MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR 15, 12.5" (Foot Long) Build Pics!

Boolit Master

AR 15, 12.5" (Foot Long) Build Pics!

Hi,
    Thought I would put up some build pics of my on going 12.5 Build!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    more...
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Installed Gas Tube, Barrel Nut, and Rail.

Rail matched up to receiver very nice!

Waiting on Diffuser...

Boolit Buddy
    Is it the 5.56 cal.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Yes, sorry!

Please narrate your pics; very interesting work that you are doing.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    That seems like a lot of unnecessary work, but more power to you.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I was on another Forum talking to another Builder and he brought up a point...

That I might want to leave a small gap between the rail and the receiver for stress factors...

Such as heat expansion, slings, installed lights, ect.

After some more research, decided that might be a good thing and went back and created a small gap.

Should be good now.

Just something one might think about, that I didn't!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Still waiting on my enhanced Bolt Stop, and decided to make a Slave Pin for the Disco and trigger install.

Makes the install super easy and easy enough to make.

Made this from a junk drill bit at .154 and works great.

(click on pic to enlarge and rotate)

Boolit Master

Why pin the gas block? I have never had a block come loose with the set screws tightened.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Why pin the gas block? I have never had a block come loose with the set screws tightened.
    Hi,
    I agree, but I think a pin is foolproof and have the means, so why not?

Boolit Master
    Hi,

I had a little problem with my Ambi Mag Release install this morning.

The Mags were hard to slip in, actually the Magpuls would be hard to go in and the metal mags would hardly go in at all and of course would not drop free.

After scratching my head and going down a couple of wrong rabbit holes...

Figured out it was the trigger guard end, protruding into the Lower Magwell just a bit to far.

Have the same Magpul Trigger Guard on my Spikes Tactical Lower and no problem but...

Pulled the TG and a little filing and sanding and everything ran smooth as silk with both Mags.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Installed the Pivot Pin and thought I would show a tool I picked up to make the install very easy...

Compared without it, which is an exercise in frrustration and detents circling Pluto!

The tool is a rod with a hole and the hole is lined up, spring and detent installed and pushed in with a punch and the the rod turned which captures everything under tension.

Then the Pivot Pin goes in behind it and pushes the Install Pin out and the Pivot Pin is captured and installed.

Boolit Buddy
    Got one of those and the slave pin too, their great. You do excellent work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Got one of those and the slave pin too, their great. You do excellent work.
    Hi,
    Thanks!

Thought I would show what I use to do a Bolt Catch Install.

The slave pin is made out of 3/32" welding rod.

Don't know, but a piece of coat hanger, would probably work also.

The roll pin punches come together, one is a starter punch and the other is a roll pin punch to finish setting the roll pin.

The bent welding rod is used like slave pin, works great!

Click pic to enlarge!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well my used DD Fixed sights came in and glad I went that way.

The Sellers Rail must of been off somewhat as the Windage was set way to the side.

See how good I do when I sight in?

So far happy and will add a few more things along but finished for now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei775RZ8LFE

Why are you drilling/tapping the lower receiver for plug screws where the safety and takedown detents go? Pics s1-2, ss1-2.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Why are you drilling/tapping the lower receiver for plug screws where the safety and takedown detents go? Pics s1-2, ss1-2.

Hi,
    There is no drilling, I just took a drill bit the size of the hole to make sure there was no burrs in the hole...

Then tapped for a set screw and cut the spring and used a SS ball in place of the detent.

It is so you do not have to worry about things when you remove the grip.

Also gives a "snappier" type function to the safety lever!

I see a lot of these in .223 but wouldn't 300 Blackout be a better cartridge with the short barrel?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I see a lot of these in .223 but wouldn't 300 Blackout be a better cartridge with the short barrel?
    Hi,
    Depends on if you think a cartridge close to a Win. 30-30, is better than the 223/5.56?

I would rather have the 5.56 an actual great CQB round, light, accurate, cheap, and readily available?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast