RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best modern reloading manual?

Boolit Buddy

Best modern reloading manual?

Currently using Lyman’s. Manual no problems with it but I know it doesn’t list some of the newer powders and little things like that. I also was using hornandys 10th edition on kindle but that one the electronics screwed up and Amazon cust service was unable to fix it. The new 11th doesnt work at all yet and not available locally. If I have to order a newer one..

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don’t believe there is a best! It all depends on what you want to do! For cast, all the Lyman cast boolet handbooks contain useful information! As for product specific, that depends on what you load. If you only load sierra bullets then get a Sierra manual. If you only use Hodgen powder get a hodgen manual etc... For generic information you can’t beat Lyman. The Lee manual has some good general info also! Personally I get as many different manuals as I can!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Lee's Second Edition manual is a compilation of many powder companies in one book. Plus, a lot of interesting/educational articles within.

It is not all that costly if you search eBay.

Cheers,

Dave

It's more of a 'different' than which one is 'best'.

When developing a new load, I lay 4-5 of them out on the table turned to that cartridge,
    and peruse over them like a General does a battlefield sand map in the movies.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    The new Lyman is very good.

Boolit Master

I have always liked Lyman best. Number 44 was the first one I bought new. I have been getting the new ones as they come out. I supply the missing powders by downloading from the company.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I've got them all, although not all are the newest. Use the on-line ones also. I've got ancient ones also, and the ancient powder to go with them. These days, with component availability the way it is, you'd better have several different ones. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

The internet is the most modern one I have. Lots of sources to gather data from. Including the MFG/distributor, for even stuff that’s not in the books yet or has long since been eliminated from the pages of printed manuals.

As others have stated, not sure there is a best.

My reloading "manual" stretches over 5 feet in length. It is a collection of manuals dating back to the 30's plus three ring binders with notes on specific cartridges I load for.

Haven't blown myself up yet, so either I should never waste my money on lottery tickets because I burnt up all my luck on reloading or I'm doing something right in my reloading and things are actually starting to make sense.

Suspect lottery tickets are a waste.

I must have 20 manuals maybe more and use them all to find what I am looking for..One can't have enough..What I don't like is the lowering of pressures year after year in some manuals; it's all the lawyer junk we must put up with..My early Hornady manual is a good one for hunting loads and has served me well for 45 yrs, Ackley books for my 6 wildcats, Lyman for all my cast bullet rifles and handguns..Working up loads is a must, never start with max loads...

Boolit Grand Master

For the newest cartridges and powder the manufactures online sites are the most up to date. At best manuals take a year or two to start including the latest and greatest data.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I vote for Lyman, I find it to be very complete and have pretty much everything I need. Although I've bought more and find myself referring to the Lyman's the most.

Boolit Mold
    I have large selection of manuals. From recent releases to old. Like others have stated. Specific manuals for specific components. But the Lyman manuals cover cast bullets better than most others.

Like the news, never limit yourself to one source of information.
    If you find a of differences between sources, it is time to dig deeper.
    I always lean toward the conservative side, so far, I have all my fingers.

Boolit Master

Half a shelf 6 feet long of Loading manuals, I use the Lyman 95% of the time.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite "generic" manuals are the Lyman (48th, 49th, 50th), For J bullets I like to use the manuals published by the bullet manufacturer. I have found that some manuals' publishers are connected to specific component manufacturers and omit some competitor's powders, my Hornady manual doesn't list any Hodgdon powders I use. For my use, the Lee manual is the last place I look for load data and my Lyman 50th is usually first...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Lyman. Mostly use Hodgdon (Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester) powders because the load data on their website is easy to use.

Question should be best reloading manuals library.

Boolit Master
    I'm a Lyman fan.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Question should be best reloading manuals library.
    Yep. I mainly use a few; Lyman 50th, Lyman Cast bullet handbook #3 and #4, Hodgdon annual manual, Hornady, and Nosler. I have others but these I use first, the most....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast