Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe pressures for an itallian sharps in 45-70

Boolit Bub

Safe pressures for an itallian sharps in 45-70

I just picked up a taylors armi sport (chiappa)sharps shorter rifle. I have been trying to find the safe load pressures for this rifle. I have read 18000 psi up to 29000 psi depending on the source. Does anyone here know what the safe shooting limits are for stress rifles?

Boolit Master
    The action is strong but some of the replicas duplicated the large firing pin of the original Sharps. Heavier loads will push the primer back into the FP hole and cause problems. I have seen one that was locked up because the primer shoved far enough that the block would not drop.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    Just bought a Lyman/Pedersoli Sharps. It had been sitting around the LGS29 for a while. Per the manual I should use trapdoor loads. The Italians proof tested to 2000bars which if I believe Lyman is about 29000 cup/psi. Basicly we have 21st century trap door rifles. We can hunt Bison but not Cape Buffalo.

Boolit Master
    I’ve owned several Pedersoli Sharps replicas. They’re rated at 27,000psi tops.

Boolit Master
    NSB what is your source for 27000psi? My manual dated 2013 lists 45/70 at 29007psi. Manual also says reload to trapdoor standard. Will probably load to a lower trapdoor level. I am old and don't like recoil anymore.

Boolit Master

I shoot trapdoor level loads in mine. I enjoy shooting it more with those loads.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like CIP max pressure for 45-70 is 2200 bar or 31908.3 PSI (according to google who I let do the math for me).

https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/uploads/td...en-page112.pdf
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    Looks like CIP max pressure for 45-70 is 2200 bar or 31908.3 PSI (according to google who I let do the math for me).

https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/uploads/td...en-page112.pdf
    Interesting, Norma publishes data for 58,000 psi loads for the Ruger No 1 rifle. 500 grain slug at 1800 fps, don't think I would want to be standing in front or behind one of those!

Boolit Buddy
    A Ruger No 1 is in a completely different league than the Sharps as far as strength. It is generally agreed there are three levels of strength in 45-70 rifles. Level 1 is Trapdoor, Sharps and other early single shots. Level 2 is 1886 Winchester/Browning and Marlin 1895s. Level 3 is normally considered to be Ruger No 1s and modern single shots. Level 1 is the weakest and Level 3 is the strongest. There are other rifles in each of the groups, but you get the idea.
    Bill

In all my larger case capacity BP era rifles I use IMR4198 or H4198 smokeless powders. The pressures are way below even what BP pressures are, and my load for the .45-70 with a 480 gr. bullet at 1350 fps is under 12,000 psi chamber pressure according to my ballistic program. It's very comfortable to shoot, and accurate also.

Boolit Master
    What would you like to do with it? For paper targets or medium game you may never have the need to exceed Trap Door loads.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Another thing about the chiappa 74's is that they don't have the dovetailed cover over the back of the firing pin like the originals, pedersoli and the Montana built ones do. This prevents a face full of gas if a primer burns through. You really don't want to magnumize a .45-70 it will do everything you want with trapdoor pressure loads.

Boolit Master
    IF YOU SHOOT BLACK YOU CAN'T OVER PRESSURE, IF YOU SHOOT A BLACK SUBSUITE YOU WOULD HAVE TO WORK VERY HARD TO OVER PRESSURE, IF YOU SHOOT SOFT LEAD YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO OVER 1200 fps AND YOU WILL HAVE ACCURT LOADS> YOU SHOOT HARD CAST OR JACKED BULETS, THAT RIFLE WAS INATALLY NOT DESIGNED FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING>>

Boolit Bub
    My goal is to be around 1300-1400 fps with cast boolits, not Hardcastle in the 405 to 535 grain sizes. General shooting with the 405 and get into some long range stuff with the 535 at some time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    NSB what is your source for 27000psi? My manual dated 2013 lists 45/70 at 29007psi. Manual also says reload to trapdoor standard. Will probably load to a lower trapdoor level. I am old and don't like recoil anymore.
    I emailed Pedersoli and got a response that way. Odd that they’d put an “odd” number in the manual of 29,007psi. How did they cut it that close? 007….really? Like seven psi could really make a difference.

In the past few decades I've had Many offshore Sharps and rollers, all Pedersoli. They are strong and they are accurate. I just picked up a Cimarron '74 Sharps (Chiappa, Armi Sports) and both Cimarron and Chiappa specify that smokeless loads need to be in the trap door realm. I don't do smokeless with any of these guns and usually run the .45-70s with at least 80 grains of Swiss 1-1/2f underneath a PPB. Never a problem or issue. Stick with the black. Save the white devil dust for the Rugers and Henrys.

The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJD View Post
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.
    Come now. Surely you trust another Government: Browning's 1911, right?

Boolit Grand Master

I tend to trust a 30 Gov for alot also.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    Is your chiappa proofed for smokeless?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast