Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners

Thread: fun with the rifling machine

Boolit Master

fun with the rifling machine

About 40 years ago Dixie had a bunch of smooth bore barrel about 43 caliber. They were only $10 each so I bought a few. After seeing the Whitworth rifle I thought it would be a good idea to try making one. So trying to figure out the hex bore was fun, seems the flats are 1/2 the bore diameter. Easy enough, just make a cutter box at bore diameter and a cutter at half the bore diameter wide. Now to figure out how to make a bullet mold.

hex bore.pdf

Boolit Master
    What Twist did you cut the rifling to ?
    What weight of boolits do you intend to shoot out of this barrel ?

A creative person who has tools can keep themselves entertained endlessly! Good work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    What Twist did you cut the rifling to ?
    What weight of boolits do you intend to shoot out of this barrel ?
    I was thinking that it would be close to a 45-70 so I made the twist 1 in 22". The original whitworth was 1 in 20. I made one 48" long and another about a foot long for a pistol, most likely both will be under hammers if I ever get time. The long barrel didn't cut as smooth and will require lapping or lots of shooting. Might take a shot piece and make a sizing die and just push 458 boolits through, save the trouble of making a mold.

Boolit Master
    The whole project sounds like fun. Challenges keep the mind active and healthy. My first thought on how to make bullets wasn't a mould but an old time a two piece hammer swage. Again just a quick thought: a separate nose section made on the lathe and the body portion cavity cut with a broach or possibly on the shaper. I'd have to think a bit more on the possibilities of a mould.

I would love to see your solution.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I've seen people get good accuracy using a round boolit in a hex bore, but I think this is more about the challenge.

Boolit Grand Master
    elk hunter; Bullets as you describe have been made in South Africa. I had one long ago and have no idea where it is now. Leading tip was bronze turned & fitted to a poured base. Was told (for what's that's worth) it was meant for dangerous game where penetration was a desired factor. It was a big caliber with a somewhat flared skirt base. Wish I had more info for you.