WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: removal of tiny roll pin in DWA revolver cylinder

Boolit Master

removal of tiny roll pin in DWA revolver cylinder

I have a tiny roll pin (look closely at the bottom of the hole in the center of the cylinder) that I need to remove from a DWA .22 because it no longer retains the piece in the back of the cylinder that centers the ejector rod. I've tried epoxying a ground down finishing nail in to pull it out three times but no luck. The only thing I have to grip it with is pointed forceps but they just don't have enough gripping power to hold it. It is bottomed out in the hole. Is my only alternative to drill it out? It is in a blind hole, so can't be pushed out from the front.

Yesterday I went to a well stocked hardware store and got the smallest roll pin they had, but I'm afraid it's too large for the hole (if I can get this pin out). I need help with two things: getting this pin out and finding a tiny pin to replace it . Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DWA roll pin.jpg  
    Last edited by higgins; 07-15-2022 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added that it's in a blind hole

Banned
    Drill it to size for a tap , tap it and pull it with a screw , I'd advise not pulling on the tap itself , they tend to break very easy .

If that don't work it's pretty much just drill it out far enough to let you
    get it out with a dental pick or something similar

Drill the bugger!

Use a slightly smaller drill and go slow. The hollow pin will help center the drill. Once drilled, the remains of the pin will probably collapse or stick to the flutes of the drill.
    You don't need a hollow replacement pin, a bit of a drill shank will do. Roll pins are often used because they don't need reamed holes for a precise fit.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    Drill it out with a slightly under sized drill bit,,but be very careful as the extremely small dia drill bit can snag in the inside hole of the pin and snap off. Then you have the pin with drill bit 'center' really stuck.

If drilled out I would not attempt to do it freehand with a hand held drill. A drill press with the cylinder clamped securely in position, the drill bit chucked up only as long as needed and very slow feed, plenty of cutting fluid.

You'll likely get part way into it and the pin will come loose and get caught on the end of the drillbit and come back out of the hole.

Another possibile way is to make a chisel point tool to allow you to come in from the front of the cylinder through the center opening.
    An elbow shape to the tool with a proper spike point to the tool on the tip to both bite into the pin and then be able to hold that engagement while the tool is hammered on from the other end to drive the pin back out of the hole.

You can use the opening of the hole at the front of the cylinder as a fulcrum point to push the point of the chisel into the pin and hold it there initially.
    A pliers opened wide at the back end with padding to protect the outside cylinder surface can be used to further push the point into the pin and hold it.

Just a couple ideas.