RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: bullet sizing problems

bullet sizing problems

So I picked up a Henry 44mag/spl rifle. I slugged the barrel, came up with .4312.

So I ordered a .432 sizer insert for my lee App press.

The bullets are dropping at .4321 from my friends NOE mold, and are measuring .4331 after powder coating. measuring on the lube groove area.

After sizing I am getting some odd numbers. the lube groove area is coming out at .4317. The bases are gas checked, and are coming out at at .4323.

I understand copper will spring back a little after sizing. The numbers just don't seems to add up to me. how is the body winding up 0.006 smaller than the base?

On a side note, bullets previously sized with the same alloy with the .430 sizer measure .430.
    Last edited by Shadow9mm; 07-18-2022 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Depends on what lead the sizing die was specific for when designed. Additionally soft lead will size smaller than harder alloyed lead mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Depends on what lead the sizing die was specific for when designed. Additionally soft lead will size smaller than harder alloyed lead mixes.
    bullets previously sized with the same alloy and my lee .430 sizer yielded bullets that were .430.

Boolit Master
    Pin gauges will show you if the actual diameter of the hole in the sizer die is correct. Then you can look the alloy and the time since cast. Then you mention powder coating, which requires baking in an oven and the age hardening starts all over again. You are not addressing some of the elements that affect size die performance.

Have you shot any of these bullets yet to find out how they work in your rifle? That would be my first move.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I'd see how they shoot before I started splitting hairs and over thinking.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Yea, that's weird that the groove area is sizing out smaller than before sizing. Have you tried sizing a couple without gas checks?

Not that it would explain anything, are you installing the gas check before or after PC? Sounds like after, might want to try checks then PC.

As for the tail being larger, what does that hurt other than providing a better gas seal. A variation of a hollow based boolit. lol

Does that Lee App press allow you to size either end first? You could try sizing a couple nose first and tail first to see if you get different results.
    Last edited by oley55; 07-19-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Measure gas checks before & afters sizing. Will be very close to the same. Brass returns to its orginal shape.

Lead, not as much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Measure gas checks before & after sizing. Will be very close to the same. Brass returns to its orginal shape.

Lead, not as much.
    perhaps maybe the checks need to be annealed?? how to thread here: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...fits-technique
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

what are you using to measure these boolits to the 4th decimal point?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

That's not .006. That's .0006" or 6 tenths. That's a perfectly normal spring back to see from a gas check. Annealing your gas checks will likely lower that, but it probably isn't needed. As for your second statement, Lee dies are pretty good, but being off half a thousandth would not be unacceptable to most people. Even then, I've seen variations of up to about .001" from the same die from different alloys. It seems high antimony alloys spring back a lot more than alloys closer to pure lead.

What mega said.^^^ & ReloaderFred.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Have you shot any of these bullets yet to find out how they work in your rifle? That would be my first move.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    ^^^^^^^^^^ THIS, shoot a few and see how they work, keep it simple.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    After reading through this thread a couple times I have to question what the problem is? If anything I see the bullets are too small right out of the mold and the only thing you have to grip the lands in the barrel is the powder coat. I have always figured at least .002 over barrel size for lead bullet to get good fit but that is not with PC. I am not a fan of PC because I do not trust plastic to get the job done. But asking just the plastic to grip the lands is crazy.

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of folks use powder coat to increase diameter of cast bullets.