WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ar15 .458 socom, cast boolit load info for 500grn NOE spire point NLG PC

I've done quite a bit of back and forth with Taco regarding the 458 Socom and 338 Spectre over the last few years.

For the NOE HTC459-500-SP (PC and sized .4595") @ 2.18" with CCI 350s
    Accurate 1680 - 23.0gr (10.5" barrel - 937 - 1003fps)
    IMR 4198 - 22.0gr (10.5" barrel: 968 - 1009fps)
    Accurate #9 - 15.5gr (10.5" barrel: 947 - 972 fps / 12.5" barrel - 977-999 fps / 16" barrel - 1045 fps)
    I posted extreme velocity swings on purpose, things fluctuate between 40 in the winter and 110 in the summer in the Southeast. It can be surprising to see for the first time going off someone else's data so I like to include it.

I had a 10.5" Tromix for a few years, sold it and got a 12.5" made by Paladin and haven't tried the old loads in the new barrel. All of these cycled unsuppressed yet both of these were pistol length gas systems and my 16" is a bolt gun. Your mileage may vary with the 16" carbine gas system. Granted I was able to have my adjustable block closed beyond 75% restricted and they still cycled, BHO started getting hit or miss around that setting.

#9 has become my favorite for subs, it burns cleaner and is audibly quieter for me when suppressed. I started trying it when I had issues with the NOE 600gr bullet leaving lead on the case mouth with IMR 4198 and Acc 1680 and it also took care of that issue.. Still don't have a definitive answer for that..

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, I shoot the NOE 380 grain, pc, over 33 grains of AA1680.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    FWIW, I shoot the NOE 380 grain, pc, over 33 grains of AA1680.
    This thread was about 500 gr. bullets, so I didn't mention the other loads I shoot in the SOCOM.

My standard shooting load that I shoot the most of is the NOE HTC459-354-FN. When cast and GC'd and PC coated it comes out at an even 360 grs. 30 grs. of AA1680 gives me right at 1,400 fps. and it makes a great load that is clean, functions well and doesn't wear out my brass.

I also like the bullet in my 45-70. Below you can see the bullet loaded in both. It also shoots great in the 45-70 so I go through a lot of these bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE 354 gr web.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	302701

Boolit Bub

I was parusing Tromix's site yesterday. They seem to only be selling the new Hexmags for use with .458 socom now. I snagged a couple and Ill try them out. I also just bought the second "taco" designed NOE HTC459-354-FN-BU5 mold as well as some othe things from Al at NOE! Awesome guy and a great help. I plan to buy some powder here from smoke. Ill keep yaull posted on how it all works out. Hoping that I may be able to find a decent combination thats reliable. Just for huntings sake , Im also going to try and find a " full length gas checked " FTX bullet load with accurate 1680 and IMR 4198.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk, that will teach you to keep your mouth shut!"
    - Earnest Hemmingway

" I'd rather be lucky than good, GET SOME!" Mr. Revolver" - Jerry Miculek

Boolit Man
    May have get one of the NOE HTC459-354-FN-BU5 molds. Leaning towards the the PB, powder coat version.
    Are you guys buying the brass or aluminum molds?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDRanch View Post
    May have get one of the NOE HTC459-354-FN-BU5 molds. Leaning towards the the PB, powder coat version.
    Are you guys buying the brass or aluminum molds?
    All my NOE moulds are Aluminum, but I have heard the brass ones are great also just never tried them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12