Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: What is market value on M1 Garands?

Boolit Buddy

What is market value on M1 Garands?

I got a few, kinda need to start thinning the collection.Our last fire evacuation has me thinking about how easy it is to lose a large collection.
    So for CMP field and rack grade shooters, not special/collectable rifles, what is the local market doing?
    Would maybe entertain selling the M1D with the correct scope also (CMP papers too), anyone got an idea what those are going for?

Check the auction sites. There's always a few on them.
    Just watch them for awhile and see what the various ones in decent condition are going for.

The more you go below that, the quicker they will sell.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I just today received a couple rack grade M1's, and the current cost is $ 650. Not sure if the field grade are in stock, but I think they were $ 750 when last offered. Not sure what the M1D's are going for now, maybe the CMP forum will give you some current info.

Boolit Master

Shooter grade M1s are going for $1000-$1200 here in southern Oregon.
    These are the prices I have on sales between individuals.
    Prices asked at gun shows are just stupidly high.

I just sent 3 off to Gunbroker.com via Lock, Stock & Barrel auctioneers. They won't hit the auction until August, so we'll see........

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks! I know that the market is what ever the market will bear, and I thought that around $1000 seams to be the going rate for a private transfer in many places. I actually stopped looking at Gunbroker during the pandemic as the prices were stupid for everything.
    I have an 03FFL and have bought and sold plenty on GunBroker, but never any other auction sites, I hate that learning curve when getting used to the nuances of different sites.

Around here $1000 would be the starting point..

Boolit Master
    Photog,
    The Value of a Garand is whatever a willing buyer will offer a willing seller. As Bruce Canfield said in his book, "most Garands went through one or more rebuilds." In the last 75 years, much has occurred. I appraise firearms for a living. I need to handle the rifle in order to set a value.

Adam

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Photog View Post
    I got a few, kinda need to start thinning the collection.Our last fire evacuation has me thinking about how easy it is to lose a large collection.
    So for CMP field and rack grade shooters, not special/collectable rifles, what is the local market doing?
    Would maybe entertain selling the M1D with the correct scope also (CMP papers too), anyone got an idea what those are going for?
    I have seen M1 Garand prices from as low as $850.00 USD to $15,700.00 USD! Sooo much depends upon the rifle's condition as well as parts makeup. Some considerations include "as factory issue" -- which does NOT indicate ALL parts are of same manufacture. With a war going on a production as the only priority, when Manufacturer "A"'s bin of a part became low, often parts were received from Manufacturer "B", or "C", or ??? until their void was negated with a new supply. Secondly, in field armorers job was 100% to get working rifles in the hands of the troops. My dad, who spent a couple of years in the Philippine jungles during WWII once commented that quite a few "down times" were spent disassembling rifles, tossing each serviceable part into its respective bucket for the armorers to have the parts to, again, get a 100% working rifle in their troops' hands. And... the "big #3" which was the Arsenal rebuilds. And, another "and" not to be omitted, although rarely mentioned, are the enterprising persons who bought train-cars of parts and put together rifles from these for post-war sales. Some, too, marketed some "from scratch" -- often with receives made in Spain, from what I've read.
    That said, a plain-Jane "correct" M1 seems to be, by my observation, in the $1,495.00 price range. A local shop had anClick image for larger version. 

Name:	H&R Perf M1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	302071 H&R in the 5,627,xxx range -- with a cut bayonet included, for $1,595.00. (I sent a letter to CMP, and it turned out to have been a CMP 'correct' sale rifle). A fine seller, too, of old guns is on the Old Gun net, where they had a 1943 Springfield at $1,495.00.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Gun Springfield M1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	302072
    The M1D brings up a whole new world. I was visiting a while back with the owner, and Garand Expert, of a shop on Long Island, NY, when -- by happenstance -- a gentleman brought in what he believed to be a 100% correct M1D. The shop owner just glanced -- and I mean "GLANCED" at it while stating it's NOT genuine! The rifle owner was more than a tad annoyed, and I recall the owner first stating the the cheek pieces (genuine) inner's were of one colour -- with the one on the rifle not. He stated the 'scope mount was original/correct -- but the scope was a repro. He then pointed out about a dozen other anomalies...
    IF your is a for-real 100% with CMP papers to affirm this -- the ones I've seen START at about $3,450.00 USD. I would check with Mr. Spangler or Mr. Wade at Old Gun net; or, perhaps Mr. (Anthony) Pucci at Orion7 enterprises. Might be worth a 'phone call and they'd surely have lots of great info.
    Hope this helps...
    geo
    P.S.: Just as an added note, a good friend two years ago bought a $780.00 Springfield. I noted the s/n's did not jive on receiver -- and, most sad but true -- the receiver was a "weldamatic" -- two halves -- not even of same manufacture -- welded together after mil-cutting -- to produce a saleable rifle... Your CMP papers may be invaluable -- like it or not -- the way it is -- there are a few not-that-upright Garand sellers out there...
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 07-12-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Photog View Post
    Last show at Fort Tuthill had a table with ~20 Garands and 5 Carbines, they appeared to be CMP/DCM with no import marks or paperwork. They were priced from $1000 - $1400. He didn't sell one. They just aren't as popular anymore to the general masses.

I'd love to buy a bunch and give one to all my young relatives, but I don't think they would really appreciate them, or be able to afford shooting them without me subsidising the ammo for them.

I hope you didn't have any problems with the water yesterday. I can relate to your state of mind concerning losing everything to fire, I am 400 yards from the Shultz burn, had 2 feet of mud against the house from the Shultz flood, am 150 yards away from the Tunnel fire, and the USFS backburned to within 20 yards from the house on the Pipeline burn, one neighbor got totally burned out even with the backburning, and one neighbor had entire property burned over but fire crews saved the house.
    Last edited by Bwana John; 07-15-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have two. A true number's matching CMP rifle, all original except the stock and virtually unfired (muzzle and throat 0-1 on the gauge) and a very clean good shape Commercial M1 (National Ordnance Inc-- commercial receiver with a very low wear Springfield Armory barrel, bolt, OP rod, trigger group, etc). $1,250 for the CMP rifle five years ago and $600 for the other fairly recently. That's kinda the range.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    I have one that’s been fitting with a plastic stock. Seems odd.
    I wonder if it’d worth fitting it with a wood stock?

Boolit Master
    The WWII guns were going through a revival of sorts for the past 5-10 years. Prices made a big jump back in the 2015 time range. M1 carbines went from $400 range to $800 range (and more for some). Garands had a similar jump with any shootable rifle going for over $1000.

I think the market is readjusting again as prices have been stable for a few years now, with some decreasing in value (especially the lower grade stuff). I know a few guys who jumped on any Garand they could get and are now selling in order to get specific versions, especially rifles made earlier in WWII. Add to that the stuff the CMP is selling and the casual Garand shopper is just not going to spend as much. That will drop the prices on all but the more collectible versions.

Boolit Master

For the serviceable mixmaster shooter grade guns you're describing, $1000 to $1200 seems to be the starting point.

Korea/post-Korea isn't too hard to find correct and matched - somewhat higher for that.

WWII, correct, matched, and not beat up. . .you'd better sit down.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.