RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.7x28 reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Why would you put it in a rifle barrel put it in a 10.4 inch barrel for which it was designed.
    I stated that in response to the "almost a 5.56" statement. Comparing 5.7 against 5.56 in 10.4" barrels won't make the 5.7 better. More efficient with powder- sure.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I guess my question is simple. If it's so good of an idea (little rifle cartridge in a pistol) then why hasn't it been a game changer and adopted by all or most firearms brands? 5.7x28 is the only type there is out there. Seems almost like a gimmick.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I guess my question is simple. If it's so good of an idea (little rifle cartridge in a pistol) then why hasn't it been a game changer and adopted by all or most firearms brands? 5.7x28 is the only type there is out there. Seems almost like a gimmick.
    You may want to do a little search on military history.

Boolit Buddy
    I did a little research on this cartridge. It is designed for NATO as/for a Personal Defense Weapon (PDW). The general specifications were laid out by NATO as a "we need this, design the cartridge and a firearm to go with it."

Part of the spec was it was required to defeat body armor. And also be a small lightweight cartridge and weapon.

In this regard it works. My issue is: why does NATO think they need it???

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master

I was mostly referencing the 1898 game changer, the 7.65x21. A quick search shows 5.7x28 has only been a NATO round for about a year. I would guess any group that can't carry a rifle could like this such as FBI or secret service would love this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I stated that in response to the "almost a 5.56" statement. Comparing 5.7 against 5.56 in 10.4" barrels won't make the 5.7 better. More efficient with powder- sure.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    5.7 is likely most efficient in the 10.4" barrel it was designed specifically for/ in conjunction with.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CZbob9 View Post
    I have used this same trimmer before on my .223 because it was so cheap. Even used a drill too but I found that the length and cutting was inconsistent. Dont know if I was doing something wrong but gave up on it
    I'm not sure why that would be. I've got the Lee deluxe power quick trim, which is the same as the normal one, but has a bit so you can run it off a power drill. I've tried it on 223, 308, and 30-06. It zips cases down perfect in no time. Maybe it isn't as perfect as a Wilson trimmer, but it's every bit as accurate as my RCBS. I've never seen a case vary more than .002" in length with the Lee. After trying the RCBS with the 3 in one head, and power drill, then a WFT trim head (for a drill press), and finally this Lee quick trim, it's no contest for me. The Lee is hands down the best trimmer on the market for speed and convenience. The WFT is very good, but without a drill press it's kind of funky. The Wilson system should be more accurate, but you couldn't pay me enough to ever chamfer and deburr separately ever again. That garbage might even be worse than cleaning primer pockets, which I will also never do again.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You may want to do a little search on military history.
    I don't care too much about military history for the 5.7x28. That has nothing to do with a civilian use in every day environments. I simply said if the 5.7x28 is so good out of a pistol then not only would we see Glock, Walther, Sig, Taurus, S&W, etc 5.7x28 pistols but we would begin to see more rifle type cartridges get moved into handguns. Instead over 100 years later 9mm is still king.

So IMO and I'm probably wrong, wife tells me all the time. But I think the 5.7x28 is a gimmick for a civilian.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not sure why that would be. I've got the Lee deluxe power quick trim, which is the same as the normal one, but has a bit so you can run it off a power drill. I've tried it on 223, 308, and 30-06. It zips cases down perfect in no time. Maybe it isn't as perfect as a Wilson trimmer, but it's every bit as accurate as my RCBS. I've never seen a case vary more than .002" in length with the Lee. After trying the RCBS with the 3 in one head, and power drill, then a WFT trim head (for a drill press), and finally this Lee quick trim, it's no contest for me. The Lee is hands down the best trimmer on the market for speed and convenience. The WFT is very good, but without a drill press it's kind of funky. The Wilson system should be more accurate, but you couldn't pay me enough to ever chamfer and deburr separately ever again. That garbage might even be worse than cleaning primer pockets, which I will also never do again.
    Do you press down on your drill while you are cutting or do you let the weight of the drill be enough?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I don't care too much about military history for the 5.7x28. That has nothing to do with a civilian use in every day environments. I simply said if the 5.7x28 is so good out of a pistol then not only would we see Glock, Walther, Sig, Taurus, S&W, etc 5.7x28 pistols but we would begin to see more rifle type cartridges get moved into handguns. Instead over 100 years later 9mm is still king.

So IMO and I'm probably wrong, wife tells me all the time. But I think the 5.7x28 is a gimmick for a civilian.
    FN, Thompson, and Ruger have 5.7 handguns...

There are plenty of rifle type cartridges in handguns. Heizer defense has .223 and 7.62x39 micro mini handguns.. MR has their BFR revolvers.. I have an automag III in .30 carbine... I own a revolver in 30-30 and 45-70.. the list goes on....

If you ask me.. those are more of a gimmick than 5.7 in a handgun. I love my ruger 57 20 round magazine in the space of most other brands 12-15 round magazine... no real recoil... REAL good ballistics ... beats a 9mm in every metric on standard ammo... fps, joules, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you press down on your drill while you are cutting or do you let the weight of the drill be enough?
    I just use the weight of the drill, but its a big Milwaukee and I usually grab the biggest battery I have, which I think it the 5.0. I do use a light rocking or rolling motion just to get an even cut since the drill pulls so hard to one side.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    FN, Thompson, and Ruger have 5.7 handguns...

There are plenty of rifle type cartridges in handguns. Heizer defense has .223 and 7.62x39 micro mini handguns.. MR has their BFR revolvers.. I have an automag III in .30 carbine... I own a revolver in 30-30 and 45-70.. the list goes on....

If you ask me.. those are more of a gimmick than 5.7 in a handgun. I love my ruger 57 20 round magazine in the space of most other brands 12-15 round magazine... no real recoil... REAL good ballistics ... beats a 9mm in every metric on standard ammo... fps, joules, etc.
    Don't get too bent up about it Soundguy. I'm not one who thinks energy is a good metric to judge at all, but even I have seen the effectiveness of velocity. There are a surprising number of members on this forum who honestly believe a 45 colt is more powerful than a 223 remington because it's bigger. Heck, there are regularly arguments that 45 colt is more powerful than 44 magnum because it is .020" bigger.

Boolit Master

I hear ya. I think some people don't understand the relationship of velocity and cavitation and temporary and permanent wound channels. 5.7 travels at over twice the velocity of 9 mm across the board and has more energy even though it has a smaller weight projectile. The cavitation and moon channel that round makes puts 9 mm to shame.

Boolit Grand Master

I've lived 73 years .
    The things I regret the most ...aren't things I did but things I didn't do when the opprotunity presented itself .
    Passing on a 41 magnum Ruger Blackhawk in 1975 (never got one) . Not buying that Sharps black powder rifle in 45-70 because I didn't know how to load BP cartridge ... so many things I didn't buy because ... I was afraid to spend the money , thought times would get better and I would have more money ... hoped for a better deal to come along ... better times and better deals seldom if ever come around ... you pass on something and chances are you will never own one ...
    Here's a truth ... Life is too damned Short to pass up on experiences ... You wait and next thing you know ...you old half blind crippled by age ... No , don't wait , don't pass up that opprotunity to try out that 5.7 X 28 ... Go Get It ... you can figure out the loading ...heck it's just a short bottle neck round ...You can do it .... you don't want to miss the boat ...I only regret passing up all the deals and opprotunities I did in the 1960's ... times do not get better ... If you have a itch to own one ...scratch that itch ...do it NOW !!!
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-20-2022 at 02:21 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

I have found new factory ammo for the 5.7x28 locally (Atwoods) for $38.99 a box of 50, have not tried to reload the brass yet.
    Life member NRA and Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Big bore air rifle shooter

Boolit Mold
    I load 5.7x28
    I use true blue powder
    Small rifle primers
    Every one is trimmed, hand weighed powder charge, and case gaged
    I made a factory crimp die long before made one for this cartridge.
    I can tell you .1 grain difference makes a huge difference in primer pressure signs
    I can also tell you in my five-seven, charge weight is nowhere near published max load and they are already too high of pressure, I recommend starting at the minimum load and work up .1 at a time

Boolit Master

I had an AR top for it. Needed 16 inch so it was not a SBR glad I did not waste $200 bucks for the stamp on a SBR.I fired 2 50 round mags out of it one for me one for my son we both said overrated 22mag sold it and 1/2 case of ammo and never looked back.

Boolit Master

I'm not aware of any 22 mag that can defeat body armor.....

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez follow Fast54vw's advice EXACTLY and "stay out of trouble"!!!

Additional Weighty Thoughts: (warm up yer wallet, patience.....)

Use RCBS SMALL BASE dies, STP Oil Treatment case lube,
    LARGEST PRESS POSSIBLE to REPRODUCIBLY resize cases.
    Leave the small case sizing lube residue ON THE CASE!

AVOID KABOOMS - bullet MUST leave the barrel guys/gals!
    Others have (endlessly!) experimented with other powders, etc.
    BUILD on their experience, don't dream up new brainstorms ....
    Use first class safety glasses / goggles.
    Let someone ELSE develop "subsonic loads".

You may NOT be able to peer into the charged case to check for a double charge!
    >>> Illuminated or NOT! <<<
    Develop a double check weighing system to suit yer situation....

No Distractions - keep the wife, 3 kids, 2 cats and the hamster
    waaaay out of the way somewhere....

Good Luck!
    Last edited by GONRA; 11-04-2022 at 04:44 PM.

Boolit Master

I wanna hear some reasoning from you guys. Dat gum if I didn't go to Cabelas today and look at a FN Five Seven. They had one and I liked it a decent bit and could put it on my Cabelas card. But I just couldn't throw the line in the water. I got scared that I wouldn't be able to feed it if I did get it. Does anyone here reload for this round? Do you guys think its possible at all to cast for it? Is there any hope at all or should I just forget it?
    To revisit this.. now that it has been a few months.. I'm sucessfully casting for it now with 40gr gas checked that I made from a long awaited MP mold. I set them over accuate #5

So far not a single issue. I have damaged exactly 2 cases.. I don't do anything magic with the lube.. just regular case lube.. alcohol/lanolin... and I run it on a 4 hole lee turret. Cases do have to get trimmed each time so far...

no leading... no failures to feed, fire, extract.. etc.

Catching cases for re-use is done via a tarp now.. although each session I do seem to loose 1-2 from fliers.. as the ruger 57 seems to really toss them...

PS.. no load development either.. I use the very scant data I found in western powder books / with lee dies. A#5 and true blue are the only powders I have that i have found data for.
    Last edited by Soundguy; 11-03-2022 at 09:50 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast