Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
BonettTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 119

Thread: Is powder and primers ever coming back?

  1. #41
    Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,574
    I called the LGS and the only primers he has are CCI SP magnum. 99.95 per 1000.
    Gibsons in Weatherford had CCI SR magnum for $100/1000. They also had several powders but I quit looking when I saw 4198 for $58 lb.
    I'll probably buy some SP or LR at that price if it appears.
    It is what it is.

    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

  2. #42
    Boolit Master
    Eddie Southgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I can't understand why you think voting would matter. Trump banned bump stocks, Reagan supported gun bans and so did Bush. So far Biden hasn't done much except supposedly banning Russian ammo. I think it's very foolish to think any of these worthless power seeking idiots are on your side. The NRA hasn't put up much of a fight either. I guess they don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
    Which gun bans were implemented during the Bush or Regan administrations ? Governor Ronald Regan did sign into law the Mulford act in California barring unlicensed carry of firearms on the street as a deterrent to the Black Panthers carrying guns after they showed up armed at the California State Capitol in 1967. Didn't work then and has not worked since as witnessed by all of the armed protesters and rioters that did their best to destroy any number of American cities unhindered prior to biteme's election (??) . I do not trust any person in political office period . If they are not crooked when they take office they get that way if they stay in office very long. "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Action 1834-1902 , nothing has changes since he said it.

    Regan on guns.
    https://www.thoughtco.com/gun-rights...-reagan-721343
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/re...control-quote/

    He thought gun control as a personal opinion but as President Of The United States he held to his oath and upheld the second amendment because that was his job , he asked for it , he got it , and he did it and did a damned fine job of it.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 07-25-2022 at 08:54 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Which gun bans were implemented during the Bush or Regan administrations ? Governor Ronald Regan did sign into law the Mulford act in California barring unlicensed carry of firearms on the street as a deterrent to the Black Panthers carrying guns after they showed up armed at the California State Capitol in 1967. Didn't work then and has not worked since as witnessed by all of the armed protesters and rioters that did their best to destroy any number of American cities unhindered prior to biteme's election (??) . I do not trust any person in political office period . If they are not crooked when they take office they get that way if they stay in office very long. "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Action 1834-1902 , nothing has changes since he said it.

    Regan on guns.
    https://www.thoughtco.com/gun-rights...-reagan-721343
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/re...control-quote/

    He thought gun control as a personal opinion but as President Of The United States he held to his oath and upheld the second amendment because that was his job , he asked for it , he got it , and he did it and did a damned fine job of it.
    From your link.

    Reagan also cast his support behind the two most controversial pieces of gun control legislation of the past 30 years. His support of the Assault Weapons Ban in 1994 may have directly led to the ban winning the approval of Congress.

    Congress passed the ban by a vote of 216-214. In addition to Klug voting for the ban after Reaganís last-minute plea, Rep. Dick Swett, D-New Hampshire., also credited Reaganís support of the bill for helping him decide to cast a favorable vote
    Is this really the best you can do? Right now the ATF is trying to ban pistol braces. They are doing that because bump stocks were banned. Once they ban pistol braces they will try to ban something else. No one is going to bat for us so no one deserves a vote.

  4. #44
    Boolit Buddy
    Huskerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Home prices are currently outrageous nationwide. Out of curiosity I looked at home prices in the neighborhood where I bought my first house 30 years ago and prices are up 400%. That's in a part of town where I wouldn't want to live which was why I sold the house back then. A $45K house built in the mid 1960s is now a $180K house.

    I certainly don't see how it can possibly be worth more than half that price.
    I find all of this current mess an interesting perspective on life. I read over and over the only reason for high gas is oil company greed or high ammo/primer cost are greed but think nothing of buying a house from someone and paying 10k or more than asking price. It's called the free market. We love it when it works for us hate when it works against us.

  5. #45
    Boolit Grand Master

    Winger Ed.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just outside Gun Barrel City, Texas
    Posts
    6,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerguy View Post
    I find all of this current mess an interesting perspective on life..
    Me too. And there are other interesting things I ponder about.

    Such as--
    It it some sort of IQ test when people spend $1.29 plus tax for a 16 ounce bottle of water?

    Or people who don't think twice about going through the drive thru at Burger Biggie,
    spend around $10.oo for a bag of salt and grease along with a cup of sugar water---
    but $8-9.oo for a one pound T bone steak is way too expensive.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.


    OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

  6. #46
    Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,574
    This thread should have moved to The Pit soon after the OP.
    Just sayin"
    Since I first voted in 1976 we've had two and one half good Presidents (in my opinion)
    Reagan, Trump, and W.

    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

  7. #47
    Boolit Master
    Eddie Southgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    From your link.



    Is this really the best you can do? Right now the ATF is trying to ban pistol braces. They are doing that because bump stocks were banned. Once they ban pistol braces they will try to ban something else. No one is going to bat for us so no one deserves a vote.
    He supported it after he was out of office. He personally supported some forms of gun control even though he knew it really served no purpose. None of that happened while he was president was the only point I was making. As president he supported the second amendment and never asked for any new gun laws.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

  8. #48
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    724
    Heads up! I just got 3 bricks of primers, a keg of W748, keg of H4831, and a few singles of 4064 at Powder Valley! They just got LOADS of stock in. It's a mans candy scramble!

  9. #49
    Boolit Master Hannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East of KCMO
    Posts
    1,344
    One other thing I've noticed is the LGSs have placed other stock in the area where reloading supplies used to be. I wonder how many will ever sell reloading supplies in the future even if/when the supply returns. Time will tell.

  10. #50
    Boolit Buddy ACC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    It will get better if and when the President, Congress , and Senate are not controlled by the kind of morons that control it now. This happens every time they take over, nothing new . This is however the worst it's been ,but this bunch is the worst we have ever been forced to deal with so that should not be a surprise to anyone. Delete away !


    PS: Who was in office the last time that gas got so high you couldn't afford it ? Bush gas prices $1-$2 range , Osama $4-$5 range and higher, Trump $2-$3 range , prices of everything else follows. Sniff was in office for only a very short time before gas prices started to climb. For the record , I am not a Trump fan but I will vote for him again if forced to , and we will lose again most likely.
    With gas, the problem is the DEMS want to be in control of everything including the environment, so they do what they can to control fossil fuels so they can press their agenda on the people.

    Same with ammunition. If they can't take your gun away they are going to do every thing they can to make it a door stop.

    Also once again let me remind everyone that ammunition manufacturers are not our friends. They want to make hand over fist profits. Weather it is the individual or the government. They want to soke who ever they can. And since ammunition manufacturing in the US is a monopoly don't expect much relief.

    What I am wondering is if over seas companies bring in to much ammo and things, will slow Joe ban them?

    Andrew

  11. #51
    Boolit Master Hannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East of KCMO
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    With gas, the problem is the DEMS want to be in control of everything including the environment, so they do what they can to control fossil fuels so they can press their agenda on the people.

    Same with ammunition. If they can't take your gun away they are going to do every thing they can to make it a door stop.

    Also once again let me remind everyone that ammunition manufacturers are not our friends. They want to make hand over fist profits. Weather it is the individual or the government. They want to soke who ever they can. And since ammunition manufacturing in the US is a monopoly don't expect much relief.

    What I am wondering is if over seas companies bring in to much ammo and things, will slow Joe ban them?

    Andrew
    All this complaining about the cost of components and hording yet on this very site new threads show up regularly and the available items are scooped up.

    We have met the enemy......

  12. #52
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Western NC
    Posts
    3,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Does anyone know anything? Are brighter days coming?
    No one knows that. Today's ammo & component "shortage" is for makers to fill huge (Democrat and RINO controlled) government contracts from 12 gauge to .22 RF and that's politically driven, just as it was during the Obozo/Biden days.

    None of us can possibly know any more about when any "brighter days" will come than you but we still have at least two more years of the present regime and I believe nothing will improve until Brandon and his evil clones are gone. And that means the deep state Dems and RINOS have at least two more chances to agan pack millions of illegal votes into the counting systems to protect their power before anything could really change. Until then, anything hopeful we might tell you now would just be our wishing, no better than your own.

    Never forget: Firearms only have two lethal enemies; rust and Democrats.

  13. #53
    Boolit Master Stopsign32v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Heads up! I just got 3 bricks of primers, a keg of W748, keg of H4831, and a few singles of 4064 at Powder Valley! They just got LOADS of stock in. It's a mans candy scramble!
    I missed out but I wonder if that means soon we can see primers at local Cabelas or Bass Pro?

  14. #54
    Boolit Buddy todd9.3x57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    windber, pa
    Posts
    313
    i doubt we will see $20/1000 primers or $20/lbs of powder, but i see supply situation is getting better and the prices will be around $40-50/1000 primers and $30-40/lb of powder (providing the republicans win back the house, senate, president).


    my own little horde (5000 large/small rifle/pistol primers and imr 4895, rel 7, 2400, unique and hs-6/ 5 or 6lbs of each) is enuff to get me thru this. a 4 or 5 trays of 1000's primers and 8lbs of all powders, then i'll be set for life. i won't buy the prices today or tomorrow, but i ain't hard up yet.
    I was in uniform for four years, and I know that heroism doesn't occur from taking orders, but rather from people who through their own willpower and strength are willing to sacrifice their lives for an idea.

    Thor Heyerdahl

    Μολών λαβέ

  15. #55
    Boolit Master 15meter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,898
    On my way back across Michigan from Oshkosh earlier today I stopped at 3 different gun shops. All three were well stocked in powder. The one pound limit of the extremely limited selection of a year ago are gone and the prices are coming down.

    First shop had several hundred pounds of powder on the shelves, not many primers, a couple of tons of shot and thousands upon thousands of jacketed bullets. They also had a good stock of reloading equipment. Bought an 8 pounder of H-380 for a buddy for $200 and a couple bags of #9's for another buddy, the shot was $53 a bag.

    Second shop had much smaller supply of powder, probably under 100 lbs. total. But did have easily 10-20 bricks of primers, some current stock, some pretty vintage. Problem was $15/100.
    Good supply of bullets/boolits. Even had several hundred pounds of lead From 10 pound ingots to a 60 pound slab of cable sheathing. Lots of reloading equipment.

    Third shop had 100+ pounds of powder, almost no primers, just 209 for shotgun. Lots of reloading equipment and bullets.

    They all had a very good supply of 22 LR. Prices are higher that I'm willing to pay but I still have a multi-year supply so I can wait for the price to come down a little further.

    Every time I walk into a gun shop the shelves are a little fuller, the prices seem to be coming down. Loaded ammo is filling back in.

    I load for 60+ calibers, from the 22 Hornet up to the 470 N.E.

    I think the only calibers that I load for that I could not have found something to get on the range or in the field with purchased components are the 470 N.E., 480 Ruger, 318 Westley-Richards and the 8x56R. Didn't see appropriate bullets for those four. Boy, that's shocking.

    It's getting better, at least here in Michigan.

  16. #56
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pleasant Hope MO
    Posts
    1,781
    I just bought 2K of small pistol primers from Brownell's yesterday and one of my LGS's has had CCI 400 in stock for a few weeks. So, it looks like they are starting to show up, you just have to hunt for them.

  17. #57
    Boolit Master Shawlerbrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    2,249
    It does seem like things are starting to loosen up but I still cannot find LRP’s which is the only thing I am currently looking for.
    As far as Biden not doing anything to limit guns, did you miss the new legislation he signed last month ?

  18. #58
    Boolit Master Stopsign32v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    741
    Got lucky today at Bass Pro!!! They had a few more but I figured 600 will last me a little bit. Going to use these for some hot 9mm loads. First primers I've probably bought since 2019. $8.99/100 should I go back and grab more?


  19. #59
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    MPLS
    Posts
    286
    you can learn more shooting an air rifle in .177 than you ever will shooting a powder based cartage.. if there is an interest I can explain??

  20. #60
    Boolit Grand Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    7,346
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    you can learn more shooting an air rifle in .177 than you ever will shooting a powder based cartage.. if there is an interest I can explain??
    I converted last year. Currently have 5 air guns.

    But most people are not interested in learning to shoot well. Boom and smoke are impressive and important. Targets that clang and jump are "funner" than punching paper
    Don Verna


Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check