RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swaging with rockchucker-is it possible??

Boolit Master
    "I understand that the Blackmon kit is only for the older Rockchucker press made in USA with the large dia ram."

Not so.
    He ask which press you have and sends the correct ram for your press.
    I use his dies and am pleased with them.

Lafaun Floyd
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    RC works just fine so long as you use pure lead for your cores.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

I have the RC II and I have messed up the shell holder part of the ram swagging 22lr into .224's to where only LEE shell holders will fit it now when I use it for re-loading.
    One of my swagging punches will not fit as well so I have to preform that step on my LEE Turret press.

Is there an easy fix for my RC ram?
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=Fla9-40

Quote Originally Posted by Fla9-40 View Post
    I have the RC II and I have messed up the shell holder part of the ram swagging 22lr into .224's to where only LEE shell holders will fit it now when I use it for re-loading.
    One of my swagging punches will not fit as well so I have to preform that step on my LEE Turret press.

If you call RCBS directly, they will most likely send you a new ram, but they'll need to know the exact diameter of the ram you have now.

There is also a fix for the squashed shell holder slot. It just involves having something the same thickness as the shell holder slot that you can drive into the slot and open it back up again. I've done this, and I've kept the ram RCBS sent me in reserve for when I finally mash it too much for me to repair it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    For .22 cal, yes, bigher, gets questionable??

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    If you call RCBS directly, they will most likely send you a new ram, but they'll need to know the exact diameter of the ram you have now.

There is also a fix for the squashed shell holder slot. It just involves having something the same thickness as the shell holder slot that you can drive into the slot and open it back up again. I've done this, and I've kept the ram RCBS sent me in reserve for when I finally mash it too much for me to repair it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Hey thanks Fred, I will give RCBS a call and see what I can do.

In the interim I will try driving something in the ram to see if I can straighten it out.

Thanks for the information!
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback

Hey thanks Fred, I will give RCBS a call and see what I can do.

In the interim I will try driving something in the ram to see if I can straighten it out.

Thanks for the information!
    Glad I was able to help. Keep in mind that the ram isn't hardened steel, so it can deform when swaging. I mashed mine swaging .429" bullets from .40 S&W cases and cast pure lead bullets for cores. It lasted through about 1,000 bullets before it finally deformed enough that I couldn't get a shell holder to slip in. After calling RCBS on the phone and admitting that I deformed the slot via swaging bullets, the tech told me it didn't matter and only asked the diameter of the ram in my press. Within a couple of days I had the new ram in my hands, at no charge. In the meantime I had taken an old shell holder that was otherwise fairly beat up, and drove it into the slot in the ram. I used a 1" x 2" piece of wood about 2' long to lever the shell holder out again, and repeated the process until other shell holders slipped in as they should.

That process may work for you, or may not, depending on how much deformation the slot has. At any rate, it's worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

+1 on contacting RCBS. I have never had a problem with them replacing an item. They even replaced a lost part once free of charge.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Glad I was able to help. Keep in mind that the ram isn't hardened steel, so it can deform when swaging. I mashed mine swaging .429" bullets from .40 S&W cases and cast pure lead bullets for cores. It lasted through about 1,000 bullets before it finally deformed enough that I couldn't get a shell holder to slip in. After calling RCBS on the phone and admitting that I deformed the slot via swaging bullets, the tech told me it didn't matter and only asked the diameter of the ram in my press. Within a couple of days I had the new ram in my hands, at no charge. In the meantime I had taken an old shell holder that was otherwise fairly beat up, and drove it into the slot in the ram. I used a 1" x 2" piece of wood about 2' long to lever the shell holder out again, and repeated the process until other shell holders slipped in as they should.

That process may work for you, or may not, depending on how much deformation the slot has. At any rate, it's worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Yes sir I have always had great service from RCBS, they have never question me just sent the replacement part!

I'm going to look around all my stuff and see if I can find a donor shell holder and give it a go.

You know on a second thought I have used this press for swagging 9mm to 40 S&W and also from 40 S&W to 44 mag. The 22lr swagging may or may not be the culprit!

Thanks again!

My Feedback

Boolit Master
    GONRA hasa
    1. Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite hand press that is more than sufficient for my needs.
    2. Watch for olde (today, "Ebay") CH "Swag-O-Matic" presses and tooling. GET 'EM !!!
    3. Warm up yer Chequebook,
    4. Screwcutting Metal Lathe (HASA LEAD SCREW)
    5. decent Basement Machine Shoppe.

Rest is up to YOU ! !!!

HAVE PHUN!

RCBS has always been there for me on anything they made, motorized trim pro, dies, moulds, top punches and sizing dies. Good folks to deal with.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

i use a older lee hand press as a ejector for a set of dies i got form a guy on eBay Kane dies work grate

i made a set of 22 LR dies to load 22LR and use them in a old half jacket press

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12