Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for .22 lr bolt action

Boolit Buddy
    Thx.
    Living here in Europe they´re about in abundance and thus doesn´t cost of all that.
    Count on 300 used or so.
    As you don´t really wear the barrel of a 22 out... used work just as well. At least to my findings.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Ruger American Rimfire. Mine was a tack driver out of the box.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    I have a model 60 Winchester that I enjoy. Lord only knows how old that thing is.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

If you have a 'Propensity for Precision' ... a 22lr Bench-rest rifle will be some of the best & affordable fun you can have!

I am biased on the CZ452 but...keep in mind, ALL THE HIGHER QUALITY offerings will shoot better & more consistently than you can...

I am retired and shoot alone here on my property...the fun for me is to try to beat myself...do better than I did before.
    Currently I am trying to shoot under an average of 1/2" @ 100 yards & keep all my groups within the 3/4" spot.
    If I miss the spot the group is a fail...since starting this game with myself I have had many many fails but I have learned to shoot in the wind much better.
    A simple little self-challenge like this one will keep you entertained for months...

I hope you will start a thread with your new rifle and show us your progress...the 'tips & tweaks' you will receive are priceless. There are many good shooters here & many will share helpful things about every piece of gear you use and believe me this..."every piece of gear can be made better, right down to the bench you are sitting at."

charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Best group to date from my Bergara B14R. Eley 10X five shots 100 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bergara B14R target - Eley 10X - 13 Feb 2023 - Data.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	310603
    Put the wrong picture up that didn't include the data. This one is correct.
    It will shoot sub 1/2 inch if it isn't too breezy.
    Thanks, Squid Boy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bergara B 14 R - Target - Eley 10X - 13 Febuary 2023 X small.jpg  

I shot a Rem 541 in NRA Sporter Rifle and shot NRA Master the last two years. Rifle will make one .22 caliber hole at 50 feet all day. I later put a Mueller scope on it and used it out to 300 yds on silhouette targets. I've since moved to a Win 52C. That is probably my favorite .22 of all times. Gun has lots of history if it could only talk. Says US Govt Property on the action and the barrel is acid etched "Totem Rifle Club, Anchorage, Alaska.
    Regards,
    Rob

Boolit Master

I have a CZ 452 Trainer and now a Bergara B14R that is consuming all my attention. Shoots into the .3's @25 (sighting in my Arken Scope) and I look forward to better weather and low winds to stretch her out to 100yds.

Boolit Bub
    I can't speak for the CZ but you should really like that Bergera. Squid

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid Boy View Post
    Best group to date from my Bergara B14R. Eley 10X five shots 100 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bergara B14R target - Eley 10X - 13 Feb 2023 - Data.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	310603
    Put the wrong picture up that didn't include the data. This one is correct.
    It will shoot sub 1/2 inch if it isn't too breezy.
    Thanks, Squid Boy
    I tried some Tenex in my B14R as well. It was awful. About 3” at 100 yards.

I was so happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    It just goes to show you how finicky 22's can be. I found that changing ammo usually requires a certain number of shots before it settles back down. Eley Match shoots about as well as 10-X but it doesn't like CCI standard velocity. I just got some Lapua long range to try but still can't locate any CCI Green Tag. Much too windy around here lately to bother shooting long range. Thanks, Squid

Boolit Buddy
    A few take-aways about 22lrs:
    1. They are ammo sensitive. Period. All of them. Buy 10-15 brands/types of ammo and test, test, test.
    2. There is a huge difference between the bench-rest/competition, bull barrel, high mag scope, full custom trigger type gun - and the field use type gun. Each have their place. Get one of each!
    3. Almost all 22 rifles will shoot better than you can when fired offhand. Chasing moa's is for benchrest/competion. If you compete, each style requires a special gun (biathlon is not the same as steel challenge duh!)
    4. most folks get a few and then only shoot one or two based on personal preference - so get a few and figure it out.

I like my Marlin 925 for field use, I love my Marlin 55 (shoots 1/2" at 50 yards with CCI Blazer 40gr), my Ruger MKi is great, and the other 4 or 5 22s don't see much use. This is typical with 22s. They are cheap, buy a bunch.

Banned
    Howa's and Bergara's are pretty accurrate.

Boolit Buddy
    A couple of the guys I shoot Mini Palma with are using the Arken scopes and really do well with them. I saw recently they now have some 30mm tube scopes which makes life a bit easier than the 34mm scope bodies. I think one of them will be on my CZ or Feinwerkbau soon. As an aside, I recently tested some Sellier and Bellot 22 Lr Club ammo. Its a solid performer at a reasonable price. A shop here had it for $470/5000 rounds. Its not Lapua Center-X but its darn good for general subsonic. Shoots around a half inch, 10 shot groups at 50 yards out of my CZ 452 Varmint.

Bergara bmr !!
    Mr. Bill2

Boolit Buddy
    As food for thought.
    Seeing the increase in pop as far as PRS 22 i opted to do a dressup of that old Anschütz a number of posts back.

That there to be more specific. Again, this is a fairly cheap 22cal gun to me where i live and atop that we can add suppressors as we see fit sans any and all permits or the likes.
    So subsonic it is.
    This rifle runs very well on SK rifle or SK Long range.

Anyways. I run a sorts of machine shop right and a local vendor has these KRG Bravo chassis for the Ruger 10/22 on sale. As in half the hang tag.
    Of course not one yota carries over to an Anschütz so what i came to do was turn like two "paws" that i welded in (yes, i weld aluminium too) in all three dimensions making for a very strong platform. In fact now more rigid than the stock KRG offering, no wonder.
    Used 6086 aluminium for the task, it´s a mere 22lr after all.

Then of course cutting for clearance here n there. The basic idea here being a cheaper than dirt PRS 22 rig all said.

Modified the plastic to take an adjustable butt pad. Came off of a PCP rifle.

Indeed! Here we go! Where i´m at i still need to pull some action tuning, bolt runs to "square" for my liking but on a general whole i´d say we´re there.
    Shooting steel at 100 meters in all honesty gets kind of boring after a while.. LOL. Yeah, she´s accurate enough for what i use her for alright.

But.. as stated, food for thought. This has turned into a real cheap PRS 22 gun that´ll about hit anything you point it at. It´s an Anschütz after all and "no original Anschütz parts were harmed or injured" in this process.
    In other words lift the action out of there and reinstall to the original stock.. presto and we´re back to square one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Browning T-bolt circa 1967..... Squirrel killin' machine....
    Just so happens in 1967 or 68 I passed up on a new T-bolt for an excellent price. I regret it to this day.

Boolit Bub
    Since it shoots a lead boolit I thought I would mention the fun to be had with long range air rifle shooting and "mini-sniping". I bought a Crossman Challenger and mounted a Vortex Venom on it. It uses a pre-charged tank system and is amazingly accurate out past 50 yards or more. I can tell you this has done wonders for my wind reading ability as the little 177 chunk of lead really moves around. Great fun. Thanks, Squid Boy

I recently had 4 out to play a little. Using CCI blazer I shot 3 fowlers the proceeded with 3, 5 shot groups, round robin style vs shooting all 3 groups with one rifle before moving on to the next.

The Ruger 77/22 shot a best group of .665, with an average of 1.018.
    The CZ 455 went as small as .447, with an average of .677.
    The Ruger American had a best of .735, with an average of .779
    The Savage B22 had a best of .340, with a .412 average.

One brand of 22 and the CZ is very accurate with one brand of ammunition I have but I didn’t think that would be an “apples to apples” comparison because it doesn’t really shoot anything else I have very great. That said, the savage is new and blazer might be ammo it loves, which would be great because nothing else I have shoots it the best.

CZ'z all the way for me, I own 452's, 455's and 457's and all will shoot sub one inch groups at 75 yards. They are squirrel killing machines.
    "The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors."

Boolit Buddy
    The biggest mistake people getting into accurate .22 shooting is buying a low powered scope. The best thing I ever did was buy a Vortex 6 X 24 X 50 SINGLE Focus Scope.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast