs. ago.

What a difference from 100 yrs. ago.

The year is 1922, one hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes! Here are some interesting statistics for the year 1922:

The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
    Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.
    Only 14 percent of homes had a bathtub.
    Only 8 percent of homes had a telephone.
    The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
    The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.
    The average US wage in 1922 was 22 cents per hour.
    The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
    A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year.
    A dentist earned $2,500 per year.
    A veterinarian between $1,500 and 4,000 per year.
    And, a mechanical engineer earned about $5,000 per year.
    More than 95 percent of all births took place at home.
    Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND in the government as "substandard."
    Sugar cost four cents a pound.
    Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
    Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
    Most women washed their hair once a month and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
    Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
    The five leading causes of death were:

Pneumonia and influenza
    Tuberculosis
    Diarrhea
    Heart disease
    Stroke

The American flag had 48 stars.
    The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was only 30.
    Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
    There was neither a Mother's Day nor Father's Day.
    Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write And, only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
    Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were available over the counter at local drugstores. Back then pharmacists said: "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach, bowels, and is a perfect guardian of health!" (Shocking?)
    Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.
    There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.
    I am now going to forward this to someone else without typing it myself. From there, it will be sent to others all over the WORLD all in a matter of seconds!
    It is impossible to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years. Never mind 100 years. Maybe in just 5 more years!

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master

Perhaps in 5 years:

Attachment 302478
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Kinda lookin like it.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master

Even that might be optimistic.

Boolit Master

This list of statistics from 100 years ago has been floating around the internet in one form or another since at least 2004. Like most internet facts, many are incorrect or misleading.

Here's the list from 2004:

https://www.farmanddairy.com/columns...ugar/8319.html

Moderator Emeritus

I will call bs on the bathtub. I have been in the 1920 Sears houses ordered from the catalog and all had built in tubs. When you include the water trough style that you filled with a bucket and emptied out on the lawn, I think many had tubs.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    We moved into town in 1960, I was 11. Until then water was pumped by hand, water heater was a gas hot plate and the copper canner. Bath tub, the rince tub from wash day. Toilet was 100 or so feet from the back door, a two holler.
    I still have the canner and hot plate. I wouldn't want to go back.

Bill

Boolit Bub
    There was also a much larger percent of the population who were farmers. Many more who had gardens.

Boolit Master
    If things continue as they currently are, in 100 years the USA will be a feudal, agrarian society, IMHO. And that's all that I'll say about that.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

If things continue as they currently are, in 100 years the USA will be a waste land as will the entire Earth IF we continue to bend over to tyrannical control such as present day. Presently we are on a collision course with full scale Nuke war. God is the redeemer; get right today.

Boolit Master
    The Model T Ford was introduced in 1916 or 1917, and there were other cars even before that, so there WOULD have been gasoline filling stations.

At one time, gasoline WAS probably sold in drug stores only. It was sold as a cleaning fluid. Basically a by-product of producing coal oil and kerosene. Gasoline had no real demand. Much of it was just sent down the river.

Boolit Master
    My Father was born in 1920 and died in 2013. My Grandfather died in 1932 and left 8 kids, then the barn burnt down and they lost a milk cow. What they lived in would hardly be called a shack today. I have set and listened to a lot of his stories and most people would not believe them today. That 22 cents would have been a blessing.

There was no money for a doctor or dentist. You pretty much lived or died. Somehow all 8 kids lived to a ripe old age as did my Grandmother at 94. It would be an understatement to say she was tough.

Dad learned to make moonshine by helping his father. When he was 14 he was running a still for a guy and made 15 cents a day. Another offered 15 cents a day and a pint of shine. Dad sold the pint for 50 cents, he said it was the biggest raise he ever got.

I have considered writing some of it down but wonder if any of the younger ones really care or believe how hard it could be.

Boolit Grand Master

To see the real difference you need to look farther than just what people had and what they made. People were true neighbors they didnt sit by while others struggled they offered what help and assistance they could

Boolit Master
    "I have considered writing some of it down but wonder if any of the younger ones really care or believe how hard it could be."

beemer----My experience----Several years ago my Granddaughter sent me a small "journal" type book and asked me to write down the stories I had told her as she grew up. The book would have been too small for her request so I began to do as she asked using the computer. The result was a sort of family history that included many of the things I experienced in life. I then had the information printed into a spiral bound book and had several copies made. I wanted the title to read "Ramblings of an Old Fart" but Gail nixed that so it is simply called "Ramblings". I gave her one and also each of my sons. Gail showed the book to her kids (my step kids) and her grandchildren. I was surprised when each asked for a copy. So, I encourage you to record whatever history you can recall, your offspring (and others) will likely have a great deal of interest.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    The year is 1922, one hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes! Here are some interesting statistics for the year 1922:

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were available over the counter at local drugstores. Back then pharmacists said: "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach, bowels, and is a perfect guardian of health!" (Shocking?)
    It is impossible to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years. Never mind 100 years. Maybe in just 5 more years!

RP
    https://www.narconon.org/drug-inform...n-history.html

And IIRC, the inventor of Heroin was Bayer, the folks who also "invented" aspirin. Though willow bark tea has been used for millennia.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe in another 100 years people will stop passing around lists that are so obviously false that I check it isn't april 1st. I fact check the first two, both are 100% false. I'm not even going to bother with anything else.

Edit: Ok I had to check one more. Las Vegas, NV population in 1920 census in 1920: 2,304. Ok, that's enough of this post wasting my time. Is this post a joke, or did you honestly believe anything you posted?

Boolit Master
    As i look back i remember buying premium gas for my 1970 ltd for 25.9 cents per gallion

Boolit Grand Master

The AVERAGE age of death does not take into account the massive childhood deaths in those days. Walk through a cemetary and you will see a lot of dead children and a lot of folks who made it to 70 80 and even older. If you lived through whooping cough measles of different sorts chicken or small pox polio scarlett fever and such you could live a long life.

They may have been backwards back then, but I bet their morals were a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    The Model T Ford was introduced in 1916 or 1917, and there were other cars even before that, so there WOULD have been gasoline filling stations.

At one time, gasoline WAS probably sold in drug stores only. It was sold as a cleaning fluid. Basically a by-product of producing coal oil and kerosene. Gasoline had no real demand. Much of it was just sent down the river.
    Standard Oil was built on kerosene for lamps as their main petroleum product.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast