Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rodents and wiring

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Thanks. I will look up one bite poison. My three dogs weigh 67 to about 100 lbs.

Edit: I just looked it up and the warnings say it can poison dogs. If it works for you that is good, but for now i will stay away from it.
    Yes, it will kill dogs. It will also kill humans if enough is consumed. That is why you put the poison in the bait stations. Nothing can touch it except for the rodents.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Yes, it will kill dogs. It will also kill humans if enough is consumed. That is why you put the poison in the bait stations. Nothing can touch it except for the rodents.
    I was going by the warnings in that they said that eating the dead rodents could kill the dog if they ate enough of the dead rodents. You said that your dog has not been hurt by it. But then I am reading others claiming that it can happen.
    What I am saying is that I do not know for SURE. My dogs can be real knuckle heads. I will look into this more before making a final choice. The warnings are often written by lawyers.

Even if the poison doesn't outright kill a dog, there is some concerns about organ damage
    like screwing up their liver or something.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The 'TIN CAT' is an enclosed trap, the bait cannot be accessed by cats or dogs. I would not put any poison anywhere that can be accessed by anything but mice or rat sized animals. If your lack of knowledge on what can be poisons, how poisons work, toxicity levels and such makes poison verryy scarryy TO YOU, just put dog food, grain, cat food, table scraps in the 'Tin Cat' The 'Tin Cat' itself is very effective in catching mice. Be careful with that dog wormer, it can poison your dog too.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 07-23-2022 at 11:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    The 'TIN CAT' is an enclosed trap, the bait cannot be accessed by cats or dogs. I would not put any poison anywhere that can be accessed by anything but mice or rat sized animals. If your lack of knowledge on what can be poisons, how poisons work, toxicity levels and such makes poison verryy scarryy TO YOU, just put dog food, grain, cat food, table scraps in the 'Tin Cat' The 'Tin Cat' itself is very effective in catching mice. Be careful with that dog wormer, it can poison your dog too.
    the difference between a medicine and a poison is many times a question of the dose relative to heart worm medicine. I am using the vet purchased heartgard ivermectin since I know the dose is correct. If you do not use it your dogs will eventually get very ill with heartworms.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Cornbread mix and baking soda mixed 50-50 will kill rats and mice without harming pets. I mix it and put in cheap covered plastic tubs with a hole drilled in the side.

The 5 gallon bucket and and ramp roller work well also. they go up the ramp and when they get on the roller fall into the bucket with 4"-6" of water in it drowning. For this you want a fairly aromatic bait in the center of the roller to draw them. Again safe around pets.
    I was going say about the 5 gal bucket after I read the OP , Alot of rodents like peanut butter. I know rats dose and mice .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Cornbread (Cornmuffin) mix and baking soda mixed 50-50 will kill rats and mice without harming pets. I mix it and put in cheap covered plastic tubs with a hole drilled in the side.

The 5 gallon bucket and and ramp roller work well also. they go up the ramp and when they get on the roller fall into the bucket with 4"-6" of water in it drowning. For this you want a fairly aromatic bait in the center of the roller to draw them. Again safe around pets.
    Here is demonstration
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBeySuYvdbY

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Wouldn't own a dog that kills cats. My blue tick lets my cats eat out of his food bowl.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Mice do not like mothballs, you can use them to keep the rodents from chewing your wires and not worrying about poisoning your pet.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Mice do not like mothballs, you can use them to keep the rodents from chewing your wires and not worrying about poisoning your pet.
    I prefer to know they're dead. Otherwise they'll just find another place to chew things up and crap/wizz everywhere.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Wouldn't own a dog that kills cats. My blue tick lets my cats eat out of his food bowl.
    His half sister and mama never bothered it. It happened during a rain storm. He and the cat live together for 5 years. He was bred to kill predators and had killed three trespassing cats. He will not chase deer for example as I noticed when three bolted on the other side of the fence. he was startled for a moment and made surprised soft bark followed a few steps and stopped. If it was coyotes the reaction would have been different. When walking the fence line, if a neighbor's dogs runs up and barks, he just sort of stands and there and looks because he knows it belongs there. Dogs in his line are known for killing other dogs when forced to fight and if the dog got inside he would likely kill it. He will back off from any snake. The cat killing is his one bad point.
    I found a non-toxic poison called RAT X that consists of a specific corn gluten. Very expensive.

FOX urine! It works on cars & garages.
    INSIDE-GARAGE- cars are more likely to attract mice.Toyota also has used soy-based wiring. FOX URINE WORKS!

Mice ate my windshield washer lines and fittings. And nested in my air cleaner.
    Caught 22 of them with peanut butter.
    Still waiting on the replacement parts.
    So glad I didn't just put down poison to take them out as it could have been dozen of deceased and decomposing mouses in the walls.
    Maybe I should have started filling a freezer bag for fish bait.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 Fuller View Post
    FOX urine! It works on cars & garages.
    INSIDE-GARAGE- cars are more likely to attract mice.Toyota also has used soy-based wiring. FOX URINE WORKS!
    How do you keep the fox from tearing up the upholstery?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    We had a pair about thirty years ago that were a hoot. A really smart and loving though ornery black cat named Spitzer and a really sneaky and overly protective cross breed that looked like a Jack Russell called Chuck. They were inseparable friends while constantly in competition and playing tricks on each other. We still treasure their memory.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember reading something recently that mice/rats do no have the ability to handle gas in their digestion system, and this will eventually kill them.

The message was mix equal parts cornmeal and baking soda for "poison".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12