RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
PBcastco Lee Precision

Thread: 41 Colt Heeled Projectiles

Boolit Mold

41 Colt Heeled Projectiles

I don't know if this is the correct spot for this message, but here goes, am looking for a mould for casting for my 41 Colt Thunderer, needs a heeled projectile at .401" at the front with the heel being around .386", if anyone has such a mould they want to sell please let me know,thank you, david a.(Australia)

Hello Aussie Hunter,

Old West Bullet Molds list a 200 gr, with a heel.
    https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop...get-type-mould
    Currently out of stock. Not sure if they ship outside U.S.A.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master

More properly belongs in the "Swapping and Selling" section. Would probable get more views there.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Follow AntiqueSledMan's suggestion. I use Old West's heeled bullet molds. shell holder and crimp die for loading heeled bullets in 38 Colt Short and Long - they work slick.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate bullet molds lists two heel based bullet molds for the 41 Colt. One is listed as for the Uberti/Cimarron "Lightning" in 41 Colt and the other for the original Colt Thunderer. The one for the Uberti casts at .403 and the one for the Thunderer casts .406 according to the catalog. Though, Accurate can probably make them in any size. I am currently using the one for the Colt Thunderer with my Uberti, just sizing them down to .402. I cast them out of pure lead. They come out about .406. I use an old style Lee sizing die kit at .402, it was custom made by Lee. I bought the mold with the intentions of converting a 38-40 Uberti 1873 to 41 Colt. You sure you want a .401 bullet in an original Thunderer? I thought most of them needed at least a .406 diameter heel based bullet. Because the bores are not .401, but somewhere between .406-.408. An option would be to put in an order with MP molds for one of their 200 gr hollow based double cavity molds. I have one of them and it casts a wonderful bullet for the .41 Colt, and two at a time! MP's hollow based system works to perfection. I cast my hollow based bullets in 1/30 alloy and get very good obturation with as little as 3.0 gr Bullseye in full length Starline cases. I am still working to see which bullet shoots the best out of the Uberti. Still want an 1873 clone in .41 Colt.
    Bill

Heeled bullets and blackpowder work good. Heeled bullets and smokeless powder need a way to crimp the case or at least provide good neck tension so as to provide best ignition with smokeless powder, even bullseye.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Heeled bullets and blackpowder work good. Heeled bullets and smokeless powder need a way to crimp the case or at least provide good neck tension so as to provide best ignition with smokeless powder, even bullseye.
    Bernie at Old West modifies a Lee die to crimp a heeled boolit. I have one and it works well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!