Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodents and wiring

Boolit Master

Rodents and wiring

i have rodents entering via the intake for the air filter and going into the manifold. One of my dogs has a problem with cats and finally killed my cat of 9 years. He only tolerated the cat if it was on the porch. He has killed three other intruding cats, raccoons, possums, squirrels, armadillos, but he and the two females avoid snakes. So getting another cat is out of the question.
    I have started searching for information and car wiring being destroyed by rodents and it is common in my area. Apparently some wiring is very tasty rodents according some internet lore. I am located in northwest florida and we have grey squirrels, flying squirrels, various types of rats.
    Why Do Rodents Chew Car Wires?

Rodents may be drawn to car wire insulation made of soy, peanut oil, rice husks, and various plant-based materials. The insulation can produce a faint vanilla aroma when it is warm, which may make car wires appealing and appetizing for rodents to chew. In addition, a rodent may chew on car wires near a nest it builds inside of a car.

So now I have some repellent pouches in both of my cars and I will be looking for repellent that is safe to spray on wires. They also chewed off a section of tubing for my windshield wiper wash bottle.

My little cat killer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patch.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	302404

Unknown rat/rodent killed by late cat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-21 160341 rat  .jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	302405

I guess he doesn't have a problem with rodents.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I guess he doesn't have a problem with rodents.
    He will dig big holes looking for them and often ends up with capturing moles. I am thinking of getting some sort of ratter like a feist, minpin, or cairn terrier. But they did not climb like rodents do.

Tell him if he is going to be a jerk and kill the cat he has to fill in and do it's job too.

Boolit Buddy
    some don't like it but I have been using poison. I get those plastic boxes only rats can go in they eat they die. I have heard the poison makes them thirsty I have used liquid poison in a quart chick water, this was put in a place that was not accessible by any other animal. it works.

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    some don't like it but I have been using poison. I get those plastic boxes only rats can go in they eat they die. I have heard the poison makes them thirsty I have used liquid poison in a quart chick water, this was put in a place that was not accessible by any other animal. it works.
    Perhaps it would get rid of the nasty cat killing dog also.
    Sarcasm only, I know you love your dog, as I love mine.

Can I borrow you dog for a week or two?
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

I tried using poison and while it killed the rodents they would still cause damage and often climb into inaccessible locations and die reeking for a couple of weeks. I gave up on poison and kept 4 cats around. I don't particularly like cats but they definitely did cure the rodent problem and I considered it the best option.

I realize you don't consider cats as an option, just relating my experience using poison.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe you could get some small boas from the everglades. Should take care of the mice and cats! All seriousness aside, a friend of mine has lots of classic cars stored. They use an essential oil packet that is supposed to work ok. Every spring here, I have to take apart the mowers and tillers to remove the mice nests packed into everywhere. Once the implements warm up, the reek of mouse piss. Hate the little buggers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    Maybe you could get some small boas from the everglades. Should take care of the mice and cats! All seriousness aside, a friend of mine has lots of classic cars stored. They use an essential oil packet that is supposed to work ok. Every spring here, I have to take apart the mowers and tillers to remove the mice nests packed into everywhere. Once the implements warm up, the reek of mouse piss. Hate the little buggers.
    The packets that I am using are mint and some another essential oil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    Can I borrow you dog for a week or two?
    LOL at times I want to give them away after they do something. He is one of the various types of white english farm dogs that still exist in some parts of the southeastern usa, but are going extinct as they get cross bred into american bulldogs and pit bulls. They were bred to kill predators. He is mixture of several different lines that includes one that was use for cattle herding. Those usually had some hound in them and are rangier than a typical bulldog. He has also some genes from a white english mastiff type so he is a little longer and taller and has a real big head on him. He will not chase deer and likely would be ok with domestic animals except unfortunately cats.
    It is best to have two dogs for cat killing since a big tom cat can give a good account of itself. A neighbor watched him and his much smaller older half sister kill a good size cat and with two of them it was very quick. She threw as a bulldog type with a different head with her having a smaller a head like a rectangular block with small jaws and bottom jaw protruding. she has a pushier compartment and they really do love one another. But if one urinates, the other will go urinate over it that is funny for sure with their marking.

Boolit Master
    The overhead garage door has small gaps at either end. I fastened a wire to the door track at each of those gaps and placed rat bait chunks on those wires. It is sometimes amazing just how fast those chunks will disappear and need to be replaced, but since doing that I have no more problems with rats or mice getting into our vehicles or destroying anything else in the shop. I also placed several outdoor feeding stations around the garage and the house loaded up with the same rat bait. No more mice in the house. The bait stations prevent dogs and cats from eating any of the poison.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    The overhead garage door has small gaps at either end. I fastened a wire to the door track at each of those gaps and placed rat bait chunks on those wires. It is sometimes amazing just how fast those chunks will disappear and need to be replaced, but since doing that I have no more problems with rats or mice getting into our vehicles or destroying anything else in the shop. I also placed several outdoor feeding stations around the garage and the house loaded up with the same rat bait. No more mice in the house. The bait stations prevent dogs and cats from eating any of the poison.
    What prevents the dogs and cats from eating the poisoned rodents?

Had this happen once. No more poison when pets are around for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Cornbread mix and baking soda mixed 50-50 will kill rats and mice without harming pets. I mix it and put in cheap covered plastic tubs with a hole drilled in the side.

The 5 gallon bucket and and ramp roller work well also. they go up the ramp and when they get on the roller fall into the bucket with 4"-6" of water in it drowning. For this you want a fairly aromatic bait in the center of the roller to draw them. Again safe around pets.

Boolit Master
    Walmart sells a 'Tin Cat' mouse trap -$6 or $7. I bait them with just 'Just One Bite Bars'. They catch multiple mice and can be emptied when you remember. I have some outbuildings that I neglected to check, 25-30 mice, maybe more inside. When I forget and they get too full and gross, I toss them. The mice do keep going into them, even scavenge the dead mice inside. Dog checks them, demands the contents when found still alive, but they are safe for dogs and cats. I have them in many 'mousey' spots. I have put 'standard' baited mouse and rat traps in old ammo cans or other boxes with hole for mouse/rat entry so dogs/cats can't get 'caught'. The 'Just One Bite' poison bars require very large amounts to be eaten by a dog to create life threatening symptoms, body size of dog must be considered also. My Chessie weighs 75 lbs so a sluggish poisoned mouse, every other day is not a threat and she does not eat them, kills them and leaves them lay. Other poisons can be much deadlier.

Boolit Master

A lot of the new insulation is soy based….in the name of the environment…….and have been eating the farmers wiring harnesses out of the tractors at a cost of thousands.

What a great idea…..

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Walmart sells a 'Tin Cat' mouse trap -$6 or $7. I bait them with just 'Just One Bite Bars'. They catch multiple mice and can be emptied when you remember. I have some outbuildings that I neglected to check, 25-30 mice, maybe more inside. When I forget and they get too full and gross, I toss them. The mice do keep going into them, even scavenge the dead mice inside. Dog checks them, demands the contents when found still alive, but they are safe for dogs and cats. I have them in many 'mousey' spots. I have put 'standard' baited mouse and rat traps in old ammo cans or other boxes with hole for mouse/rat entry so dogs/cats can't get 'caught'. The 'Just One Bite' poison bars require very large amounts to be eaten by a dog to create life threatening symptoms, body size of dog must be considered also. My Chessie weighs 75 lbs so a sluggish poisoned mouse, every other day is not a threat and she does not eat them, kills them and leaves them lay. Other poisons can be much deadlier.
    Thanks. I will look up one bite poison. My three dogs weigh 67 to about 100 lbs.

Edit: I just looked it up and the warnings say it can poison dogs. If it works for you that is good, but for now i will stay away from it.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 07-22-2022 at 02:13 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Cornbread mix and baking soda mixed 50-50 will kill rats and mice without harming pets. I mix it and put in cheap covered plastic tubs with a hole drilled in the side.

The 5 gallon bucket and and ramp roller work well also. they go up the ramp and when they get on the roller fall into the bucket with 4"-6" of water in it drowning. For this you want a fairly aromatic bait in the center of the roller to draw them. Again safe around pets.
    Have to try that mix. I currently use the poison but keep them away from the dogs. We can tell if the poison I the crawl under the house is gone as we will get visitors. The bucket trap works great. I use a soda can and smear peanut butter on the can.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Have to try that mix. I currently use the poison but keep them away from the dogs. We can tell if the poison I the crawl under the house is gone as we will get visitors. The bucket trap works great. I use a soda can and smear peanut butter on the can.
    That's about the safest method that I'm aware of.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    What prevents the dogs and cats from eating the poisoned rodents?

Had this happen once. No more poison when pets are around for me.
    NEVER had that happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast