Lee PrecisionRepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: A "pfffftt" from the past

A "pfffftt" from the past

You never know what you'll find at those crazy yard sales. My first PCP air gun.... Crossman 112. Nifty! This one is from 1950, quite a few warnings out there about the CO2 charge cylinder being WWII vintage surplus air raft inflators. In the original box with all the paperwork!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220723_110753515_HDR.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	302449
    Last edited by beezapilot; 07-23-2022 at 12:24 PM.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Great find! Does it still work?

DG

Have to find a way to charge it and see. I may disassemble and clean & replace O rings before I get going. Looks like it's had very little target time.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

It doesn't use those standard CO2 metal cartridges that look like little bottles?

DG

Nope, this if from the series of airguns that started PCP. I couldn't post the full photo, it has a cylinder designed to hold a charge that is transfered to the pistol. If you PM me you Email or phone # I'll text / Email photos. You may be able to zoom in on the paper in the photo, shows the small tank.

Oh...I understand now. That's the system that has evolved into the present day tank charged rifles. I hope you can find a cylinder.

DG

Boolit Master
    I have one of those complete with the tank. Yes, the tanks were used by aircraft pilots to inflate rubber life rafts in WW2. If you do find a tank today you will have to have the tank re-certified.

Boolit Master
    When I found mine, I took the CO2 cylinder in to the store that refills fire extinguishers and had them fill it. It’s actually liquid CO2, under ambient pressure, and I could feel the liquid roll back and forth when I rocked the cylinder.

With a full charge, your pistol will be a lot more powerful (and noticeably louder) than the modern ones that run with CO2 cartridges. Haven’t done any chronographing, but mine seems to have a velocity more on the order of the pump-up air pistols with the max number of pumps.

You definitely have more interesting yard sales in your neck of the woods than we do here.

CO2 guns operate at about 900 psi and are self-regulating as the pressure remains fairly constant until the liquid CO2 is gone.
    Even the little 12-gram cartridges have liquid CO2 in them.
    PCP guns operate on highly compressed air and unless regulated start out with less velocity and gradually increase in velocity then it drops off as the pressure decreases.
    PCP guns date back to the 1700s and possibly earlier.
    To my knowledge no CO2 gun predates PCP guns.
    Of course, I'm open to correction.