RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Shotgun tube mag extension installation: to drill or to flatten the dimples?

Question Shotgun tube mag extension installation: to drill or to flatten the dimples?

What are the pros and cons of each of the methods?
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Master

Flatten-probably reversable. Drill-reversable, but more difficult.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    Drill, you now have holes in the magtube for dirt, seeds, water or whatever to get in and cause bad things with your feeding cycle.

Flatten, if done right not too noticeable.

Robert

What is considered right for flattening?
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Grand Master

Drill it!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Why should I drill and not flatten?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Why should I drill and not flatten?
    Unless we are talking about something different here.....I have only ever flattened the dimples and, as above, I cant see the reason why anyone would want to drill holes in a magazine tube to let in water and debris. Honestly, the water wont do any damage or cause a jamb right away...it will lead to corrosion later and that can cause problems. Debris, on the other hand can cause an immediate jamb and stop the gun at an inopportune time. Best case you get upset, worst case you wake up dead!!!
    I have a bar {actually two, 12 and 20ga} that I turned on my lathe to swage the dimples out. It just has a long slow taper on one end and I grease it up and drive it into the mag tube. The dimples are ironed out easily and no holes to worry about later. I cannot see any reason I would ever need to put them back. The dimples are a convenience, not a necessity for the gun to work.

Edit: I guess I should clarify that once driven in to the mag tube the dimples will appear gone, but they still have a somewhat tight hold on the bar. To remove it I simply use a nice smooth brass hammer to hit flat right where the dimples were until it loosens and I can retract the swage bar. It really is as easy as it sounds and no holes. I think the cheesy appearance of the holes alone are enough to make me say, "No way"!!!!!