MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Tackle box find

Boolit Master

Tackle box find

Hello all!
    I purchased a used tackle box full of fishing goodies. In a plastic bag there are several pieces of a metal which are about 1/8" channel a few inches long. It bends and twist very easily. I think it is tin but don't know for sure. It puzzles me why it would be in a tackle box. Any ideas from those who have more experience than I as to whether it is tin? I'm also curious as to why it might be in a tackle box?
    Thanks for your help,
    Rick

I'm not sure of the exact application-
    They're strips you wrap around a fishing line and they act like a in-line sinker.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    It sounds like lead came for making stained glass windows. Lots of photos if you google it.

Boolit Master

After looking at the pictures as suggested it probably is for stained glass and also some was twisted which was probably used s mentioned above. It may be pure lead but seems softer and bends easier. Is tin available in the same channel configuration? If so, I have a new small stash of tin!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    A strip of tin and a strip of lead with the same dimensions will show you that tin is stiffer and will crackle as you bend it. Lead just quietly bends. You probably have just lead.

I'm going to say he was using them as drift or "walking" weights.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'm not sure of the exact application-
    They're strips you wrap around a fishing line and they act like a in-line sinker.
    Here's your answer hands down. I still got some.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

The lead came should be 99% pure and is made to bend around curved pieces of glass. If it is a single channel it is made for the outside of a project. If they are in long strips, you should try and find someone who works with it. A 45# case (6 foot lengths) sells for over $260.00, from a stained glass shop.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Like stated that it is lead from the stain glass. And what it was used for . I would use it like pure lead or use it for fishing.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Agreed. Lead came. Tin is much harder than lead.

Boolit Master
    perfect for worm fishing.....starting at rod tip outwards you have line with sinker wrapped around it loosely so line can still run (why its called a running rig) then small swivel,then trace about a yard long(oh I love being on forum where dont have to use metric) then small hook with your bait. the beauty of running rig is the fish can pick up bait and move off with line coming off reel as your tension is set really light,give fish couple of seconds or more to swallow then grab rod and up tension/drag and set hook...the other nice thing about running vs sinker hard wired/tied directly to trace,if sinker gets fouled the fish isnt tied to it,the worst case,you break main line and fish swims away with yard or nylon and a swivel....they get rid of hooks in mouth reasonably easy,deep gut or throat hooking is fatal.