RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Where to purchase a taller front sight?

Where to purchase a taller front sight?

Recently we put a Skinner peep on a 'no tang' Browning 1886 in .45-70. It has the dovetail cut into the octagon barrel. I have the Lee 340 and 400 grain molds. It is hitting about 16" high at 50 yards. I have been looking at front blades on the Skinner and Williams sites. Today I will measure the original and figure the height based on info from Skinner. Is there a better option? Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by hc18flyer; 07-17-2022 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Incomplete info

Try Marbles. If you’re shootings at sedate velocities, increasing the speed probably will lower the point of impact

Boolit Master

Midway or Brownell's. Just be certain you order the correct base dovetail because yours may be a metric size.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

A better option is a globe front sight, and Lyman sells them in various heights with a set of inserts. Everything from a .404" to a .584", with about 4 in between heights to choose from.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...t-front-sights

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Try Marbles. If you’re shootings at sedate velocities, increasing the speed probably will lower the point of impact
    Yes, prefer to shoot sedate loads. My 340 grain Lee has a plain base aluminum check, runs 1325 fps. Intend to just bang some steel plates, and maybe a whitetail?

Boolit Master

This has helped me many times over the years — question, “no tang Browning”? Unlike my Miroku 1886’s the Brownings don’t have that blasted tang safety, all that takes is a drill and tap and I’m assuming you already had to do that on the bolt for your Skinner..

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/si....htm?lid=13186

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Taz, I misspoke, our Browning is a Japanese made Model 1885. The barrel was already tapped and fit the Skinner peep perfectly. I used the calculation on Skinner's website to figure the height for a new front sight. Previously I shot the rifle out of a 'lead sled', and not sure how much downward pressure I had on the forearm? I hadn't considered 'dwell time', or how the rifle might be held tighter, off hand? I plan to buy the Skinner brass patridge sight in the next taller size, the rear is already screwed down as far as it will go. Next I can increase the powder charge or move up to the 400 grain bullet? Tom

Boolit Master
    I am with Marlinman 93, I would put a Lyman 17 of the correct height on it. I currently have them on several of my rifles, and Have 4 more arriving today. If you need a extra tall one, i have an xtra. I would measure from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight, probably between .400--.500 of an inch. Then look at the sight and see how much room is between the bead and the point of impact, you should see how much more taller ft sight you need, like a 1/2 or full sight body higher.
    Last edited by koger; 07-18-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    The two I have extra are .850 or so high.