Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How strong is JB Weld?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

How strong is JB Weld?

I was wondering if I drilled and tapped into JB Weld, how strong would it be? Stronger than lead maybe, but not as strong as brass?
    I want to attach some lights to a vaulted stone ceiling. I don’t want to use an impact hammer to drill a hole, in fear of loosening the stones that are only held in place by the effect of the pressure in an arch. I was wondering if JB Weld might be the answer.

Boolit Master

I used JB in some aluminum scope rings; had been buggered up by previous owner. Filled the screw holes, D & T, good to go. Also used it to repair an aluminum mold (my fault) which I still use. The stuff is quite tuff and heat resistant.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

"I don’t want to use an impact hammer to drill a hole, in fear of loosening the stones that are only held in place by the effect of the pressure in an arch. " GL

Why not a drill with a masonry bit, you get the rotation less the vibration of the hammer drill. another consideration, how warm will the lights make the installation. I believe heat will weaken epoxy.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Masonry bits won’t put a dent in these stones unless the drill uses a hammer function.

Would the impact of a .22 or .25 cal. powder actuated hammer weaken the structure?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Make a glue in thread insert from aluminum or steel if you need 1/4" threads use 1/2" use larger stock drill and tap holes in it and glue it in

I think JB will work very well for you if you clean all surfaces well and let it set up for a day or two before subjecting it to heat. I've got a favorite sauce pan that I use almost every morning to boil things in. The handle was electrically welded to the pot body which is stainless steel. It has a lifetime warranty but I needed the pot, so I used JB to reattach the handle. So far, 5 years of getting hot every morning.

DG

My daughter recently hung outdoor lights on a stucco wall. She used a hot glue gun to glue command strips, which held the lights.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Package says 5000 psi tensile and 500 degrees F. Your loads will be in shear, and they don't say anything about that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Use a diamond drill (bit)... Takes a lot of 'push' to drill but far superior to common masonry (carbide) drills.

Just sticking it on the outside of the stone? Ain't gonna hold much.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

A I agree with JRLesan.

B I also agree with Country Gent, find, build, buy thread inserts. Drill holes big enough to accommodate them. Secure in place with JB weld.

C I have been doing some experimenting with materials like 3M's VHB tapes.
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/

I have hung some fairly heavy things with this stuff.

I don't know what kind of lights your talking about, or how heavy they are. I also on a whim bought a box of "Alien tape" which is a clear plastic, bit over an eighth of an inch thick, an inch wide. Comes in 3 big rolls, As you peel it off the roll you expose the bottom sticky side. Top has a plastic sheet over it which can be removed once you have it fixed where you want.

Much like the VHB tape only clear, this stuff is pretty conformable, flexible. So it would handle sticking to stone that is not perfectly smooth/flat.

I have two power strips which are in tight quarters. The first one I put roughly 2 1" squares of alien tape on the back of the power strip. Pressed them into it well so they were well secured. Then peeled the plastic and stuck it onto the wall. This strip has at least 4 or 5 things plugged into it some with heavy cords. And it it is still secure on the wall.

The second was next to my bedside table which is a little 3 drawer free standing unit. Power strip got attached to the left rear corner where there was a 1.5" vertical support. I was concerned about this one staying so I used a single 5" strip in the middle and stuck it into place. And there it remains. Cords that plug into it got organized tied neatly with small zip ties to avoid clutter.

So far I have been very impressed with the Alien Tape. Its not cheap, but it does work.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083C5WXWV...2-587d01f975e8
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Curious how you’ll power these lights, surface mounted power?

Not sure how long the room is, but have you seen the led lights that hang from a pair of cables stretched the length of the room? While they typically have a few braces into the ceiling, that may not be necessary in your application.

Moderator Emeritus

I would use a glue that's more of an adhesive, than JB weld.
    Like,
    Construction adhesive made for masonry (PL500)
    OR
    Gorilla glue(polyurethane glue) might work? and is cheap.
    OR, if you like to spend money...
    maybe one of the specialized glues made by 3M...there are hundreds of flavors, you can google the one that best suits your application, or talk to a Factory Rep.

FYI,
    Just last week, I prepared a wooden frame to mount a new 200 Amp power distribution center in my 100+ yr old cellar, I made a couple screw connections to the floor Joyce, but the rest of the wood frame was glued to a stone foundation wall, I used construction adhesive, mostly, because the surface is very uneven, and I wasn't going to spend all day with wooden wedges or such, so I just used the glue to "fill" what ever gap there was, as well as adhering the frame to the wall. Heads UP, the thick areas took a week to cure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Steel bed is WAY stronger than JB Weld:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod1048.aspx

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

My concern isnt the rocks itself the porous surface will provide a good bind surface. The thing that will cause failure is the natural "Sweating" in the masonry with heat changes this will get under the bond and cause failure.

Moderator Emeritus

OP is in France, not all solutions may be easy to get. I would use JP weld to hand a small bolt and let it set up for 24 hours. Then take a hammer to it and see how it stays.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    loctite pl fast grab is some pretty tough stuff with super strength and holding capacity

If the stones aren't something real hard like granite, I've had good luck using what I call 'blue screws'.

They're made to be run into stone or bricks as anchors.
    The proper bits are usually sold right next to them.

I've set a bunch of them into bricks with a plain battery operated drill.
    Going into the stone, you will probably use up one bit per hole, but they're cheap.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If you can get a hole big enough, lead anchors would probably hold better than any glue. I'm surprised nobody on this forum hasn't suggested that already.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast