Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 Winchester: Can IMR 4198 be used for a 100gn projectile?

243 Winchester: Can IMR 4198 be used for a 100gn projectile?

I'm planning on loading for a buddy with a Remington short action rifle in 243 Winchester. He's looking to load a 100gn J-Word projectile. Unfortunately, the only rifle powder I've managed to scrounge that will still work with my AR is IMR 4198, the eggplant purple stuff.

From my looking through a couple of reloading manuals, it seems that Varget is the recommended powder for the application. I've only seen a single load for a 84gn cast projectile with a starting weight of 16gn of IMR 4198, with a max of 22gn.

Considering that 4198 seems to be a powder that takes up more volume than most, it may likely be unsuitable for this role.

Do you have any loads that would work with this combination of powder and projectile? Or, should I just hunt down some Varget and be done with it?

If you can't find the one you want, a buddy used to use a what ended up being a full case of IMR 4831.
    It fills the case and ends up being a compressed charge, but it was all he'd ever use in his .243.
    Very accurate, and rather low pressure with 90-100 gr. Sierras or Nosler partitions.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

From an older IMR Handloader's Guide (1/97) Note Pressure unit is CUP not PSI

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	302150

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    From an older IMR Handloader's Guide (1/97) Note Pressure unit is CUP not PSI

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	302150
    Thank you very much! Are these starting loads or Mid-Range?
    I'll be sure to cross reference any other media that I can find.

I've also found a load for 4198 in the Hodgon Website!
    Starting 32.8gn
    Max 35.7gn
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 07-15-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Boolit Master

That data looks like maximum loads. Decrease by 10% and work up looking for accuracy amd pressure. IMR4198 is on the fast side for the .243 winchester, so you won't get near 100% case fill. It also wont give you max velocity, but should be a usable velocity and likely accurate as well. Looks like you will be 200-250 short of the velocities of the slower powders.

Boolit Master

The pressure shown indicates those are maximum loads.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

[QUOTE=VariableRecall;5430617]Thank you very much! Are these starting loads or Mid-Range?
    /QUOTE]

It's listed as powder, max. charge wt., speed in fps, chamber pressure.

If the barrel is on the long-ish side, and not a carbine length,
    you'll get your speed up at lower pressure with the slower powders closer to the bottom of the chart.

Not always, but quite often the best accuracy is at 85-90% of the max. charge weight.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    “I've also found a load for 4198 in the Hodgon Website!
    Starting 32.8gn
    Max 35.7gn”

That max sounds like too much. Thats a fast powder with a stubborn bullet.

Boolit Master

Starting 32.8gn
    Max 35.7gn[/QUOTE]

Thise are the data (charge weights) posted for IMR4895 on the Hodgson Website. Do not use that data( those numbers with imr4198) I do not see IMR 4198 listed with 243 winchester anywhere or with any bullet related to the 243 winchester on the Hodgdon reloading website.

That starting charge is 1.8 grains over max with the other data. HUGE RED FLAGS!!!!! right there.

Anytime data does not agree relatively closely work up from the lighter data slowly, checking for velocities that are standard for similar factory ammunition or book velocities with similar barrel lengths.

I don't want you to blow up your friend or his gun by ignoring inconsistent data.

IMR Load data from 1999 is available.

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Thank you very much! Are these starting loads or Mid-Range?
    I'll be sure to cross reference any other media that I can find.

Starting 32.8gn
    Max 35.7gn
    These are MAXIMUM loads. I have the same data in an old 1999 IMR manual. IMR lists all powders, some are not a great choice. To slow or to fast burn rate.

With IMR 4198, stay away from maximum. Reduce data 10% work up, stop when accuracy is ok.

I worked up a IMR 4198- 26.0 grs,* load for 6.5 Creedmoor. Very accurate with 140 gr Match Burner bullets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CREEDMOOR 6.5.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 07-16-2022 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Corrected powder charge * for Creedmoor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Starting 32.8gn
    Max 35.7gn
    Where on the Hodgdon website? I was just looking at their reloading data site and they do not list any loads for any bullets in the .243 using 4198.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Where on the Hodgdon website? I was just looking at their reloading data site and they do not list any loads for any bullets in the .243 using 4198.
    I didn't find it. Lee may have copied the IMR data. Steves pages as it copied as IMR-4198 From 30.0 grains to 31.0 grains for 100 gr bullets. MAXIMUM.

The IMR pamphlet recommends reducing the listed load by ten percent to start.
    I notice that the 8x57mm loads are "minus P" at best though.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Considering the risks of very disparate information regarding 4198 for reloading, I may just try and hunt down some Varget and leave it at that. I'll probably make a batch of 5 or so with 4198 at 27gn, and use proper case obturation as a method of checking if I was in the right direction.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 07-19-2022 at 07:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Texas by God;5430892]The IMR pamphlet recommends reducing the listed load by ten percent to start.
    I notice that the 8x57mm loads are "minus P" at best though.....

That's because SAAMI 8x57 max pressure is 35,000psi because of chance of .323 bullet being fired in old .318 bores. Overseas the C.I.P max pressure is 56,560psi. US factory loads are 170gr at about 2250fps to confirm to SAAMI.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    IMR 4320 has always been my powder for 100 grain jacketed bullets in .243 . It of course is now discontinued but if you look at a burn chart and try the powders that are on either side of it you will not go wrong. H4350 would be my second choice of the powders I already have and would work very well .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Either of the 4350's make a fine 243 powder for the 100 grain bullets. 4198 is also a fine powder, administered as the IMR data suggest, it just won't produce top velocities. Rumor has it that Remington uses 4198 as their powder of choice for their reduced recoil loads. Still kills stuff!
    Rick

In my short career of firing CAST bullets from the .243, 4198 was the go-to powder. Only if there were no other option would I use it with jacketed. Someone once wrote that "if you can't make 4350 work in the .243, there's something seriously wrong with your rifle." My own best bench load for a Sierra 85 grain SP in a Rem 700 BDL was a mild 39.8 grains. That was 25 years ago, Today I'd try certainly Varget because I have some. I would save my 4198 for uses where it's better suited.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If you can't find the one you want, a buddy used to use a what ended up being a full case of IMR 4831.
    It fills the case and ends up being a compressed charge, but it was all he'd ever use in his .243.
    Very accurate, and rather low pressure with 90-100 gr. Sierras or Nosler partitions.
    My favorite 243 powder. I have loads in Both 90 grain and 70 grain Nosler ballistic tips that are a hair over max book loads. Both loads will print a 3 shot group all in one hole at a 100 looking like I missed the target the other two times. They also shoot .3” at 200 yards with the same load.

Boolit Master
    I use Accurate 3100, discontinued but a 4831 kind of powder. 4350 is another powder that works well in the .243 with 85-100 grain jacketed bullets. 4198 is too fast for the .243 Win for most bullets unless looking for mild loads with cast boolits. Varget is good in the 308 and 223 but the .243 gets better results with slower powders, the various 4350's and 4831 kind of powders are all very accurate and provide the highest velocities with the 85 grain and up jacketed bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast