Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starling and sparrow pest control

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It seems it would be easier to just get out of the house and live life than it is to worry about what birds nest within shooting range of your house.
    I spent many a hour shooting sparrows in my teen years with a BB gun, it got me out of the house and some of the best years I lived in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    . To our friend in Venice, they make repeating traps for pigeons as well.
    ...thank about the tip but, pidgeons or seagulls, anything against the constitutional rights of these damned birds would be enough to end up in front of a judge, here.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Is it now against the law to shoot pigeons ?

You cannot legally shoot sparrows as they are native and protected. Starlings though are not protected and can be taken within proper hunting guidelines for your state.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Is it now against the law to shoot pigeons ?
    here for sure, as eliminating them in any other way.
    (only the seagulls have the right to kill them, and legally the seagulls are allowed to stole sandwiches & ice creams from tourists hands. some days ago a tourist was maimed by a more active seagull, here, in S.Marco square, Venice It.).
    please, no comments about our PETA, our admins, etc.
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 07-22-2022 at 02:58 PM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    About 25 years ago, we had a neighbor who kept homing pigeons and apparently wasn't aware that dove season was upcoming. He would exercise the pigeons every few days and made the mistake of doing that on opening day. IIRC, only 1 or 2 birds made it back to the coop...I think he got out of the pigeon business and moved away after that.

Boolit Master
    No starlings here, but I wish we had some bluebird’s to help with the insect population. They are around. I’ve seen them nesting around 3km from here. Any advice on how to get them to nest here?
    you can have all mine. ive yet to get to eat very many cherries off my cherry trees. they know exactly when they are ripe enough to eat and will clean out all the trees completely in one morning.
    on attracting bluebirds
    https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birdi...irds-tips-faq/

Boolit Master
    ive given up on trying to control the birds. starlings are one of only a few birds that will actively go after and destroy colonies of wasps and yellow jackets, ive given up on the cherries and just let the trees grow and pretty much the same with my peach trees but if they start going after my main crop which is chestnuts then I will go to war with the culprits.
    I feel very fortunate to have some of the birds I have around here. there are lots and lots of birds including a giant woodpecker that is no less than 18" tall. the most beautiful bird ive ever seen. the exception are turkey's that I will harvest in season

Boolit Bub

No starlings here, but I wish we had some bluebird’s to help with the insect population. They are around. I’ve seen them nesting around 3km from here. Any advice on how to get them to nest here?
    Build Bluebird nesting boxes in your area. Fairly simple builds, plans are available with a simple search. Having the correct diameter entry way is important, helps cut down on other competing birds.

http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/PDF...box%20Recs.pdf
    http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/fact-sheets-plans/

Boolit Master

Blue Birds are cavity nesters.
    Search the web for Blue Bird nest boxes.
    There are dozens of plans out there.
    If you have cats for pets or have feral cats nearby, mount then on metal pipe or conduit so the cats can`t climb pole and catch the babies.
    Tree swallows will also use these nest boxes.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    We always put up a "blue bird" house. You have to monitor it because sparrows will move in at the first chance. To the OP, I use an air rifle for the starlings and a Hav-a-heart repeating trap for the sparrows. The live trap is nice because you can sort the good from the bad, so to speak. To our friend in Venice, they make repeating traps for pigeons as well.
    It can help to cover the front of a bluebird box with metal then cover it again with a light wood. Properly built a sparrow cannot fit inside. They will enlarge the hole so they can kill the "invading" bluebird on it's nest. Bluebird boxes should be at least 100 yards apart and sited so the nest openings do not face another nest.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought sparrows, like starlings, were a non-native species

With all the neighbors around here now, I really hesitate to even get out my pellet rifle.

Boolit Master

There are 4 nonnative, invasive, unprotected birds in Oregon.
    House Sparrow, European starling, Eurasian collared dove, and pigeon also known as Rock Dove.

Boolit Master
    Texas Dept Of Transportation has subcontracted the cleanup of all roadkill to the buzzards. The Mexican buzzards also are taking on more and more of the concrete work…

I was told the buzzards were a protected species. I told the guy I didn’t think so but would check… sure ‘nough he spontaneously disassembled when that 55 grain Sierra hit him…

Rapier; to shoot a flying bird from the sky consistently with a rifle is quite a feat… I congratulate you on your excellent marksmanship!
    Last edited by wmitty; 08-17-2022 at 08:27 PM.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I would go after the female sparrows. If you have 30 nesting pairs, get rid of 29 females and you only have one nest. Get rid of the males and you would still have 30 nests with eggs and one tired/happy male sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Sparrows will destroy the population of the song birds.
    I've seen them drive off other birds while they were nest building. Also going into other bird's nests and throwing the chicks out.
    Yep, I saw them doing it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    I think I would go after the female sparrows. If you have 30 nesting pairs, get rid of 29 females and you only have one nest. Get rid of the males and you would still have 30 nests with eggs and one tired/happy male sparrow
    My understanding is they stay together as a pair for the time it takes to raise the new chicks.
    They don't have harems or whatever like deer and cows with one dominate male.

Here, there are a couple different kinds of song birds that look very similar to female sparrows.
    The male sparrow is very distinct.

Without a equal number of male or female for breeding pairs, the flock will shrink.
    At least that theory is working pretty well around here.

Also, the male sparrow is the aggressive one that destroys other bird's nests, or sits in it to run them off,
    and will go in and throw their chicks out of the nest.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I have been shooting sparrows since I was a kid in the 50's. I am still loosing ground on the population.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    Have been putting out bluebird box(es) in Michigan. Male English sparrows are the WORST for the bluebirds. They harass/fight/take over the box/break eggs/throw out chicks. They are way more aggressive than the females. The hole that lets in the bluebird lets in a sparrow. Starlings can't get in. I've made boxes for other people and have been to festivals/events where people have bluebird boxes. I tell everyone if you aren't willing to KILL English sparrows don't put up a bluebird box. I've had boxes 50 yards apart without issues.
    I typically get 2-3 nestings a year. This year the first two were destroyed. The first (4 eggs) got the eggs and nest before they hatched. Nesting material a mess. Second (5 eggs) four eggs hatched, got almost to fledging size, gone when we got home after being gone 2 days). Third (4 eggs) three hatched, one to fledgling size, gone when we got home after being gone 5 days. As big as it was when we left I doubt the sparrows messed with it and the nest wasn't messed with. Last year none of the 3 nestings made it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12