WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5.7x28 reloading

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I'm not aware of any 22 mag that can defeat body armor.....
    And no 5.7x28 will either as each and every round would be a Federal Felony Duh! Handgun ammo cannot be sold for that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    And no 5.7x28 will either as each and every round would be a Federal Felony Duh! Handgun ammo cannot be sold for that.
    You forget the 5.7-28 was originally chambered in a carbine the PS 90 and there was 5.7-28 ammo that would defeat body armor so duh yourself

Boolit Master

I just went and looked up the study for you where they tested the SS 197 sporting ammunition and the SS 190 ammunition that was out a long time ago from FN for the PS 90 before there were any handguns. The SS 190 ammunition will penetrate 3A body armor from a handgun or a 16 inch carbine the SS 197 sporting ammunition will penetrate 3A body armor do a 16-in carbine but not through the handgun so there's your duh ss190 ammunition exist and is out there which is why I said I don't recall any 22 Magnum defeating body armor because there is in fact 5.7-28 ammo that will defeat body armor and in the case of using a 16-in carbine like a PS 90 it doesn't even have to be the hard to find SS 190 it can be the regular SS 197 you can go by down at the hardware store

Boolit Master

Then FN Made the pistol DUH?

All 7.62 is considered a pistol round

Same as the 5.7x28 Don't get arrested ain't fun.

Boolit Master

Changes nothing in my original post. I said I don't recall any 22 mag defeating body armor... But 5.7-28 could. I'm still correct. None of the facts have changed. Whether or not handguns came out in 5.7-28 changes none of the facts in my comment. Ss190 can penetrate IIIa body armor. Ss197 can penetrate IIIa body armor whenbfired by a gun like a PS 90. Ss197 is sporting ammo..not armor piercing..its legal... It can be fired in a handgun or rifle..whennfired in a rifle..it will penetrate IIIa body armor.

Show me 22mag that will do that. Duh!

Moderator Emeritus

Come on guys, not the pit. Some of us are interested in reloading for this cartridge. I don't want the thread closed.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 11-04-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Well I do reload for 5.7 by 28 however I don't reload for 22 magnum. Originally I was using Hornady 40 grain pretty much like the factory loading and then I switched to Casting my own once I got an MP mold that could do 40 grain flat points and hollow points gas checked.

Boolit Master
    SOUNDGUY - to date, all GONRA's 5.7x28mm FN loading
    has been done from a pyle of "once fired" FN brass.
    Source is believed to be US Gov. Agencies....

Such full powered 5.7x28mmFN ammo fired cases from these
    '"cartridge case / chamber wall friction" RETARDED BLOWBACK actions
    produces BOTTLE SHAPED fired brass.

>>> Whole different ball game fellas! <<<.

(Yer huntin' rifles DON'T produce "BOTTLE SHAPED fired brass")

Many (weak) presses / (crappy) dies / (???) case lubes
    CANNOT properly handle this stuff.
    >>> BE CAREFUL!! <<<

Get yer micrometer out / check resized brass diameters
    against loaded FN FACTORY ammo reference specimens...
    Last edited by GONRA; 11-04-2022 at 08:45 PM.

Boolit Master

Well Gonra.. The 1 quart, once fired 5.7-28 brass I started out with all came from ps90's.. So probably exact same condition as yours.. And yes, it was a small process of events to get the dies setup correctly..but no more difficult than some other bottleneck cartridges that size. For instance..i reload 218 bee.. It's nearly identical in size..but has a thinner neck..so plenty of care is needed.
    I was given my bag of brass because another reloader could not successfully reload it..every case he tried either crushed the neck downwards..or it otherwise would not chamber..so he gifted it to me.
    I was reloading it the same day. In the end..it cost me exactly 2 cases. The first one I pushed the neck back too far... After that I was making good cases that all chamber into my 5-7 perfectly. During the reloading session I reloaded a little over 100 cases. Mid batch I had a case neck that didn't get quite enough inside chamfer and the 40gr vmax projectile ripped the neck. Since then I having damaged one..nor made any that didn't chamber or function perfectly. When the guy that gave me the bag of brass heard that, he asked me to prep a hand full of cases and send them to him so he could setup his dies off my dummy cartridges. ( for reference I am using Lee dies..he is using rcbs ). I sent them. He later let me know that as soon as he set his dies pup off my dummies his very first completed cartridge went fine. He is now also reloading them. He still has about 300 1-fired brass. He sold his ps90.. But has both a FN and ruger 5-7 .
    So... There's no magic to reloading them..just setup your dies correctly.
    I DO have factory FN and AE ammo on hand as well...and yes.. A fired cartridge does sometimes blow the shoulder out and forward depending on what they were fired out of. I find that they have to be trimmed at least after first then second firing..by third..they don't grow very much..but I give every case a ride on the trimmer. I did have to turn/Polish one of my 22cal neck pilots down so that I could run these on my rsbs case trimmer. The stock 22 cal pilot is just a hair big for these 5.7.

Past that... It's just reloading... Clean..case prep..lube..size..trim..chamfer..prime..charge..pr ojectile...boom... Rinse and repeat...

Ps..my cases were sized on my 4 hole Lee turret..0 problems... It's a small case... Nothing taxing... A cheap Lee C alloy frame press would have 0 problems... It's not a belted magnum safari case or anything...

Moderator Emeritus

Any issues with the cases and the "coating" after reloading with say the Ruger? There were articles warning about aggressive cleaning of the brass and extraction issues.

Boolit Master

I didn't aggressively clean them..but do lightly clean them. I've read the horror stories about the coatings. I ran 1 mag full in a corn cob walnut mix tumbler for 2 hours.. Wiped down and processed, then loaded..the next batch just wiped down..blew out and processed and loaded.
    Absolutely -0- difference. Easy to tell the cases apart as the tumbled one's were matte finish.
    Maybe in the original FN guns it made a difference..but makes -0- difference in my Ruger 5-7.

Boolit Master

Can't edit my post. Should say I don't usually aggressively clean the 5-7 but did tumble 1 batch to see effects. Not sure why I can't edit..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123