Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Recommend Tripod for Chronograph

Recommend Tripod for Chronograph

What tripod would you recommend for a Competition Electronics ProChrono chronograph with mounting hole size thread 1/4-20? Specification weight is only 2.1 lbs. I’m looking for something under $50.

Hope you folks can help.

My fold up table that I used broke and I’m thinking of getting an easier to handle and set up tripod.

Can't recommend one but make sure to either get a heavy one or weigh down the legs. Mine blew over on a moderately windy day.

I find mine at resale shops.

I have found the ones with plastic tripod heads to be an exercise in frustration though. The screws to tighten things down usually don't, and it doesn't result in a very stable assembled product.

A couple weeks ago I found a metal JC Penneys brand camera tripod from the 1960-70's at Goodwill for $4. It will be my new chronograph tripod. I had been using one of my good camera tripods, but I would much rather tote a $4 tripod to the field to shoot over than a $200 one.

If you don't have a resale shop close by - fleabay is always an easy way to find one. As I mentioned before, I would avoid anything made with a plastic tripod head. I have tried quite a few of them from resale shops, and most end up in the trash can.

Sig's advice above about hanging a weight is sound. My chronograph has blown over more than once out in the cow pasture....

Boolit Master

Often see photography tripods at thrift stores. Many already have a 1/4-20 receptor, if not, not hard to do.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Just about any tripod will work. you will need a weight for the really light ones if you shoot in the wind.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Garage sales, Goodwill & resale shops are the way to go for chrono tripods!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Agree with the others, look out on the secondary market. I ended up with a studio quality tripod big enough to to support a full sized TV video camera. Way overkill for the chrono, but it will solidly extend up to at least 5 ft so I don’t have to do any weird contortions to shoot across the screens. It is by far way better than my standard flimsy camera tripod I started out with.

They are out there, sometimes the hunt is half the fun…..

Thank you all, the search is on…my wife really likes Thirft stores (she is very frugal, thank the Lord!) and we’re going out this afternoon to look for one!

Boolit Buddy
    I use the amazon basics 60'' tripod, $35. If you don't like it, send it back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B6E0E492-E802-41CF-AAAF-C1C35AB9DD8E.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	302149
    I rebuilt a flood light stand that was being thrown away from where I worked into a chronograph stand. I added scrap steel bars in the 3 legs to weigh it down. Works good, it is heavy. Problem with most camera tripods is that they are made light and portable which makes them easy to be blown over when you put ‘sails’ on top.

Boolit Master
    I got a heavy duty camera tripod at Best Buy for $40. Seems most of the camera people want light weight ones to carry around as they go for more money. I found the heaviest one they had and it was the cheapest. It also has a hook on the center post to hang a weight to keep it from blowing over (or you could drive a tent stake in the ground and tie it down. It stood up to 20mph winds at the range.

If you want really sturdy look for surveyor tripods (I wish I had not sold the one I had). You will have to make an adaptor but it isn't hard, just a piece of wood with a 1/4" bolt to screw into the chrono.

Boolit Master

I dabble in outdoor and wildlife photography so, for years, my chrono tripods have been hand-me-downs from my camera work. Whenever I've upgraded my camera gear, the 'old' tripod has gone to the chrono. The K&F I'm currently using would probably serve to mount a light MG.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I'm using a Bogen / Manfrotto from the bay.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

It's funny, back when I was playing with 35mm cameras, tripods cost a fortune, now you can pick up good ones for next to nothing at yard sales.
    You don't see a lot of people mounting their phones to tripods, just "selfie" sticks.

I have a tripod to mount a M53 machinegun, never used it.
    Was a helluva deal at the time from Sportsman's Guide for $75.00
    I doubt if a hurricane would blow it over, well maybe that's pushing it a bit.
    No, I don't have the M53, unfortunately.

Boolit Master
    After looking for an old camera tripod for a spell, I went ahead and built mine out of scrap wood I had in my shop and epoxied a quarter inch bolt thread side up in the top. I made sure that I had it the right height to match up with my shooting table with a pistol rest on it ... no need to adjust the height.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tripod.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	302284
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with the "get it used" crowd, I've found most of mine for around $5 at goodwill, everything I've found had the 1/4-20 threads, one thing I've learned is to look for the ones that have metal clamps/closures on the legs, a lot of them are plastic and they tend to break sooner than later.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...