WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mississippi river

Moderator Emeritus

Reduce Mississippi River flow and it will silt up so bad barge traffic can't move. Plus the river delta in Louisiana would start to erode away without the silt deposition. They are seeing this already from digging barge canals that shifted where the silt went and now some outer barrier islands are eroding away and during a hurricane they help moderate storm surge...

Boolit Master
    These extreme droughts seem to be the result of cooler than normal ocean temperatures at the Equator of the Pacific and we are currently in the third extreme year of such a cycle. It is an extreme La Nina cycle although in the last week, conditions on the Equator have improved slightly but that won't matter until this fall to S. California. Indicators elsewhere in the world seems to lead to another couple years of SW drought at least. For the record as a former fish biologist, I follow ocean conditions year around to project future salmon returns to Washington, Oregon, and S. British Columbia to assist my customers planning future business moves. Knowing the natural history of salmon related to tree rings and ancient pollen from swamps helps keep things in perspective. Don't ask me how this stuff works. I am not an astro physicist, just an old, broke down fish biologist.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    California produce was 'cheaper' because agri-business was HEAVILY subsidized with low cost water provided by the Federal/State government aka the taxpayer. Don't fool yourself that the food comes only from Cali, check the point of origin not the company brand!
    Rite here in West Tennessee! https://pictsweetfarms.com/

Boolit Master

Every geographic area has limiting climactic and /or geographic conditions. Hawaii has volcanoes, Florida has hurricanes, NOLA is built in a bowl, DC is built on a swamp, Tornado Alley, etc.
    All of which are beyond the abilities of mankind to mitigate. Ignoring these conditions for fun and profit is bound to have an ultimate cost.
    Adequate fresh water has been a known issue for California for seven decades. Yet state, county and municipal authorities continue to permit development knowing the well is dry. It’s one thing for the government to provide emergency aid after a catastrophe. Quite another to expect the national population to make lifelong installment payments bankrolling a guaranteed regional loser forever.

We live in Florida. We, (our HO insurance provider, and tax assessor) are well aware of the risks. I understand there are areas of volcanic activity in Hawaii where building is not permitted or, if it is, HO insurance is not available. Having known for decades how scarce water is, what would be unreasonable about taxing property in arid zones to fund a means of mitigating water shortages?
    The devastation of Dust Storms in the 1930s (which incidentally sparked a massive migration to California) resulted in Soil Conservation Acts. Federal money was spent but in the end mandatory agricultural changes (an expense born by local farmers) were pushed out to prevent a reoccurrence. As others have stated plenty of Federal money has been spent on supplying water for California, but the problem is worse because development is allowed to continue.
    The cost of living and / or operating a business in California should include the cost of supplying water consumed. If produce prices rise because of it there are other states that grow produce.

Boycotting Kali produce for years has been no problem for my household. Just read the labels and decide where you want to spend your money.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    I read on another forum that Cali has a plan in the works to tax the water people pump out of their privately owned wells.

Quote Originally Posted by baogongmeo View Post
    I read on another forum that Cali has a plan in the works to tax the water people pump out of their privately owned wells.
    They must have people out there that stay up at night trying to figure out how to pay for all the free stuff the govt. gives away.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They must have people out there that stay up at night trying to figure out how to pay for all the free stuff the govt. gives away.
    While they’re watering their lawns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123