WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 45lc & h110

Boolit Buddy

45lc & h110

I have H110 to load my 45 LC with. Bullets are getting expensive, and I have the Lee 230grn mold. In the Lee manual for Ruger only loads there is a load for 240 grn jacketed bullet. My thinking is if I lower my powder starting point by 10% I should be ok. BTW my boolits end up 233 -242 grns.

Boolit Man
    As posted elsewhere on this site, be VERY careful about H110, it does not play well with reduced loads. I use it in my 454 Casull, pushing 360gr WC close to max. H110 is a powder best served at full volume.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Buddy

thanks for the info

Boolit Grand Master

That Lee 230 gr cast bullet will probably not prove to be a good combo with H110 in a 45 Colt. To burn ignite and efficiently with that lightweight bullet for the bore you'll have to push it at max. At a max load you will be pushing that PB bullet too fast. If you try it cast them very hard and heat treat maybe. Better to just get a more appropriate powder of a much heavier GC'd bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

my load is 19.0 H110, generally using a 300gr GC bullet. Shoots great in my ruger BH 45C and nary one misfire over several thousand rds year around. H110 needs heavy bullets IMO and it just works if using them.

Boolit Master

That's what I've found with the H-110/296 powders as well. The heavier the bullets, the better those powders perform.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I’ve never had good luck with H110 and cast bullets. It takes a heavy bullet and/or heavy crimp to help build consistent pressure. You have to to use what you’ve got, but either of the 4227’s have always given me more accurate loads although not as high velocity as H110. Before I quit using it with up to 270 grain bullets, I’d frequently get squib loads. A magnum primer stopped that but still wasn’t nearly as accurate as 4227

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing but problems with H-110 in 44 mag.

The boy recently got a Henry 45 Colt so I've been looking at different loads that would be good for it. I buy H110/W296 by the 8# container for use in 44 mag and similar cartridges. Very happy with it, but it's more of a full throttle or use something else type of powder. Take a look at Unique, IMR/H 4227, W231, Blue dot, Green dot, HS-6, 2400 for milder loads.