MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elmer Keith’s 38 Spl and 358429 load experiences?

Elmer Keith’s 38 Spl and 358429 load experiences?

What do you think of Elmer’s classic 38 Special load using 5.0 grs Unique under Lyman 358429? I use this bullet in 38-44 and 357 Mag loadings, but never handloaded the 38 Spl with 5.0 grs Unique and the 358429. I’m hoping that the 5.0 grs Unique/358429 will serve me well both at the range and on the trail out here.

I’m estimating about 900 fps +/- from a 4 5/8 in Ruger BH.

Appreciate any comments on this Keith load including any history which you can share, it’s accuracy and all around effectiveness.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 07-17-2022 at 11:18 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Good load in sturdy revolvers, S&W Model 10-5 and later, Colt Official Police, any of the Rugers. Would avoid in pre-1970 Colt D-frames or S&W J-frames if you want the gun to last.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Lyman lists 4.2 grains of Unique as getting you to 841 fps out of a 4" barrel on a "Universal Receiver" which tells me they were probably running a TC Contender with no cylinder gap to bleed pressure from. That said, I'd say your 900 fps estimate is realistic, and honestly, what need is there for faster?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9mm Ranch Dog Jug 9 recover 1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	302279

Name:	9mm Ranch Dog Jug Stick 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	302280

This is a 9mm 135 grain NOE Ranch Dog cast of air cooled wheelweight driven to 1030 fps, which as you can see from the photo I get a great deal of amusement out of, ALLLLLLMOST made it into the tenth water-filled milk jug full of water set at 7 yards.

Name:	LBT 452230 LFN Jug Test.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	302281

Also got nine jugs out of the LBT 230 grain .45 at GI speed of 830 fps.

Name:	.32-20 9 and 3 jugs 1250fps.jpg 
Views:	890 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	302282

A little more exotic, but the same 130 grain .320" rifle bullet cast of two alloys fired at the same 1250 fps. Nine jugs for the hard one; three for the softer 20-1 version.

So if you want to deploy the .358 Keith's 170 grains of a harder alloy anywhere near the ballpark of a thousand FPS, I have every confidence it'll adequately penetrate anything walking in N. Nevada.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

If I have any energy remaining this evening I’m going to load up about 25 and bring to the range tomorrow am and chronograph.

Boolit Grand Master
    Big Slug,
    Interesting post
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Mr Keith liked to tip the bottle, rye bourbon unique 2400 didnt matter

Boolit Master
    I always thought Uncle Elmer's .38 Special load was 13.5/2400/158 gr. LSWC (DON'T try it!). I thought I remembered 12.5/2400/170 LSWC as Skeeter Skelton's ".357 Mag approximation" using .38 Special cases, back when .357 brass was simply unobtainable. If memory serves, the 170 gr. bullet was crimped in the SECOND crimping groove, giving the round an OAL long enough to keep it out of the more dainty .38 Special revolvers.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

In the 1950's - 1970's, we ran the #358429 over 5.0grs of Unique in Colt OP, S&W K frame and SAA's all the time.
    Never in a small frame Colt or S&W. My 1968 S&W M10 & 1957 Colt O.P. show no ill effects to this day. A great load for tumbling jackrabbits.
    These days I run it lighter in difference to my arthritis.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I always thought Uncle Elmer's .38 Special load was 13.5/2400/158 gr. LSWC (DON'T try it!). I thought I remembered 12.5/2400/170 LSWC as Skeeter Skelton's ".357 Mag approximation" using .38 Special cases, back when .357 brass was simply unobtainable. If memory serves, the 170 gr. bullet was crimped in the SECOND crimping groove, giving the round an OAL long enough to keep it out of the more dainty .38 Special revolvers.
    That first one was Skeeters load with the Ray Thompson bullet, 358156 which had dual crimp grooves.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Big Slug,
    Interesting post
    Thank you. I think that it's a lingering of observations made in the day of soft core, rapidly-expanding, and sometimes fragile jacketed bullets that often cause many of us to lean toward cast bullets that may be heavier, or loads that my be hotter, than needed for the job at hand.

As I often say of the original blackpowder .45 Colt loadings - that round was intended to screw not just you, but also the horse you rode in on, so I have trouble seeing the sense in trying to turn it into a wrist-pummeling .454 Casull unless maybe for sake of trajectory. With proper bullet selection, the .357 kinda falls into the same boat, and I like where the OP is trying to go.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    . I thought I remembered 12.5/2400/170 LSWC as Skeeter Skelton's ".357 Mag approximation" using .38 Special cases, back when .357 brass was simply unobtainable. If memory serves, the 170 gr. bullet was crimped in the SECOND crimping groove, giving the round an OAL long enough to keep it out of the more dainty .38 Special revolvers.[/QUOTE] I dont think that is the correct load. I have the article he wrote about that load. I will post Skeeters load latter .

Boolit Bub
    . If memory serves, the 170 gr. bullet was crimped in the SECOND crimping groove, giving the round an OAL long enough to keep it out of the more dainty .38 Special revolvers.[/QUOTE] Skeeter had no concern for dainty revolvers His objective was ,self defense. He was carrying two guns at the time a 357 and a 38 HD As a latter poster has said it was a 158 grain bullet. I will post the article latter

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Mr Keith liked to tip the bottle, rye bourbon unique 2400 didnt matter
    LOL

maybe so,...be he also shot more than he typed, . . . . unlike most gun writers

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

“38 Spl with 5.0 grs Unique and the 358429…
    I’m estimating about 900 fps +/- from a 4 5/8 in Ruger BH.”

Doing the same. 5 gn Unique, bullets weigh 169-171, made from range scrap. To be fired from a 5.5” Ruger New Vaquero. Tumble lubed, sized to .358”.

Trying to duplicate some vintage/classic loads. This was listed in the Lyman CB #3. It’s not in #4. I suspect it, or its equivalent, was moved to the +P or .357 section.

I get the impression that Unique (and maybe Bullseye) are falling out of favor, if only with manufacturers, replaced by more modern powders that are cheaper to make, cleaner, and which serve a broader range of applications. I know that Unique, Bullseye, and 231/HP38 filled a lot of cases over time. But they are becoming vintage powders. Which is part of their appeal. I can do all my pistol reloading with these powders. I picked up some Shooters World Clean Shot because it was available. But I am not doing anything that a reloader/shooter could not do in 1950.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 08-14-2022 at 04:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    LOL

maybe so,...be he also shot more than he typed, . . . . unlike most gun writers
    He blew up a few guns, too - so he sometimes pushed the envelope.

Boolit Grand Master
    Elmer loaded Hot.
    He used heavy frame 38/44

Im not a fan of torture testing my firearms. Your gun, do what you want.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    What do you think of Elmer’s classic 38 Special load using 5.0 grs Unique under Lyman 358429?…. Appreciate any comments on this Keith load including any history which you can share, it’s accuracy and all around effectiveness.
    Shot this last Sunday with apx 170 gn cast from range lead, over 5.0 gn of Unique, at 15 and 50 yards, two hands unsupported. The bullets ranged from 169-172 gn. I find range lead to be pretty soft, variable, heavy. Fired from a SW686 with a 4 inch barrel. It did not have as much recoil as expected, it was a heavy revolver.

The surprise, though it should not have been, was how much drop at 50 yards. Quite a bit. Will try with 158 +P to compare. Will try again this Sunday with a SW27, 5 inch barrel and New Vaquero, 5.5 inch.

Boolit Master
    I'D like to know how many grains of Unique in a .38 Special case will propel a 158 gr. LSWC or LRNFP at 1100 f/s from a 4" barrel IN A .357 Magnum revolver. Since I own no .38 Special firearms, and do not loan out my reloads to others, THIS load would be JUST for my use. Its intent would be for general purposes, but also for social situations, should they arise. The .38 Special case is shorter, and slightly faster and easier to eject than the longer .357 magnum case (which, yes, I know, will develop the desired ballistics), which mat mean life or death if I must fight someone with a revolver.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 08-28-2022 at 02:11 PM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I really like the bullet but I don't load it that hot for the 38 special.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Lyman lists 4.2 grains of Unique as getting you to 841 fps out of a 4" barrel on a "Universal Receiver" which tells me they were probably running a TC Contender with no cylinder gap to bleed pressure from.
    A gunsmith in northeast Texas told me that he once did testing at Lyman. He said the universal receivers were M96 Swedish Mauser receivers. That wasn't the point of the conversation but I wish now I had asked more questions. Lyman usually specifies the type of firearm if they used, for example, a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7-1/2" barrel. I once loaded up some of their Ruger/Contender only loads for my Contender with a 14" .44 Mag barrel. They got 1350 fps with a Super Blackhawk with its cylinder gap and 7-1/2" barrel. My perfectly sealed 14" barrel chronographed the same load at 1600 fps.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast