Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How strong is JB Weld?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Masonry bits won’t put a dent in these stones unless the drill uses a hammer function.
    What is says on the label (like steel) believe it ,how about engine block D+T for stripped bolt/Ed

Good video, very imformative as to which products perform the best.

Then you can compare results vs price and find the right product for you.

That was actually a fun interesting way to start my morning.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Friend had the crank case of his 20hp lawn tractor crack. He cleaned it off with multiple acetone washes, used JB weld, and used that mower for another 5 years before one of the pistons decided to go out the side... JB Weld wasn't repairing that!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Good video, very imformative as to which products perform the best.

Then you can compare results vs price and find the right product for you.

That was actually a fun interesting way to start my morning.
    Best channel on youtube. He does testing on stuff guys and gals that fix stuff or build things themselves actually use. Motor oil, penetrating oil, screw drivers, skilsaw blades, drill bits and so on. No sponsors so real results. He buys everything from a box store himself. My first stop before buying anything. Nice thing is he usually tests cheap like HF vs expensive like Snap On and lets you weigh use vs price.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

There is a you tube video that covers this in exact poundage and pull strength. IIRR something like 50 foot pounds with a 1/2 inch bolt.

Ok after ordering some new stuff similar to JBWeld I have a progress report.

Product is this.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AB4A8M...roduct_details

PC Products PC-7 Epoxy Adhesive Paste, Two-Part Heavy Duty, 1/2lb in Two Cans, Charcoal Gray

I paid 8.70$ for a half pound in 2 cans. Comes in 2 screw top jars marked A & B.

A is a light gray.
    B is dark, almost black, and sticky.

I used a 3x3 piece of cardboard as my mixing surface.
    And a 5" piece of heavy bamboo skewer with one end flattened down a bit on both sides as my mixing and applicator.

Project was a whisk for cooking that was coming apart. Handle came off. The wires were welded and left all different lengths.

I locked it in vice and trimmed even with hack saw. Then wound a strip of paper towel so I had about a 1" section for PC7 to settle into and stick.
    I also took a short length of light copper wire and twisted it together to make a hanging loop. Trimmed the ends and shoved it down into the goop.

When the butt section was cured I went around the front connecting the wires to the tubing of the handle. Makeing a sort of non drip strengthening ring.

In the video he made a comment about the texture. While not as stiff as a putty, I found it easier to work with than my JBWeld epoxy which can flow as it sets.
    It is stiff, just more flexible than a putty based.

This JB7 stayed put very well. For about the same price I got 2 tiny tubes of JB Weld that is easier to mix as it is more liquid. But harder to work with.
    For under 10$ I have 2 large tubs and can make as much as I need without fear of running out. It does have a longer cure time. But that also gives you more time to work with it.

Once mixed the PC7 was very stiff. Stayed on my bamboo with dripping or messing. Once stuck in place I could hang in to cure. Come back in a couple of hours and improve the finish. As it was stuck, but still moldable. Would give under finger pressure without sticking.

If you have not figured out by now i'm pretty happy with this stuff. Good product at a good price. Easy to work with. 24 hours was not really solid for me so I gave my project 48 before calling it good and putting it into the Utensil jar ready for service.

Mix well, don't try to apply it until you have a uniform color.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I already posted about a hot rod build using JB. I remembered another event I did about 6 years ago. The bolts going into the manifold for the water pump on my OLD Kawazaki Mule were stripped out and leaking. Leak got so bad I thought I was going to give up on it and park it in the back 40's bone yard. Made up a batch of JB and slapped it back together. Ran fine for several more years NOT leaking before the engine "Gave up the Ghost". Those things run HOT in the summer also. JB held.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Sammy Shadetree stripped or blew a spark plug out of a Ford 5.4L head and glued it back in with JB Weld. I discovered what he had done a few hundred miles after I bought the truck when it blew out again. In retrospect, I was surprised that it held up as long as it did.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Sammy Shadetree stripped or blew a spark plug out of a Ford 5.4L head and glued it back in with JB Weld. I discovered what he had done a few hundred miles after I bought the truck when it blew out again. In retrospect, I was surprised that it held up as long as it did.
    Probably stripped... they corroded in place and it was so common Ford has a repair kit for it. When my truck went down the road to the new buyer it had 150k miles on the original plugs. I wasn't going to change them!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123