Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Cast in the SKS

Boolit Master

Cast in the SKS

My primary question for those doing it is "What will it feed?"

If I were to do this, my main attraction would be to an aggressive flat point in the 150-ish grain range like the NOE/Ranch Dog. Given that it's a gun designed for com-bloc 123 grain spitzers, how well do bullets like that get out of the 10-rd mag & into the chamber?

If that's a go, what do you fuel it with? In a bolt gun, the obvious choices would run toward the slow pistol powders, but what makes the overgassed gas gun tick?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Best results that I'M aware of are with AA#1680, and Alliant Reloder-7, but that's from other reloaders. Hodgdon.com lists H322 and AA# 2200 as giving highest velocities for the (j-word) 150 gr. bullets. Consult with Hodgdon, but I would THINK that those two propellants can be "loaded down" to whatever velocity you desire, without inviting undue risk.

I'VE always wondered what keeps cast projectiles from shaving off slivers as they pass across the gas port, and eventually clogging it to the point that it won't operate the bolt. Gas checks, maybe?
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 07-22-2022 at 09:43 AM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Lee’s 160 grain with older Win 680 shoots about 2” at 100 in my Yugo.

I'm loading a 190gn powder coated and gas checked boolit with 21.4gns of 3031. The heavy boolit generates enough back pressure to cycle the action and the powder coating does not clog the gas port.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

I use Leverevolution in my Yugo using NOE 316299's and Accurate 316215B's. Feed just fine, mild recoil, cycles the action. I did try some 155's from Accurate, but they were too short to clear the ramp; kept smacking into the breech face. Would a 170 grain Lee be long enough to feed properly? Don't have that mold, that's why I ask.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

I've a group buy Lee mould for a C312-150-WFN that is very similar to the RD bullet. It feeds fine in my Russian SKS and Mini MK X bolt action. I cast it of COWWs +2% tin mostly, size at .314, GC with Hornady's and lube with 2500+. I load them in IMI cases primed with WLRs or CCI 34s over 26.5 gr H4895 or 25.5 gr IMR 4895. Velocity runs 1875 fps out of either rifle as they both have 20" barrels.

I modified the SKS gas tube to lessen the ejection down somewhat "normal" so I could find the ejected cases. Doing so did not affect the velocity.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    My primary question for those doing it is "What will it feed?"

If I were to do this, my main attraction would be to an aggressive flat point in the 150-ish grain range like the NOE/Ranch Dog. Given that it's a gun designed for com-bloc 123 grain spitzers, how well do bullets like that get out of the 10-rd mag & into the chamber?

If that's a go, what do you fuel it with? In a bolt gun, the obvious choices would run toward the slow pistol powders, but what makes the overgassed gas gun tick?
    I used AA#1680 with either the Lee 160 or the NOE 129 with good results in a Yugo SKS.

Boolit Master

Some time ago, Junior1942 did some work with heavies and LeveRevolution in the SKS that was carried on by Mr. Gibson. If I recall, I had suggested making it a 'Sticky'. Lot's of good info.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    Jr does an amazing job on this

http://castbullet.com/shooting/shooting.htm

Look at his Yugo SKS hog rifle series

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I modified the SKS gas tube to lessen the ejection down somewhat "normal" so I could find the ejected cases. Doing so did not affect the velocity.
    Hmmmm. . .I had kinda lost sight of the fact that these things tend to send their disposable steel cases to low-earth orbit. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I used a 151grn hollow point in my 7.62x39mm bolt gun with good results,it was tricky enough to get to feed in that,a sks would be lots harder,BUT nothing to stop you single feeding the first round in and using other feedable loads underneath... lots of guys use the trail boss t oget subsonic loads in this cartridge,fun for plinking and great for small game and finishing off shots on big game,but just too finicky for my liking to use it on bigger game as main load...

Boolit Master
    I use the Lyman 311466 pc'd and sized .311, backed by 26gr of AA 2015. They cycle the action and there's no problem with the gas system. I seat them as far out as will still work through the magazine.

This also works with jacketed 150gr bullets meant for the .30-30. The thin jackets and soft cores will obturate and seal in the .310 groove. the twist rate is well matched to a longer projectile than the 123gr glorified pistol bullet the factory ammo comes with. I've seen much improved accuracy with heavier boolits.

Boolit Master
    we also ran 125grn NBTs and the awesome speer 130grn HPs bot hwere good deer loads at bush ranges,EG under 100 yards. actually looking back I shot a heck of a lot of animals with the wee rifle without any bother....it was only when we mucked up range calculation and son shot stag way too low that i got disalusioned with it...

Boolit Master

I mainly run 3 bullets in my Yugo. NOE 129 gr. spire, Lee 155 gr. SP bullet and the NOE 150 gr. ranch Dog style. I use Accurate 2200 and they all run fine. I really like the 150 RD bullet, It thumps steel great and has become my standard heavy bullet in the Yugo.

I also have a CZ and A Ruger American in 7.62x39 and I shoot all these in them also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	762x39 cast.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	302477

Boolit Master
    Since 1996, my best Chinese and Russian SKS Cast Boolit is the Lyman #311410, 130 grain RN boolit and IMR4198 sized .309". The load is so good, I call it my Ball Substitute round that kept me shooting during the ammo drought! I cast old wheel weights and tin, dropped from the mould into a bucket of water. This #311410 is also my M1 Carbine boolit of choice.

I hope this helps.
    Adam

Boolit Master

A little late but yes, the Lee 170 grain will feed just fine, as well as the older 169 with the smaller meplat. The Lee 155 is fantastic for this application as well.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    Jr does an amazing job on this

http://castbullet.com/shooting/shooting.htm

Look at his Yugo SKS hog rifle series
    JR was a treasure and gone waay too soon!