RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Best entry level Dillon press

  1. #41
    Boolit Master

    sparky45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SE, KS
    Posts
    2,313
    I started with the XL650 for a progressive after years with the Lee equipment then acquired a Square Deal; mistake, SD is a dud. Since I've aged (76) my shooting has slowed down so I off loaded all progressive's and am now set up with a couple of RCBS RC's and a Redding T-7. Mainly loading for rifle now.

  2. #42
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,409
    Even as I’m slowing down with the years I still put a couple thousand rounds a month down range, sometimes more, so a progressive makes sense.

    The SDB I bought late in the last century serves, as I only load pistol rounds, and have small hands that can work in the relative tight spaces the four position shell plate lives in. The production rate suits me (retired with few demands on my time). I did buy an xl750 several weeks ago, but it’s still in pieces and I’m beginning to think it might stay that way.

  3. #43
    Moderator


    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    9,310
    I had 2 SDB's .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Both worked great and were a joy to use. I consider them to be one of the best designed machines in existence. They are also completely rebuildable for cheap, so even if you wear one out, it can be made right again for a few $

    Then a friend gave me a 550B, and as soon as I got it set up for the two pistol rounds I sold the SDB's, I just didn't need them anymore as the 550 B will do anything I could ever want from a Progressive Press. I load .223/5.56, .40 S&W and .45 ACP on it. I could do .308's and .30-06's but I don't shoot enough of them to warrant setting up the 550. All my other rifle rounds are loaded in 50-100 round batches on my Hand Press at the dinner table. I have several other Single Stage Presses, my tool just works better !!! Others think so as well.

    Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

  4. #44
    I purchased a used SDB (that I sent to Dillon to have them go over) and use it for a number of pistol calibers - 9mm, .38 Spcl, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Mag. I also load a few rifle rounds and load those on a Lee Classic Cast single stage press - .223, 6mm BR, 45-70. It's a combination that works well for me. 45-70 on a single stage goes pretty quickly as I usually don't need to trim the brass (and chamfer). Let us know what you decide!

    p.s. Dillon's customer service is top notch!

  5. #45
    Boolit Master 15meter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,907
    Quote Originally Posted by CZbob9 View Post
    Well currently trying to set it up. Do you guys usually use any stands or just mount it directly to the bench? Their instructions do not leave anything to be jealous of
    Did you ever get it set up?

    I don't use the riser stands, I have a steel plate mortised into the top of my bench, 5"x18"x1/2" with an identical steel plate on the bottom of the bench. I like a secure mounting system.

    It has been drilled and tapped to mount all the presses and casting equipment that needs to be mounted securely.

    5 MEC'S, three RCBS's, Lyman T-Mag, an old Pacific, Dillon 550B and SDB plus RCBS and Lyman Lubrisizers. It looks like swiss cheese but it is rock solid mounting of what ever I put up there. Only 2 presses that don't mount completely to the steel plate is a MEC 9000G in 12 gauge and a .410 Grabber. The 3 650's mount completely to the steel plate.

    I usually load sitting down, I have a bar stool height chair that adjust easily for height. It swivels, has a foot rest and a backrest. I can change my seating position depending of what press I have mounted, it helps reduce the fatigue.

    Hope you got your press up and running.
    Last edited by 15meter; 08-24-2022 at 06:52 PM.

  6. #46
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Did you ever get it set up?

    I don't use the riser stands, I have a steel plate mortised into the top of my bench, 5"x18"x1/2" with an identical steel plate on the bottom of the bench. I like a secure mounting system.

    It has been drilled and tapped to mount all the presses and casting equipment that needs to be mounted securely.

    5 MEC'S, three RCBS's, Lyman T-Mag, an old Pacific, Dillon 550B and SDB plus RCBS and Lyman Lubrisizers. It looks like swiss cheese but it is rock solid mounting of what ever I put up there. Only 2 presses that don't mount completely to the steel plate is a MEC 9000G in 12 gauge and a .410 Grabber. The 3 650's mount completely to the steel plate.

    I usually load sitting down, I have a bar stool height chair that adjust easily for height. It swivels, has a foot rest and a backrest. I can change my seating position depending of what press I have mounted, it helps reduce the fatigue.

    Hope you got your press up and running.
    I got it working good. It wasn't the easiest to setup I will say that much but I got it. I reloaded some 40s&w on it and seems to do pretty good so far. I started to prime on it but the press started sending multiple primers and I couldn't figure out what the issue was so for now I am hand priming in the recliner. I need to look into it

  7. #47
    Boolit Buddy super6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    S.C
    Posts
    373
    Buy direct from Dillon, You will get all the manuals and a caliber head with it.+ tools,+ options ect..ect..
    takeo Shimizu , The father of organic chemistry

  8. #48
    Boolit Master


    David2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Baytown Texas
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by CZbob9 View Post
    I got it working good. It wasn't the easiest to setup I will say that much but I got it. I reloaded some 40s&w on it and seems to do pretty good so far. I started to prime on it but the press started sending multiple primers and I couldn't figure out what the issue was so for now I am hand priming in the recliner. I need to look into it
    Is your bench really, REALLY solid? If the press is vibrating when operated that will cause numerous problems.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

  9. #49
    Boolit Master derek45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by CZbob9 View Post
    I got it working good. It wasn't the easiest to setup I will say that much but I got it. I reloaded some 40s&w on it and seems to do pretty good so far. I started to prime on it but the press started sending multiple primers and I couldn't figure out what the issue was so for now I am hand priming in the recliner. I need to look into it
    the 550 should prime reliably
    I would call DILLON tech support and get it squared away.
    .


    NRA LIFE Member

    USPSA/IPSC

  10. #50
    Do you have pawn shops around you? If so, talk to a few guys there. I got my 650 from a pawn shop for 450 with some extras. I agree with that other guys saying buy once, cry once when it comes to reloading equipment. The 650 is pretty dope.

  11. #51
    Boolit Man Big Wes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    80
    Try changing the tip on the primer tube that goes into the press with a new one, the old one might be worn out causing your problem with multiple primers.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"


  12. #52
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post
    Try changing the tip on the primer tube that goes into the press with a new one, the old one might be worn out causing your problem with multiple primers.
    This is most likely the problem. The press comes with spares. Change this before any other tinkering. BTW, I think they call them “magazine orifices.”

  13. #53
    Boolit Master 15meter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,907
    Quote Originally Posted by CZbob9 View Post
    I got it working good. It wasn't the easiest to setup I will say that much but I got it. I reloaded some 40s&w on it and seems to do pretty good so far. I started to prime on it but the press started sending multiple primers and I couldn't figure out what the issue was so for now I am hand priming in the recliner. I need to look into it
    My understanding this is a new press right?

    If so, the first thing I would check is if you have the right primer tube in the press. It sounds like you have the large tube not the small tube. I think that will do what you are describing.

  14. #54
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    JAX, FL
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    My understanding this is a new press right?

    If so, the first thing I would check is if you have the right primer tube in the press. It sounds like you have the large tube not the small tube. I think that will do what you are describing.
    ^^^this is a very good likelihood. It shouldn't be that hard to use the right primer tube but on more than one occasion I have had weird primer feeding problems and sure enough I was using the large tube with small primers. I took a blue magic marker and marked the top of my small primer tubes so that they match the blue on the small primer pick-up tubes.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check