Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 310 Cadet

Boolit Bub
    Hi Bwana John, I'm still experimenting. What exactly do I have to do to the brass (needs to be chopped and trimmed) I can find the dimensions for the cadet brass but not the (PPU 7.62mm X 38mmR revolver brass). Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
    Hi Bwana John, I'm still experimenting. What exactly do I have to do to the brass (needs to be chopped and trimmed) I can find the dimensions for the cadet brass but not the (PPU 7.62mm X 38mmR revolver brass). Jim
    Should require very little. Trim to length (1.120 seems a popular length, although I think I'm trimming mine to 1.170. Your rifle will tell you what length it will tolerate). I start by cutting close with a mini-chop saw, then finish trim to length using a LE Wilson trimmer with a 218bee collet, then chamfer/debur. After that, I'm sizing the case mouths to .312 using a modified 310 tool with a .312 dia expander in a 30 carbine die. However you figure out to expand, make sure you're expanding to a dia that fits the particular heeled bullet you're using.

And that's it.... prime, charge, load, shoot.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Bub
    Hi Trails4u, Many thanks. Here I go again!! Jim

Trails4U covered it well. I have real 310 Cadet dies, and the RCBS heeled mold so that makes things a little easier.
    If you leave the brass a little too long it can jam the bullet into the rifleing, sticking the bullet, and dumping powder in the action if you try to unload a unfired cartridge.
    I use a 303 British Lee Factory collet crimp die by putting the loaded round into the TOP, controlling the crimp location with a shell holder and stacked washers.
    Many people just seat the bullet by hand without resizing or crimping, I like my ammo to be able to hold up to harder handling, and I have multiple Cadet’s and would rather not keep brass segregated.
    PPU brass is now so easily to get that I don’t care about the shorter lifespan from overworking it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123