RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone loading 190 gr cast for 30/30, in a Win 94?

Boolit Master

Anyone loading 190 gr cast for 30/30, in a Win 94?

Not having much luck trying to chase down a Lee or Ranchdog .309-170 F in 6 cavity. I have a Accurate 190gr 4 cavity, that cast great and shoots great in a 30/40AI and .300 BO, just wanted to see if anyone had tried these heavy bullets before I wasted powder and most of all primers. All feedback appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Bore sells a jacketed 190 pill so it can be done. Might consider loading one or two cartridges to the correct overall length using a starting load for the 170 gr with whatever powder you have on hand. Shoot off a rest and see where they go.

Boolit Master

I had an RCBS 30-180-FN that I used in a Model 94 for a while. It ran around 198 grains and shot accurately. I ran my loads around 1700 FPS and didn't try to hot rod it but it has potential for a heavy bullet for bear or hogs. Gave it up as I was mostly punching paper. I'm shooting a 30-150-FNHP in my M94 now. The 180 was just too heavy.
    You having bear trouble down there in Monticello?/beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    I have some rcbs 30-180 fn, 190+grn bullets cast and ready to go. I have not shot any yet. My 94 has a 10'' twist barrel fitted, and I expect good results. It shoots the rcbs 150g bullets very well.
    I think your barrel has a 12'' twist, so I don't know if that may be too detrimental to accuracy or not.
    Your 300 BO, will have a much faster twist rate.
    Try a few, or you will never know.

Boolit Master
    Beagle yes we have an overabundance of bears in Wayne Co. I have field corn this year, hope they dont destroy it, 3 years ago they ate 5 acres, last year they ruined a neighbors crop, ate one 10 acre field, and several acres on up the holler, probably 30 acres out of 100 planted. F&W gave them permission to shoot them on sight in the field, they shot 8 in a week or so I think.
    Bird I have shot the 190's with excellent results in my 300 BO. My 94 is a Teddy Roosevelt commemorative, I think it has the 1-10 twist, will just go ahead and load a few and see.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Beagle yes we have an overabundance of bears in Wayne Co. I have field corn this year, hope they dont destroy it, 3 years ago they ate 5 acres, last year they ruined a neighbors crop, ate one 10 acre field, and several acres on up the holler, probably 30 acres out of 100 planted. F&W gave them permission to shoot them on sight in the field, they shot 8 in a week or so I think.
    Bird I have shot the 190's with excellent results in my 300 BO. My 94 is a Teddy Roosevelt commemorative, I think it has the 1-10 twist, will just go ahead and load a few and see.
    That’s the kind of damage feral hogs do here, except there’s a lot more of them. I’ve seen 3-4 acres of cabbage ruined in one night.

Boolit Master
    One more yes to 190 grain in a Win 94 30-30 (I have used up to around 200 grain bullets with no problem-- I have heavier ones but they are too long for the cartridge lifter.)
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 94's and 336's do great with the Lee C309-170-RF. I push them to 1650 fps, duplicating .32-40 power level. I'm sure they could go faster but I don't have a need to do so.

Something's been eating my corn lately, guess I better be on the lookout for bears.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Koger, that heavy RCBS will do the job for you. Got good accuracy. Of course, the recoil went up a bit but it hits hard on the other end. Keep them bars down there. Occasionally one here. Wife's scared to death of them. Got a .45/70 in case they get bad./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

The 30-180 is a great bullet, and even better when hollow pointed. Thanks again to beagle on that one!
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 200 flat nose LBT mould for a model 94 works great , even paper patch it for a hunting round using 17 gr of reloader 7 not sure what the velocity is but will pass through on a broadside deer.

If you search the forum Steel Chickens , or ask this same question if you are a member I am sure you will get responses. There are more then a few shooters trying to take down 200 meter rams with the 30-30 and heavy bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCN_0191.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	302607
    from marlin 30/30. 185GC which is my version of the RD bullet. About 1700 fps 50 yds.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

My old 170 gr. NEI flat point never met a hog that it couldn't drop. Never went much beyond that.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Sam Fadala wrote a book on the Winchester '94 in which he used the '94 exclusively for a year and he used everything from light small game loads to the heavies. Did well. If you can find a copy, it's an enjoyable read and has the info you want.

Boolit Buddy
    190 grain bullets made the reputation of the 303 Savage as a better "killer" than the 30 WCF. They are in reality the same basic cartridge when both use the same weight bullet.

I'm going to try these in the 30-30 and I'll let you know how they do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    resizing some 30/30 brass the other night,its loooong neck really stood out,plenty of room to hold a long projectile well to start it on its journey.there are a few fellas with single shot versions which makes projectile choice very interesting and opens up a lot more options.

Myself I like the lee 185 gr with Gas Check over moderate loads of Red Dot. Quiet and deadly.
    Lubed lightly with BLL.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Myself I like the lee 185 gr with Gas Check over moderate loads of Red Dot. Quiet and deadly.
    Lubed lightly with BLL.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast