Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHY, Pin Holes in bullet Base

Bullseye pistol shooter back in the 70s. I remember now it works, with good eyes.

Moderator Emeritus

I realize you posted...
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Not going to cast with linotype again. 1 time test. Standard alloys not a big problem.
    But when you posted this, I figure I should chime in with some science for others reading it.

The 12% antimony in the Rotometals linotype is going to need more heat then my normal alloys. I didn't allow for that.
    Should have left pot temperature setting at maximum, till i got frosted bullets. Then adjusted down.
    Actually, Linotype (which has 12% antimony) has a melt temp of 459ºF, which is about 100º lower than the melt temp of COWW and 160º lower than the melt temp of pure Lead. Typically the alloy casting temp should be about 100º above liquidus temp. So the pot should be around 560º when casting Lino. Pressure casting shouldn't be necessary when casting Lino, due to the high amount of Tin in it. Casting hotter than necessary might cause other problems, but shouldn't cause those pin holes, but leaving no sprue puddle surely will.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Lower, good to know. Ty.

Boolit Buddy
    Shrinkage during solidification. As several others have stated, manage your sprue more carefully.

Boolit Master

EyePal shooting patch/aperture

Have 3 different pairs of glasses. Eyes no longer change focus on target, front & rear sights. Young eyes easly move between the 3 distances. Old folks stuck at 1 distance.

How i understand it?
    off subject but these are what I use. different size aperture for pistol versus rifle. I bought both and use them on different shooting glasses so I don't have to screw around getting them in the right spot. Proper sight picture gets difficult if the peep isn't in the right place. They are absolutely amazing, at least for me and I'm mostly blind in one eye and can hardly see out of the other.

https://eyepalusa.com/ "This is particularly useful to shooters who have limited near vision as well as distance vision challenges." (That's a cut n paste from their page and describes me pretty well.)
    Last edited by oley55; 08-09-2022 at 10:28 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was wondering if the boolits were all the same weight.

I tried aperture for pistol years ago, may be something to re-visit. Thank you for reminding me.

I will have to check the weight. I normally check a few before size & lubing. I think i still have some of the linotype lot?

Boolit Master

As with all things nothing is perfect. They are amazing for honing all of the usual shooting skills but it's not like we will be wearing them in a self defense situation. So most of my practice is with them, but I still practice without them.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Bevel base or flat base? Looks like a slight BB thats hard to fill out, unless pressure casting?

This Tarus G3C will not notice the difference in bullets with me shooting it.

Did a quick sample weight check this morning. See photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220810_082818(0).jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12