Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for .22 lr bolt action

Boolit Master
    Most any target rated rifle will be very accurate after you bless it and find the ammo it likes, if you get lucky you will get one that likes the cheaper ammo verses the expensive match ammo.

Boolit Master
    Shot a Lithgow crossover heavy ss barrel.
    Was shooting the about a half inch size group at 100 yrds with cheap hiland high velocity ammo.
    Impressed would be the word.
    I got called away unfortunately so we never finished sighting in his new rifle.

I have shot a couple and they have all shot tight groups at 50 yrds with cci std as a reference.

Worth a look for sure.

Boolit Bub
    I've tried to find/buy a Lithgow here in the US for better than three months now and no joy. Tried to get one imported from Australia, Britain and Canada with the same result. The best I could do is possibly get one from England but the tag was $1800US. If anyone knows where I can find one I would buy it or otherwise I am going with a Bergera B14R that is available right down the road. Thanks, Squid Boy

Boolit Master
    Keystone 722 is one accurate little adult sized rifle.

Boolit Bub
    No joy on the Lithgow so I brought home the Bergara today. It is darned nice overall and very smooth. Glass comes tomorrow and I'll try it soon.

Boolit Mold
    If you can find a Winchester Model 57, buy it.
    About my favorite rimfire, handles like a dream, and is very accurate.
    CZs in my rack are model 452 x5 ea. 453 x 4ea. 455 x 1, plus centerfires 527x3, a rare model 537, and a couple of 550's.
    Little Win. mo. 57 is never getting sold!

Boolit Bub
    I had an extremely accurate Win M-52 and a very fine BRNO ZKK-602 375 H&H but lust for something else clouded my mind and both got traded off. Dumbness happens sometimes. Bad weather is holding me back on shooting the Bergera. Maybe this week. Best, Squid

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Mossberg model 46
    Fitted with the diopter sight and good ammo, the Mossberg 46 will create ragged holes. Plus they look good. Mine is oil finished, don't think it's original but far better. Perfect dark red walnut with curl in it hence why it was refinished.

Boolit Bub
    Here' the first Bergara target after getting it in the paper at fifty yards. This is the last five of the first 18 down the tube. Data is on the target. I think it wants to shoot but I need to get used to it. Squid Boy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bergara target #3 - 5 December 2022.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	307937

Boolit Bub
    I took advantage of a very nice day to shoot the Bergara B14R at 100 yards. I was using some older Eley Match and it took about twenty shots to get settled down and then I shot this target with the last five I had. The group at the bottom edge is the one with four shots going into 0.388" the one outside brings it to 0.763" and I am pretty happy with it. Then I adjusted the scope and shot the last five of some older Eley Ten-X and I was hoping for a repeat but no joy. Four in 0.612" and five in 0.990". Still at factory settings. I like this gun. Thanks Squid Boy

Name:	Bergara B14R Target 8 - Data - 30 December 2022 small.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	308641

Boolit Master
    Looks pretty good to me.
    Be right happy with that.

Boolit Buddy
    A CZ or a Tikka. 10-22 triggers are just too crunchy for me to enjoy. Even with aftermarket parts tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy45 View Post
    A CZ or a Tikka. 10-22 triggers are just too crunchy for me to enjoy. Even with aftermarket parts tuning.
    post was about bolt actions 10/22 are semi auto's -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid Boy View Post
    I took advantage of a very nice day to shoot the Bergara B14R at 100 yards. I was using some older Eley Match and it took about twenty shots to get settled down and then I shot this target with the last five I had. The group at the bottom edge is the one with four shots going into 0.388" the one outside brings it to 0.763" and I am pretty happy with it. Then I adjusted the scope and shot the last five of some older Eley Ten-X and I was hoping for a repeat but no joy. Four in 0.612" and five in 0.990". Still at factory settings. I like this gun. Thanks Squid Boy

Name:	Bergara B14R Target 8 - Data - 30 December 2022 small.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	308641
    This is encouraging. I bought a Ruger American LR Target 8378 and was so disappointed that I took it back. I picked up a B14R, and intend on taking out for it's first outing tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

Boolit Buddy
    First day out with the Bergara, thought I'd share. I really only tested Norma and Eley Target. I shot a group with Green Tag as well, but only that one lucky group.

Winds were gusting in every direction today, so I shot at 50 instead of 100.

Norma averaged about 1.37 MOA, Eley Target averaged 0.93 MOA. I'm eager to see what other ammunition will do. I've collected several other flavors of Eley, some Wolf Match Target and Extra, and some others.

I'm also very happy to see that one group with Green Tag. If it really likes Green Tag, then it should be pretty good with SV as well, and I have a good stash of SV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ChuckJaxFL; 01-22-2023 at 06:31 PM.

I built this 22 several years ago and thought it might interest some.
    My used gun show 10-22, bought for 50 bucks, now has a Midway heavy barrel. I installed it using an inch pound torque wrench on the Allen heads just tight enough that IMO felt right. I did match each Allen head for even pressure. next, I bought a Heavy barrel laminate stock also from Midway and glass bedded both barrel and action. lastly, I made the trigger into a single set that is very easily done and breaks easily, to light perhaps for some. The action functions as it should but the trigger must be pushed forward until a click is heard or, set before it well fire. With plain old Blazer and a Leupold 3x9 compact, I get 1/2 inch, sometimes better at 50yds; sage rats have no chance at 75-100yds.

Boolit Bub
    I really like my Bergara but I am amazed by just how accurate some of the modified 10/22's can be. I'll have to find some Green Tag to test. It shoots CCI standard velocity well but not as good as I would like. Thanks, Squid Boy

Boolit Buddy

Yeah. She´s been around a little while, saw light in the late -70s. Doesn´t matter. A model 1416.
    That single stage trigger, jury´s still out on that one. Have adjusted it about as low as it´ll go while still being safe, which hands me maybe around 800 grams or so.
    That said.
    Using SK ammo this is a "ragged hole" gun at 100 meters using a 10rnd clip.

Right now fabbing a supressor for it (they´re perfectly legal without any red tape around here)

Using SK subs at that.. perfect plinker while still being a gun i bring to matches.

Boolit Buddy
    SK ammo has been very good in my guns. At half the price of Lapua, I get pretty much Lapua accuracy. I really like Center-X but SK Standard Plus will shoot right with it. I also found that the SK High Velocity Match shoots way better than expected for HV ammo. I think its a great option for windy days. From what I understand, Lapua and SK are made in the same plant in Germany. The early Wolf Match rimfire ammo was made there too until that shifted to Eley the last few years. The Wolf Match Target was my goto practice ammo for years. I shot cases of it including some personal best scores in 50 meter 3-P.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats a sweet Anshutz!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast