RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Got me a Bersa Thunder .22

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Got me a Bersa Thunder .22

Went to the fun store today and found this little gem under the glass, Bersa Thunder .22. I already have the .380 version and like it very much. I offered the owner some gun equity taking up space in the safe and so got this one for just an extra $20.00 out the door.

The light was fading when I got home but I just had to try it out. Grabbed a couple partial boxes of shells from the garage and headed to the back field. First up, CCI Blazers. Every round went bang and fed and ejected so that's a good sign. Tried some Norma Tac-22's which are accurate but don't cycle most autos. They had really good accuracy but about 50% stovepipes, no surprise there. Just for laughs I tried some Thunderbolts. Amazingly, this pistol ate 'em right up with good accuracy! I think I'm going to really like this gun.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

They are nice little guns - my next door neighbor has one, likes it (and occasionally lets me shoot it when we go to my gun club range).

I feel I have to tell you, though - w/o pics, it didn't happen...
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thanks, I have to wait until I get to my desktop to post a pic. Have put around 120 rounds through it so far. The biggest annoyance is that with good HV ammo it is about 1-2" low at 7 yards. I contacted the Bersa warranty place in Indiana and the guy told me that the pistol is supposed to be dead on at 7 yards with any 40 grain ammo rated at 1260 fps or more. He said I could send it in and they would fire it from a ransom rest to verify. While cleaning it, I noticed the front sight is bent a little to the left, so I think I'll send it in to have that corrected and test fire.

Otherwise I really like this little pistol. If it is 100% reliable and accurate with Aguila Interceptors like all my other .22 pistols I'll be happy. Those clock an actual 1000 fps out of my little Ruger LCP II across my chrono and are very clean.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    While I like Aguila 22 ammo, this is the first time I have heard someone say that is shoots "clean".

Ida know, Super Extras and Interceptors are cleaner than most center fires in my guns.

Update: my Thunder 22 was shooting low with all the ammo I tried in it, and the elevation is not adjustable. Sent it to the warranty place and they ended up replacing it with a brand new pistol. Tried it out yesterday with Aguila and Browning ammo and it shoots great! Much better than the Glock 44 I used to have.

Boolit Master
    Mine is very susceptible to fouling. First couple mags always shoot fine, then the jamming starts - right about the time the box of 50 is done.

Boolit Mold
    I always wanted a small 22 auto. My daughter got a Thunder in 380 but it doesn't quite feel right to me in my hand, so I settled for a Walther Ppk/s 22... it eats everything i have tried in it so far.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to poo-poo those little .22's but I have come to the conclusion any gun is better than no gun. It would not be my first choice but for many folks who do not reload, .22's offer cheap practice. Getting most shots on a bad guy beats missing with most shots.

I have been a "snob" for too many years. Opinions of a "gun nut" who shoots a lot may not be the best for option for everyone.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I have one also (and both the Bersa's). Great little guns, easy, comfortable. Yea, my Thunder22 doesn't cycle some generic 22LR fodder, but loves Thunderbolt.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by pa.frank View Post
    I always wanted a small 22 auto. My daughter got a Thunder in 380 but it doesn't quite feel right to me in my hand, so I settled for a Walther Ppk/s 22... it eats everything i have tried in it so far.
    Try a Ruger LCP II .22, you'll be impressed!

Gave the Thunder and Ruger LCP II .22's some exercise today. Both are 100% reliable with ammo strong enough to cycle the slide, which is most HV ammo. Strangely the LCP will eat Norma Tac .22's about 90% of the time and they are pretty accurate. I don't think I'll buy anymore though, Aguila Super Extra is way better for less money. Heck, the most recent box of Thunderbolts I tried was really good.