Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a Hudson Bay Smooth Bore Musket with Modern Materials

I like the old trade gun just the way it is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Well you are a little late to that. Thompson Center was bought about 2 decades ago. The Firestorm was made up until about 10 years ago. Thompson Center doesn't even make guns anymore. I'm pretty sure they shut the doors down 2 years ago.

TC used to make the coolest stuff. That all ended about 1998 when they had a big fire and lost most of their machines and plans. They were basically a cookie cutter inline factory after that, although they did still make a few cap and flint guns. Luckily TC guns are not that hard to find used, and they aren't worth a fortune either. Some are more difficult, but I don't think you will have too hard of a time finding a firestorm.
    I do have 54 caliber TC cap lock that I purchased used more than 30 years ago.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 07-23-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I can not speak with experience or knowledge relative to muzzle loaders vs springs. But anyway you are saying that properly made flat springs are just as durable as are properly made coil springs. i know on old guns, flat springs, especially small ones are often broken as in top break revolvers and maybe modern made ones are better.
    I’m not positive but would guess flat springs were used more as they were invented before coil springs (?) and are easier for a smith to make (?) That may or may not be a factor for the proposed build.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12