WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Trapdoor 45/70 help

Trapdoor 45/70 help

Ok. I have called everyone and everywhere about reboring my 45/70 trapdoor barrel to either 28ga or 20ga. The gun was acquired already sporterized so keeping it original I don’t care about. Know one seems to have the tooling. I know on a whim you can shoot 410 in a 45/70 but they say the brass expands badly. So here’s my theory, can I put a thin piece of brass tube around the 410 base to take up some circumference so that it fits the chamber better? Will it be safe if I load 1/3” less 410 spec loads? Yes I want to make it some kind of shotgun. I want to use what I have. I know all about the poor patterning. Any ideas? I contacted jes reboring. They can bore to about whatever but the have no means to Shotgun chamber reamers. What says the hive. Thank you all?

Boolit Master
    The US Army made up foragers, i.e. 20 gauge shotguns, on the trapdoor action. No reason you can't. Have someone bore the barrel and rent a reamer.

I've lusted for an original forager since I saw one as a kid I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on something I would shoot maybe once every few years.

Keep us posted and post pictures.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    The US Army made up foragers, i.e. 20 gauge shotguns, on the trapdoor action. No reason you can't. Have someone bore the barrel and rent a reamer.

I've lusted for an original forager since I saw one as a kid I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on something I would shoot maybe once every few years.

Keep us posted and post pictures.

Will do. Yes jes reboring said they can bore to just about anything. But they don’t have the tools to Ream. I wonder if I can find one to rent and then send it to them? Hmmmmm
    Last edited by Komodoj1; 07-21-2022 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Still learning how to spell.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not put 410 loads in 45 70 brass? You would want to see what pressure 410's are loaded to, then check 45 70's pressures. I doubt there is much difference. Plastic 410 wads and a card over shot wad should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Why not put 410 loads in 45 70 brass? You would want to see what pressure 410's are loaded to, then check 45 70's pressures. I doubt there is much difference. Plastic 410 wads and a card over shot wad should do it.
    Wanted to use 209 primers. Large rifle primers are platnium prices!

The guy you need to talk to is Robert Hoyt in Fairfield PA. He is set up to do all manner of interesting things to Trapdoor rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    The guy you need to talk to is Robert Hoyt in Fairfield PA. He is set up to do all manner of interesting things to Trapdoor rifles.
    I just found his info. Thank you. I’ll give him a try. I’ve contacted Redmans already and they were like ummm no!!!

Boolit Master

I have the bore reamer with choke for 28 and 20 gauge, also have the chamber reamers. I do not loan or rent out my tools.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I have the bore reamer with choke for 28 and 20 gauge, also have the chamber reamers. I do not loan or rent out my tools.
    Would you bore and ream for me? Name your price!

Boolit Master

$200 plus return shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    $200 plus return shipping.
    Message sent.

Think I finally found some one to bore and chamber ream. Fingers crossed. Thank you to all that replied with great ideas or suggestions! Thank you JT!