RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elmer Keith’s 38 Spl and 358429 load experiences?

Boolit Master
    I once loaded up some of their Ruger/Contender only loads for my Contender with a 14" .44 Mag barrel. They got 1350 fps with a Super Blackhawk with its cylinder gap and 7-1/2" barrel. My perfectly sealed 14" barrel chronographed the same load at 1600 fps.
    I know the results may be "underwhelming", but I don't find the comparison implausible. Losing only 250 f/s from a vented barrel that is 47% shorter than the un-vented one, that's not awful. Extrapolating to what might be had from a 18.5" barrel I get 1750 f/s, which is about what I'd expect.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Personally, I think that 5.0 grains of Unique under a 358429 is too hot a load for standard .38 Special. In some books, that's a starting load for .357 Mag. I download mine a bit, and don't feel undergunned.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    He blew up a few guns, too - so he sometimes pushed the envelope.
    It was only one. A 45 colt SAA, and he was shooting 45-70 bullets out of it. I'm not sure I've seen what the powder load was, but I would guess it was all of the 2400 that he could. He then stepped back, wrote some experts, learned, and never blew up another gun.

Your talking about a guy who was burned alive as a kid, took some hard liquor, and had his parents peel is burned skin apart on his hand so he could use it again.

He didn't make mistakes twice. His later published loads might be a little strong for the sissy engineers, but I trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It was only one. A 45 colt SAA, and he was shooting 45-70 bullets out of it. I'm not sure I've seen what the powder load was, but I would guess it was all of the 2400 that he could.
    As I recall it was Dupont #80 that he had ground to the consistency of flour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12