Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: S&W Model 69 trigger spring kit

S&W Model 69 trigger spring kit

Fellas:
    I just picked up the M69 and it needs a lighter trigger. Stock trigger is 4.5 pounds, but clean. I think a spring change and polishing will make it ‘mo better, but have been out of the S&W revolver world for a while. I have seen the Wilson Combat kit, and am sure Wolff offers one. What is the consensus on the best?
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

If this gun will be a self defense piece and you want to use factory ammunition, I recommend a Wolff 14 pound rebound and polishing the internals. If it is a range toy or a game gun then I recommend bending the factory leaf similar to the Wilson Combat springs. The jig I use is just 2 nails in a piece of scrap wood one inch apart. The jig isn't really required, it just allows you to put reference marks on the wood and control the process better for "a little more" and "a little less" adjustments.

A stock spring in the jig.

A spring bent to provide ~8 pound DA pull with a Wolff 14 pound rebound. Note the difference in the position of the base end. The witness mark drawn is how far the spring was flexed to provide the bend that gives this relaxed position.

A stock and bent spring side by side.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Imashooter, thanks for the reply and info. I have slimmed down a k frame mainspring as Skeeter wrote about, but that was 30+ years ago. I like your idea better. This will not be a carry revolver other than outside around the house place. Single action trigger is far more important to me than DA, and I should have stated that up front.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

Then polish it up and put in a Wolff 12 pound rebound. Reset would be a bit slow for rapid fire, but just fine for targets and single action will be nice and light.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Thank you again, sir! That is what I will try.
    Tony

Moderator Emeritus

I know that components are tough to find, but I would run 200+ rounds through it before I touched anything.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

MT Gianni:
    I will do that. I’ve dry fired it a couple hundred times and will get to the range next week.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I just installed the Wolf Type 1 kit in a Model 66 using the 13 lb rebound spring. Very sluggish, IMO. I switched to the 14.

Be sure to order the Type 1 for an SD gun. You can also install an Apex extended firing pin for a little extra ooomph.