WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Parts pistol by LAGS

Boolit Grand Master

Parts pistol by LAGS

While attending the Mason/Dixon Muzzle Loader's Builder's Fair, 15 or 20 years ago, I came across a barrel cut-off for sale. I thought it looked like a dandy build for a pistol. Bought it for $5 and carried it around until I met Mr. Getz (the elder) who is a renowned barrel maker. His son, I hear, has subsequently taken over the business. After an enjoyable conversation with Mr. Getz, he agreed to breach the barrel and instal a drum. I think he charged me $20 for everything. Whoo Hoo. Then, as it happens so often, life got in the way and this project was tossed in a box and forgotten. About 5 years ago I found my old barrel and decided to move on it. Bought a Davis lock and trigger, and then put it back in my box, and there it sat. It cluttered up my bench for a few years and then I started reading a thread here on Castboolits about LAGS, and his homeric efforts to repair a "Bubba'd Up Barrel". I followed the thread and upon contacting LAGS, he agreed to take my box of parts and apply some LAGS magic to make a ML pistol. I sent along a chunk of SAPELE ( a really hard African wood ) I had left over from a fireplace mantle I made for a friend. Below I've attempted to add pictures of the build. LAGS designed the details, cut + shaped the stock, welded improvements to the trigger, fabricated parts, inlaid the breach and trigger, drilled + tapped the drum for the nipple, browned the metal and made it all come together!
    Video of the pistol working came be seen on the tail end of armoredman's thread about Bubba Barrel repair.
    All I can say is "Thank you, LAGS". Turned out great. Geometry is perfect. Hammer strikes plumb & square. Loads easy and shoots true.
    I teach muzzle loading / gun safety / history at a boy's & girls summer camp and this pistol will become a permanent, living teaching aid when I'm not using it at home.
    Thanks, LAGS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	302306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	302307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0 10.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	302308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	302309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0 11.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	302310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_1 6.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	302311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_0 8.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	302312
    Last edited by 725; 07-18-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thank you 725.
    It was a pleasure building this pistol.
    And now that you said that you are going to use it to teach others about Black Powder guns , that really thrills me.
    The parts for this pistol basically were just a Level 4 pistol kit from misc. parts.
    The build was not that hard.
    The most difficult part was inletting the stock for the lock and trigger.
    This is a fine piece of wood.
    But it is super heavy , and Very Very hard.
    When carving,
    I would have to resharpen the chisel about every three cuts.
    I hope this gets lots of use , and inspires others to get into the Black Powder sports.
    I also hope that this post will show others , that if you have Spare parts , they can be built into a functioning gun.
    One other thing.
    In the picture of the pistol laying on the table with the starter rod.
    The Powder flask is one that I built out of a tapered brass tube that was from an old damaged brass table lamp that I found in someone's trash can.
    I always say,
    "Why Buy , When you can Build "
    And that can of primers I used to test fire the pistol that are on the table too.
    Those I bought back in California when I lived there.
    Those primers are from the 1980's and still worked great.
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-18-2022 at 10:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I plan on making short starter for this pistol that I'll use for my BP rifle. It will double as the ram rod for the pistol as the pistol barrel is so short. I'll just toss in in the possibles bag when I'm hunting.

Very nice work, sir! My son enjoyed trying it out, and it looked very nice in person.

Very good work on both projects! Now I know where that test pic came from. I've been wanting a lightweight side lock .54 rifle( but haven't seen one) so I know whose brain to pick about making one now!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thank you.
    I should be able to help you if you decide to build a lighter weight or shorter length rifle.
    My recommendations are.
    If you are going to modify one , I would suggest starting with a T C Renagade.
    They are shorter and lighter to start with.
    Plus if you are going to use a shorter barrel , the Renagade has a Flat Butt that you can easily install a recoil pad.
    That may be a benefit with a lighter stock too.
    Keep me posted on what you decide to do.
    Funny thing ,
    I am looking into building a ML for my granddaughter.
    She just turned three.
    She loves holding my rifles and says they are pretty.
    She also says "That's Heavy "
    So I told my wife that I would build her a Scaled Down one so she can learn to shoot them.
    She loves watching me shoot , or just testing my BP
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-19-2022 at 11:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice!

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey LAGS. That would be a hoot. Build a light weight .36 cal for a little girl. What a super way to get started. Three is a might young, but it is surprising how fast they grow up. I turned around and mine were grown. Where did the time go?

Boolit Master
    Because of her age and size , that gives me plenty of time to build something.
    And the rifle will be built mostly out of old parts that I have laying around.
    Plus the bonus is.
    She can watch me build it.
    Then it might be something she will want to keep for when she has her own kids years down the line.
    Building a BP rifle for her has an advantage.
    BP guns are not as restricted by the government.
    So , you can build them with a barrel shorter than 16" and the overall length less than BATF restrictions.
    A .32 Crockett rifle that I built for my wife would be something nice to start with also, if that kit is cut down and lightened up a whole bunch
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-20-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Nice little pistol!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, waksupi. LAGS did a fine job.