Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 311041 for 30-30

Boolit Bub

Lyman 311041 for 30-30

Can I use the Lyman 311041 for 30-30 loads or is it better for 308? I'm trying to find a good 30-30 mold.

Boolit Master

It's a great bullet for .30-30. In fact I think it was designed for the .30-30, it's a great bullet for just about any .30cal cartridge.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Super Moderator

The 311041 a fantastic boolit for the good ol' 30-30. I use it with Hodgdon LVR powder to duplicate factory velocities with excellent accuracy. Other powders work well too, such as IMR3031 and IMR 4227. LVR is my hands down favorite though.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The 311041 a fantastic boolit for the good ol' 30-30. I use it with Hodgdon LVR powder to duplicate factory velocities with excellent accuracy. Other powders work well too, such as IMR3031 and IMR 4227. LVR is my hands down favorite though.
    How bout that? I was looking for something today and found it in its box. I do not remember getting it or even when. From the looks of it and weight I assumed it was for a 308 that I had a long time ago. I was going to see if someone would trade it for a 30-30 mold but if you guys say its good I'm going to head down and mold some tonight! What hardness do you guys shoot for with this?

Boolit Grand Master

Can't do much better than the 311-41 for the 30-30. Yes, it was designed for the 30-30. I also use it over LeveRevolution powder for and excellent 30-30 load in both my M94s, carbine and rifle.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Somewhere along the line I picked up a group-buy plain-base version of the 311041 that I cast of half WW's/half soft lead and then powder coat. I plan for it to be this Fall's hunting noolit.

I was experimenting with it in the 7.62x54R using AA 5744 and the .30-30 is next. Having a smaller internal volume, 5744 in the .30-30 will probably be more efficient and afford slightly better load density. No velocity numbers yet but it has shown much promise in both when sized .311.

Boolit Grand Master

For hunting 50/50 ww/lead or 20/1 lead/tin are good mixes for a boolit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

My first (and only) cast bullets for rifle were for a Win 94' about 20 years ago. Fantastic results to say the least and I see no reason to look for something better than the #31041.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Works well in both my 308's and 30/30's

For the silhouette game , the 311041 cast from COWW/ 2% tin then quenched from mold work in my 94 . That boolit feeds really good through the 94's action also . Still have to work on a hunting load for it yet .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    For hunting 50/50 ww/lead or 20/1 lead/tin are good mixes for a boolit.
    What Wayne says for alloy ... perfect ! And simply air cool them , you want a softish boolit that deforms and mushrooms . Hardening might make them brittle and shatter or the nose break .
    The 311041 was designed for the 30-30 ... perfect again !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The design of the 311041 is excellent for the 30-30. My problem with the Lyman mold was the undersized bullet it cast. If the mold throws a .310 you may be OK with .311 better. My mold threw a .309, in the Winchester 94, this MAY work, in most Marlin's it is usually too small for really good accuracy. Bullet fit is key.

A variation on the 311041 theme is the Ranch Dog 165 fp. NOE makes a mold with conventional lube grooves. I have a 5 cavity and the boolits from it shoot well in .30-30. .30-06, and .308. Very versatile boolit.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy

I am planning to use this bullet in my 99 .300 Savage.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

I have a factory 311 041 SC HP, shoots real good in a30/30
    Big Bore = 45+