Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21 sharp

Boolit Master

21 sharp

I see that SAMMI legitimized the 21 SHARP. It fires a 25 gr bullet at 1725 fps. The drawing shows a bullet diameter of .2105. Does this do anything the .17 HMR doesn't? Some hyper velocity .22 LR can do that. I can't see what the need for this new cartridge is.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...2023-06-14.pdf

Would way rather see 25 rimfire make a comeback. More bullet, less speed for good squirrel killing. Sounds like these manufacturers are getting desperate to come up with something new.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Would way rather see 25 rimfire make a comeback. More bullet, less speed for good squirrel killing. Sounds like these manufacturers are getting desperate to come up with something new.
    I agree.

For edible small game, I really don't think you need any more velocity than about 1400 fps. And probably trainloads of rabbits and squirrels have been killed with a .22 going anywhere from 1000 to 1300 fps.

However, it seems that not many people actually hunt for the table any more.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I see that Winchester/Olin is listed as the support products supplier.

Now that they've pretty much orphaned the 17 WSM, they need a new bunch of suckers I guess.

Boolit Buddy
    This thread is the first I've heard of a 21 Sharp. Does anyone know more?

Boolit Master
    It sounds like I'd rather have a rimfire version of the .25 Hornet wildcat, instead.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

A 5mm “Stinger”?
    Just what the world needs.
    Not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I generally don't like to poopoo anything knew, but this thing makes less than 0 sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    My personal solution is 32 S&W long with a 60 grain JSP. Easily gets 1200 fps from a rifle, plus centerfire reloadability/reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    It sounds like I'd rather have a rimfire version of the .25 Hornet wildcat, instead.
    That would be the .25 Stevens HV, loaded to about 1800 fps.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Is this not like a 22lr, with out a healed bullet? Sort of a baby 22 WMR. It'll probably be everything the 17hm2 is, without the case neck splitting issues. I've often wondered why this route wasn't taken years ago. On top of that, it'll probably simply function in semiautomatic actions, where the 17hm2 was a real bear in semiautomatic actions.
    If this thing ever hits the market I'll buy one!

Boolit Master
    Boys will never stop trying to fix things not broken.

I've killed several tons of hogs with .22 CB Shorts.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Looks like just that. Case just big enough that it won't enter most .22 LR chambers, pressure quoted is on par with the Stinger-type .22 rounds, so case can be made on the same machinery as from the same coins as the .22LR., just slightly bigger body die and no neck-down operation. Bullet could be plated lead or jacketed, to stand 1800 fps. No big changes to semi-autos that already handle .22LR. So maybe it will be what the .17 HMR ought to have been.

Will I buy one? Not at my age. I just don't see it having enough of an advantage over an accurate .22LR for yard varmints.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I wish American ammo makers would put some of that effort into making some consistently good match 22lr competitive with the best Lapua or Eley.
    I remember when Federal made a run of ammo for the US shooting team for the Atlanta Olympics. It was supposed to be the best in the world using a dimpled base case like some of the russian ammo. I bought some - some of the cases had dimples, some didn't and it shot horribly. Just sliding the tray out of the sleeve and seeing different case bases scattered throughout the tray was just awesome. It doesn't appear we have gotten any better. We have been told that junk is quality for so long that a lot of us just accept the poor performance as normal.

Nevah hoppen, mon. American ammo mfgrs. made some fine ammo when the belly-shooting craze dominated competitive shooting, (Depression years and up into the '60s.) Almost every burg big enough to have a hardware store had weekly matches, they even shot indoors in winter. National .22 match results were always in the forefront of advertising. Full-page ads in the Rifleman every month. Not no more. Real precision shooting with the .22 is now a niche market, which doesn't earn the ammo mfgrs. enough money and/or market visibility for them to care.

That Federal stuff was superb ammo. I bought some at a gun show in the early '00s, and gaily shot it up practicing with my Ballards, thinking I would buy a case. Little did I know that it was collector ammo by then.

If you had a bad experience, what you got was a mixed lot.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-05-2023 at 11:51 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    I've still got a brick or so of the Federal Match ammo. I reserve it for use in the Savage/Anschutz Model 64.

When the ammo was new, it shot quite comparably to Eley Tenex in a Remington Model 581 that had been reworked into a Boys rifle.

Robert

Good for you! Me, I have maybe ten rounds of it. Maybe it'll bring a fat price per round from collectors someday.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    With the rocketing popularity of PRS style rimfire matches, the demand for precision ammo is skyrocketing. The local shop had cases of Lapua and Eley premium match ammo and they are completely wiped out. I shot, competed and coached Smallbore on a State and National Level since the late '70s. There are probably 25 clubs here in my state that are running precision matches and long range rimfire matches. My stash of match ammo from the last year the 50M rimfire championships were at Camp Perry are drying up. I think the demand is there, but I am not sure our resident rimfire manufacturers have any interest in doing better. Pity

It remains for a few experienced shooters not affiliated with a gun mfgr, ammo mfgr, trade magazine or "influencer"web site to buy a rifle and a brick or two of ammo to test. Volunteers?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    elmacgyver0 - GONRA sure sees a red flag with the "Best if used by ..." stuff.
    Bet its some new priming compositon with "uncertain" self life? ???
    Who NOS! !!

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    elmacgyver0 - GONRA sure sees a red flag with the "Best if used by ..." stuff. Bet its some new priming compositon with "uncertain" self life? ???
    Who NOS! !!
    ???Huh???? What did I miss?
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast