WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Scope rings adjustment question

Boolit Buddy

Scope rings adjustment question

Hi Everyone,

I am not understanding this and hope that someone can explain it to me.

While holding the scope in my hand I can adjust the elevation to 35" before its maxed out. While the scope is mounted on the rifle I can only adjust the elevation
    to 29" and its maxed out. I thought I needed taller scope rings but it seems whether the rings are medium or Extra High the 29" stays the same.

Can someone explain to me what's causing this?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Internal or external adjustments ? rings and bases make and specifics. Height any elevation built into them. Action of rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I decided to order a 20MOA rail to mount on the rifle and it will give me the necessary elevation that I need.

Boolit Master

What are you measuring to get 35 vs 29? The number of clicks or actual measurements at 100 yards?

If you tighten down the rings you could be squeezing the tube a few thousandths reducing thr total amount of adjustment.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    What are you measuring to get 35 vs 29? The number of clicks or actual measurements at 100 yards?

If you tighten down the rings you could be squeezing the tube a few thousandths reducing thr total amount of adjustment.
    I am looking at the MOA as I turn the elevation dial, if I hold the scope in my hand I can get 35" in the direction I need to go in. Once I mount the scope I fall short 6" so I am not getting the extra 2" I need at 500yds. I thought about the tube being squeezed too much but I didn't over torque. I may have to loosen up and see what happens.

One of my Savage rifles has the same scope but those rifles also come with a 20MOA scope rail, I don't have any issues adjusting the scope on the savage for 500yds, just on my AR 308. Today I will know for sure once I put the 20MOA rail on.

Boolit Master
    What torque value are you using to tighten your rings. You may be over tightening rings and affecting scope internals. Check ring makers suggested torque values and follow that. Ring alignment may also affect the scope, if the rings are not aligned, the stress on the scope can affect the internals.

Boolit Buddy
    Trying to remember from the top of my head I think its 15, I use the Wheeler torque wrench. When I get home today I am going to check again and see what I can figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    What torque value are you using to tighten your rings. You may be over tightening rings and affecting scope internals. Check ring makers suggested torque values and follow that. Ring alignment may also affect the scope, if the rings are not aligned, the stress on the scope can affect the internals.

Moderator Emeritus

"While holding the scope in my hand I can adjust the elevation to 35" before its maxed out."

you must have a real steady hand?

Are you sure your technique to hold the scope isn't what is causing the difference?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

35 moa vs 29 moa from what? Reticle centered? from bottom range of adjustment? from zero after mounting on rifle?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    35 or29" at a hundred yards is going to be a LOT more than 6" or 2" at 500 yards....AND if you are going to be twiddlin n fiddlin with dials that much,and/or KNOW you are going to be shooting at eggzachary 500 yards..well just give it 2" of Kentucky windage....
    its a .308w if you sight it in to be zeroed 2-3" high at a hundred yards you will be point n shoot out to 300ish yards...so you will only need to twiddle n fiddle out past that,unless you trying to headshoot squirrels or some such....

Boolit Master
    Im picking you are getting muddled up and confusing moa and inch..... one moa is nearly an inch AT 100 yards..but its 2" at 200 yards 3 at 300 etc etc etc so by the time you are out at 500 yards each one of then little biddy clicks moves the Xhair a fair ol way..... even at worst case your 29 moa/inch cut in half ,assuming you mean 29 from bottom to top thats is still 14-15 inches at hundred yards x 5 = a LONG LONG way at 500 yards 70inches sort of thing.... look in the back of old loading manual for click values at given ranges.... its not as many clicks as you may think....
    but this is all theory to me...i do not often shoot past 350 yards so do not alter my scope AT ALL unless rezeroing /checking zero.... I simply do not need to.

Boolit Master
    You don't mention what type of mounts are on the rifle now. Had a similar issue on a club memebers rifle and swapping front and rear rings fixed the problem (real QC on the rings). Also you can try shimming the scope base if needed, this works well with one piece bases like the old Refdield base.