Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Another Scam

Boolit Master

Another Scam

The phone rang this afternoon, my wife answered. Pause, she turns to me and said have you entered the Publishing Clearing House sweep stakes contest? Me:no. Well this guy says you have won 2 million dollars and 5 thousand a month for life. I said I am not holding my breath. I am still waiting for them to show up!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Vendor Sponsor

2 million AND $5,000/month for life? Oh man you REALLY hit the big one LOL NOT

This might belong in the humor board..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Can I have a loan
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    the checks in the mail

You can afford primers now.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Scam calls. It depends on my mood at the moment when I receive one as to how I handle them. Sometimes I'm just a 'no thank you' and hang up when they start, other times I'll toy with them a bit.

The really sad thing is, apparently they have enough victims to keep on working these scams. It's unreal the amount of money these people have actually stolen from some poor souls out there.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    The phone rang this afternoon, my wife answered. Pause, she turns to me and said have you entered the Publishing Clearing House sweep stakes contest? Me:no. Well this guy says you have won 2 million dollars and 5 thousand a month for life. I said I am not holding my breath. I am still waiting for them to show up!
    Ole Jack
    A close friend's wife received both an eMail and a 'phone call "from PCH" telling her she won (only) ten thousand dollars! However, she was automatically put into a 2nd drawing for one hundred thousand dollars, and needed provide (ugh!) some info to "make the IRS happy" so they may both process/send her $10K cheque and proceed with the second raffle enter.
    "Thank you, Jesus!" hubby rang me and it took me at least five minutes to get it into his head that it was a 100% pure scam to get financial info from them so they can readily be stolen from! Fortunately -- he listened and -- as per my suggestions -- deleted all from sender, stat, and totally shut down computer. Open nothing; and, by all means do not respond to emails, 'phone calls, or even smoke signals seen in his back yard . (That was about six months back -- and his wife STILL has not forgiven me!)
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

I got a call, you won blah blah blah. We need a $600 processing fee to pay it out. "all I have is cash... no checking account so can't mail it to you". Dude says "I can send a runner to get it".

I called the deputy who was living in town at the time and had him wait just out of sight. he runner actually showed up and got busted. He had a bunch of cash and checks in his car so they had been working this area hard. And a list of names and addresses and dollar amounts so people got their money back.

PCH will notify you by mail, never by phone or email, they do not require any processing fees and taxes are on you so they do not collect that info.

I had a call the other day, local on my wife's phone so I answered. Electronic asking for information to improve Medicare service. We don't have Medicare, and when the first thing it asked was DOB, I hung up. Just don't give out your info at all unless YOU placed the call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I get the "you have won a cruise" calls all of the time. I string them along until it wears thin, then I say, "The prison guard is coming, I will get tossed into solitary if they find the phone..." and hang up.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

I use the "should I answer" app. Decline all unknown numbers, if they don't leave a voicemail, then block that number and report is as, spam, unsolicited. Of course about half of the voicemails are spam also.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I have noticed in the last few months that a lot of the unsolicited calls are leaving blank voice mails. I just wonder if there is a way that the callers can get verification that the voice mail was checked.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    sometimes I tell them we are in the middle of a shark attack and can't talk much now, maybe they can help by calling quint to come and kill the shark, and then tell them that the boats taking on water and we dont have much longer, help, help

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I had a call the other day, local on my wife's phone so I answered. Electronic asking for information to improve Medicare service. We don't have Medicare, and when the first thing it asked was DOB, I hung up. Just don't give out your info at all unless YOU placed the call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Same here, I could hear all the background chatter and knew right away its a spam caller.

Boolit Buddy
    Mary B Awesome job

Boolit Buddy

Had a call last week from an unkown number in my area code, normally I ignore but will occasionally answer especially if the call is before 7am - dead ringer EVERY time.

I answer and the lady with a slight Asian accent asks to speak to me (by name), I replied, "speaking". She then says she is calling from Medicare, I ask, "Is this really Medicare or a sales call?" She says, "Yes, I am calling from Medicare." Then I ask why Medicare is calling me @ 6:45AM from Brian Davidy's phone number? Click.
    Last edited by PhilC; 07-19-2022 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Grand Master

No government agency, bank etc will call and request any information like that. Exception is a bank that suspects a fraudulent charge or unauthorized transaction and is asking if it was you. They will know the location and exact amount. That has happened to me a couple of times. All of my cards have this fraud feature and one of them I set up to text me immediately every time I use it. If stolen I can go online and lock it right then. Otherwise, I let unknown numbers go to voicemail. If seem legit I call not the number left but number from the companies website. Never reply to any email or phone number with the information they give you.

I can't remember the last time I got a call about winning a prize or something like that. I wish I had been standing next to MaryB for that operation.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum