Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Cast 40's???

Boolit Master

Hard Cast 40's???

A friend of mine on line Long Windy Road (LWRoad is channel name) on uTube posted a video Sunday I think shooting some Buffalo Bore and Underwood Hard Cast 40 S&W 200g loads!!
    He didnt quite get advertised ballistics. I dont shoot factory, but I have 200g Molds and cast some for a test! Using Power Pistol and starting just over a starting load and topping 1tenth over max, I bested 1000 fps a number of times. I saw ZERO pressure signs and will load more of these for accuracy testing later.

https://youtu.be/qYP16iAeWS8
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Is that a standard model 22 or an extended slide/barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

Great, you almost caught up to 45 ACP.

Kidding aside, that looks like a good performing load. I'd have no problems hunting with that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Is that a standard model 22 or an extended slide/barrel?
    It is a Glock 24.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Great, you almost caught up to 45 ACP.

Kidding aside, that looks like a good performing load. I'd have no problems hunting with that.
    Haha thats funny. 45 acp fan here. But the 45 with a 185 cannot match these velocities, let alone a 200g! It would take +P and or longer barrel.

I have done those tests too!!

CW

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Haha thats funny. 45 acp fan here. But the 45 with a 185 cannot match these velocities, let alone a 200g! It would take +P and or longer barrel.

I have done those tests too!!

CW
    To be honest, I skipped most of the video to where you were showing the chronograph. I was only seeing around 1000 fps. Did you get a load faster than that?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    CW
    I have no doubt about the numbers I use a jacketed max load of Unique with a 401-175 TC @182 gr and get 980 and a 2.5" XD40 . Even with17 gr of bullet , the 1/10 in of case , 2" of barrel and 5,000 psi shouldn't have any problem making up 25 fps MV .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    The 40 short is not the powder puff round a lot make it out to be. Thats pretty good numbers with a 200 gr pill.
    Hodgdon's annual manual has the 45 auto with a 200 gr. lswc over CFE pistol at 1142 fps at 19600 PSI from a 5 inch tube. I have not tested that data, just saying.

Moderator Emeritus

I am a lot happier with the ballistics from the Lee 175 gr mold than shooting 200 gr. I can push them faster with the 10 mm but still feel that bore size probably tops out with 180 gr.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I am a lot happier with the ballistics from the Lee 175 gr mold than shooting 200 gr. I can push them faster with the 10 mm but still feel that bore size probably tops out with 180 gr.
    I don't think you can go wrong either way, but 200gr at 1000 fps seems like a good all around load to me, and I often find 200gr shoots the best in 10mm. I would think 200gr would shoot really good in 40 too.

I like the forty with bullets between 150 and 180 grains. Back when I shot a lot more, I tried the 200 grain bullets for several thousand rounds, but came away believing the 200’s are better kept in the 10mm.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I like the forty with bullets between 150 and 180 grains. Back when I shot a lot more, I tried the 200 grain bullets for several thousand rounds, but came away believing the 200’s are better kept in the 10mm.
    What didn't you like?

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon's annual manual has the 45 auto with a 200 gr. lswc over CFE pistol at 1142 fps at 19600 PSI from a 5 inch tube. I have not tested that data, just saying.
    THAT load is...how shall I say it?....OPTIMISTIC. For one thing it was developed in a universal receiver with a 5" stationary barrel (Yes, I asked them). In an actual 5" barreled 1911A1, I'D expect to lose 6 - 10% of the velocity.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I was able to get more kinetic energy and knock down(watching bowling pins fall off a table) out of the 150 to 180grain size. And, if running a compensator, more gas is available to push the muzzle down with the higher powder charge.

Referencing the 45ACP:

My 45ACP bowling pin gun was a Springfield Factory Comp 1911 with a 5and5/8inch barrel that had a compensator.

185LSWC, 6.5Bullseye, CCI LP gave an average velocity of 1082fps.

Likely, it was at least +P .

Boolit Grand Master

200 Grainers is all we shoot in our 40's. I do think a 200 grain cast chugging along at 900 - 950 fps is going to disrupt the day of any critter that needs perferated. Sort of like a 1873 38 WCF Colt Revolver. We shoot the same load in our Keltec 2000 carbines (Glock) which up the fps to 1200+ like a 1873 38 WCF carbine..... I do not read a bad reports about the 38 WCF being a poor choice for the average critter.
    And yes we also shoot the 38 WCF.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Excellent point about the original 10mm (38/40)

Yes I feel a 155/165 is far better defensive bullet weight in the 40. The 180's shoot very fine!

CW

Boolit Master
    dont have a 200 grain mold but been shooting cast 180 grain at 1000fps+ with be-86 for many years out of a g22. with 165 grain I get very close to 1200fps with my be-86 loads ive tried many other powers and like the be-86 quite a bit in the 40. its not a snappy as long shot and velocity is very close

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    dont have a 200 grain mold but been shooting cast 180 grain at 1000fps+ with be-86 for many years out of a g22. with 165 grain I get very close to 1200fps with my be-86 loads ive tried many other powers and like the be-86 quite a bit in the 40. its not a snappy as long shot and velocity is very close
    I have not used this powder. Good to hear it works so well I will try some if I see any.

CW

Banner Sponsor

I was recently pug hunting with my brother in law, who was shooting a 40. We got 7 in a trap and he tried to shoot a couple with the 40.
    While cleaning them we found a couple of his bullets just barely under the skin, so penetration with his carry loads was about 3/4". A 200gn cast at 1000 would have been much better.

And just to stir the pot a little bit.
    I load the Hunters Supply 45-275 with Bluedot, in 45acp commercial brass 8.7gns will go 1035fps from my 7" long slide. The cases just fall at my feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast