RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 310 Cadet

Boolit Bub

310 Cadet

At last some rounds down range.
    Using Bertram brass, Arsenal Cadet mold 127 grn heeled bullet OD .326", Alox lubed, BHN 14. 4.5 grns of Unique. 1" 5 shot group at 25yds. Original sights and old eyes.

Any advice on what to try next?

Jim

Stick with a winner!

DG

Boolit Bub
    I'm not used to a first time winner!! Some of my 38/55's took months. Current velocity 1220fps.

That has generally been my experience also, at least several trips to the range before I get satisfactory results. But you know, they have a saying, something about "Even a blind pig roots up an acorn once in awhile."

DG

Jim; If you need additional brass in the future, it's pretty easily made from 7.62 Nagant revolver brass which is frequently in stock at about $0.50ea. Trim to length, size and enjoy!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
    At last some rounds down range.
    Using Bertram brass, Arsenal Cadet mold 127 grn heeled bullet OD .326", Alox lubed, BHN 14. 4.5 grns of Unique. 1" 5 shot group at 25yds. Original sights and old eyes.

Any advice on what to try next?

Jim
    PPU 7.62mm X 38mmR revolver brass, needs to be chopped and trimmed, but very easy to work with, and way cheaper than Bertram. Grafs has it available, and lots of once fired available from people that don't reload.
    I had to ream .310 Bertram brass to make it work well with RCBS mold bullets.
    Powder coated projectiles worked well and takes care of the icky-sticky externally lubed thing

Looks like Trails4U beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
    PPU 7.62mm X 38mmR revolver brass, needs to be chopped and trimmed, but very easy to work with, and way cheaper than Bertram. Grafs has it available, and lots of once fired available from people that don't reload.
    I had to ream .310 Bertram brass to make it work well with RCBS mold bullets.
    Powder coated projectiles worked well and takes care of the icky-sticky externally lubed thing

Looks like Trails4U beat me to it!
    Lol! I'm actually sizing mine with a hodge-podge Lyman 310 tool...using a 30 carbine die with a .312 dia 30-40 krag expander in it. Testing is yet to be done, but I'm pretty certain I'll be able to thumb-seat heeled bullets after first firing and not have to buy expensive 310 cadet dies, nor brass.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good first time out. The Cadet has a very fast lock time so is capable of excellent accuracy with a good barrel and bullets. I would try 4227 if you have any, just do not look for it, Hogdon did not make any this last go round.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I think our resident ALPINE WARRIOR (Der Gebirgsjager) may have it right when he recommends sticking with a winner.
    I don't know what the twist rate is in your barrel (1/20"?), but it might be worthwhile to see what bullet weight is optimal for it, if the 122 gr. cast isn't ALREADY the best fit.
    I don't know what the case capacity is for the .310 Cadet is, either, but the use of a slightly slower, slightly bulkier propellant might elevate case fill enough to do nice things to accuracy. Alliant Herco (if you can find any) would be my first choice. It is about 3% more bulky, and tends to require charge weights about 5 - 8% greater than those of Unique, to achieve similar performance. BUT, it also burns a bit more slowly, so slightly higher velocities are a common result. Based on "bar napkin" calculations, a charge of Herco that is roughly equal to your 4.5/Unique/122 gr. load will take up about 10% more space in the .310 Cadet case, which could yield worthwhile results in terms of accuracy, not to mention velocity.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    The original charge was 6gn of Nobels Neonite......load density is limited by the firing pin diameter,if the firing pin is bushed ,then 30 carbine loads can be used.

Boolit Master
    I guess I don't understand enough about the rifles involved to understand the difference in a bushed vs. non-bushed firing pin...
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    Hi Trails4u, many thanks for the tip. Noted in the 310 log book.

I enjoy my Cadet a lot but its a rechambered .32-20/.310. I used .32-20 brass and .30 carbine dies, 150 gr .321 boolit with 3.0 gr of Bullseye.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 639041B3-DC7F-4E4C-A092-F724F64236C0.jpg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 07-19-2022 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Looks good to me! I remember as a 12 year old I wanted to buy a cadet from Klines in Chicago for the princely sum of $12.95. My mother wouldn’t allow me to waste my money on junk! Those were the days! Tim

Boolit Bub
    Hi Rapier, thanks for the tip on 4227. None on the shelf but I will ask around. Jim

Boolit Bub
    Hi Kosh, Thanks for the info. I will check the twist rate.

Boolit Bub
    Hi John.k, as with Kosh75287 I would like to know the difference in the firing pins of the martini action. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Lol! I'm actually sizing mine with a hodge-podge Lyman 310 tool...using a 30 carbine die with a .312 dia 30-40 krag expander in it. Testing is yet to be done, but I'm pretty certain I'll be able to thumb-seat heeled bullets after first firing and not have to buy expensive 310 cadet dies, nor brass.
    I think it is worth it to resize and crimp, I have multiple cadets and don't like the need to keep brass segregated.
    The crimp keep the bullet from staying in the chamber and dumping powder into the action while extracting and ejecting loaded rounds

I use a 303 Brit Lee collet crimper, upside down, I put the loaded round into a shell holder, then stack washers so the crimp is in the correct place, then put the round iupside down into the TOP of the die, the ram activates the crimp.

I might need to replace brass sooner, but 7.62 revolver brass is easily available and cheap.

I thought Unique worked best, with Trail Boss a close second for powder.

Using powder coat I found only use 1 coat, no matter how splotchy the coverage

I have a Martini cadet sporter in 380 Long. Very fun shooter, though I understand the round is bit different than 310. But all the same, heeled.
    I use boolits from Old West Bullet Molds, plus their crimp setup, and my best powders have been Titegroup and Trailboss. Very close tie there.
    Fun guns for sure.

Boolit Bub
    Hi Kosh75287, You are correct. Just checked 1/20 twist rate. Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast